Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 96
Points 2,025
Barb S Posted: Fri, May 18 2012 12:02 AM

I don't usually leave a lot of messages here -- but I do love reading others!  

But today, I am just so excited about my sewing room !!! Finally, it is no longer a combination guest room/sewing room -- it is ALL MINE and ALL SEWING ROOM.  I convinced my DH and DD to help me take down the bed -- had to clean out the attic so I could store the bed in there -- and got to organize and set up my sewing room just the way I wanted it!  It is so lovely to just go in there now and have everything at hand, all organized and with plenty of room and closet space for all my gadgets and notions, fabric and yarn . . .  and all 3 of my sewing machines set up and ready to use!!

There's a window seat for reading, or just thinking; a rocking chair (the same rocking chair that I used to rock my baby girl thirty years ago); a desk with my laptop and my grandmother's Bible on it, and glass paperweights that I have collected over the years; a cutting table and an ironing/work table that my husband made for me, a bookcase for all my quilting, knitting, crocheting books and enough storage containers to hold all my "stuff".  I am truly in heaven!

I hate to admit it but I really wasn't enjoying my sewing time before I re-organized.  It seemed like so much WORK to maneuver around the bedroom furniture and to try to keep things neat -- and I seemed to always be shifting things around, trying to make room for "stuff".

Fortunately we have a second guest room -- and, in a pinch, I guess I could set up a bed again in the sewing room -- but someone would have to really, really convince me.

The second thing I am excited about is that today, I tried my very first applique project -- a small pillow -- and I loved it!!!  Who knew???  I didn't know it would be so much fun!  So now I am looking all over the internet for applique tutorials and taking a second look through all my magazines and books -- Hey did I see there was an applique group on QCA??  I need to check that out!

Thanks for reading my rant -- I am a happy quilter tonight.

BarbS

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,354
Points 31,930
MaxNTopeka replied on Fri, May 18 2012 12:13 AM

Barb,

You will have so much fun in your new room!  Quilters are taking over the world...one room at a time!

Max

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, May 18 2012 12:15 AM

Barb ,WTG on the new room and your applique project, have fun, Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Fri, May 18 2012 12:17 AM

barb, it is wonderful to have a dedicated sewing room.    congrats. and yes we have an applique group here, come on over and check it out.    do we get to see your first applique project?

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 96
Points 2,025
Barb S replied on Fri, May 18 2012 1:01 AM

Oh Gini!  I am so afraid to post pictures of my projects!  I love looking at the gallery and am so amazed by the beautiful quilts and projects I see there -- mine are getting better -- and I am working on a baby quilt now that I am almost proud enough to show -- but nothing to compare with the beautiful work I have seen posted here.  Maybe when I feel more confident --

Actually, I decided to give applique a try because the baby quilt I am working on is from a pattern that I saw in a magazine -- and it had gorgeous flower appliques in the border.  I left the appliques off  my quilt because I didn't know how to do them-- and the quilt is still very nice without them -- but, I just decided I liked it so much I would probably do it again -- and, the next time I make this quilt I want it to have the flowers in the border!!!!!

So, yes!!  I DID check out the applique group and I will be spending more time there, for sure!

Thanks so much to everyone for your encouragement. And, now I am off to bed 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,233
Points 35,340
Linda replied on Fri, May 18 2012 4:50 AM

Congratulations! When I got my dedicated sewing room, I felt like I had finally grown up.  I was so exited when I completed my first project in there!

I wish you many hours of happy, joyful quilting in your new sewing room! Please post some pictures so we can see where you will be spending so many  hours of bliss.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Barb - I am so happy that you got a room just for YOU!!!!  I too had a combo sewing guest room.  I think my hubby decided to give up when the bed was always covered up with stacks of fabric.  :o) 

I am just learning applique too.  I was a dunce in Gini's needle turn applique class at Virginia Beach but I did pretty well in the fused applique class I took at the quilt shop where I work. 

PLEASE don't be afraid to post pictures of your work.  Every one here is so helpful and encouraging.  We want to see pictures of y our new sewing room too!

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, May 18 2012 6:03 AM

Barb

Congratulations on the new sewing space.  You are going to have so much fun with your sewing now.  And Yes there is an applique group here at QCA.  Gini is the leader and does an excellent job.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,327
Kris replied on Fri, May 18 2012 3:29 PM

Congrats on getting your own space Barb.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, May 18 2012 9:31 PM

Barb, how exciting that you have a dedicated sewing room now.  It sounds great, but pictures would give us the whole story!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Sat, May 19 2012 1:17 AM

Thats great your spare room came together,  i've been working on mine for two days.  I'm having a hard time giving up some furniture to accomodate a main floor sewing room.  My original area was in basement Laundry room... wish me luck ... we really just need a bigger house.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,401
Points 45,155

Congratulations on your "new" space. Isn't it fun to just go in and look at it. Enjoy!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Barb congrats on your new sewing space.  I also have a new sweing space since we are in a bigger house than before.  Now I just need to get brave and practice applique as I do have many projects that have applique.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Sat, May 19 2012 10:44 AM

margaret, how are you settling in?

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Gini the house is pretty much put together except hanging things on the wall and DH has some organizing in his office to do.  If I could just find a job than I would feel a little better about the move.  California makes it difficult to get a job in child care but now that I know the hidden rule I can get that part taken care of and then pray that another chance at a job comes up soon.

Margaret

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use