Top 10 Posters

Was wondering about sewing machines at Walmart/Sears?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 46 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy posted on Mon, May 14 2012 10:57 AM

I was wondering if anyone has gotten a sewing machine from Wal-mart or Sears before, Yesterday I was at Super Wal-mart in Ardmore and noticed that they had more sewing Machines and even embroidery ones to on the shelf. My mom recently got one from Sears and it sews like a dream but I have only gotten one from Wal-mart and it was a Singer but that was a 5 years ago. But, I haven't since then I need one that I can quilt on and do decorative stitches with. We only have 2 sewing stores the Sewing Center and Hobby lobby, the others are in TX which is 45 Mins away. Does anyone have suggestions?

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Welcome Oklahomamom2,

Please be very careful when purchasing a machine of any sort from Walmart.  Many times, the machines are refurbished and have problems that show up after you have them home.  I got 2 bad sergers in a row and then looked on the bottom of the box. There was a white typed piece of paper saying REFURB on it. 

Dealers stand behind their products and service with classes usually.

Good luck,

Judylee

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

I can relate to sewing centers being miles away.   So here is what I have done and why.    The KenMore machines at sears used to be made by Jerome which is a good name.  That is not true as of this year.  

I have a brother SQ9000 that I just got at walmart as a "take to hospice and anywhere else machine.  It is computorized, but not an embroidery.  It is very light and does some decrotive stitches and monogram.  Sew like a dream, I just don't like the vertical spool pins anymore.   I also have a brother  XL6563 I have had this machine for over 30 years and it is currently giving some problems.

I have a Brother Quattro 6000 D      This is a very high end embroidery machine and I would not but something like this type of machine except from a dealer.  You really need dealer support  with this type of machine.   

That said, you need to decide what you want the machine to do and how much you can spend.  then look at them online before you venture into a WalMart or Sears. Trust me it will help when you look at what they have.

Good luck

Granny M

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, May 14 2012 9:50 PM

I also purchased one from WalMart 10yrs ago took it to VB Retreat it's still running great .

Top 500 Contributor
Female
96 Posts
Points 2,045
Barb S replied on Mon, May 14 2012 11:03 PM

I have a Brother sewing machine that I purchased at Wal-Mart.  I also have a Singer that I purchased about 15 years ago at a department store.  I bought the Brother because I was having some problems with my Singer and thought it was a goner, but didn't want to spend a lot of money, either on a new machine or repairs.  Well, after I got the Brother, my husband, who, I will admit, is an extremely knowledgeable and handy guy, completely overhauled the Singer.  Bottom line --both machines run great and do a good job.  The throat space on the Brother is smaller than I would like -- but I have done both twin and full size quilts on it -- I haven't tried to do a queen-size yet, but I believe someone on QCA said it can be done.

As I write this, there is a notepad next to me on my desk with the names and model numbers of machines that I am researching (and saving up for) but if I were in your place, I would buy the machine at Wal-Mart.  The price is affordable -- Wal-Mart will generally accept any returns if the product doesn't work for you -- and later on you may be able to find a better machine at a good price and still have your Wal-Mart machine as a traveler.

I prefer my Singer for piecing (sews a straighter, truer 1/4 inch seam) and my Brother for quilting (has all the bells and whistles I need for the quilting I do, now) -- and I have the service issue solved with my wonderful DH -- and his repair service is free!  

Hope this helps!

BarbS

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455

The Quilt Daddy:

Little know fact about Sears sewing machine. They are made for Sears by Janome. Many times you are buying a better machine for the money than you would think. The savings by buying the machine under the Sears name can be as much as $100 to $500 pver Janome price when buying from a dealer. Case in point I purchased a Kenmore Embroidery machine in 1999 for $1500. Quite a bargain I thought at the time but was shocked to learn that the Janome branded machine that was being sold under Sears emblem was the Janome 5400 copst $5000. My savings was $3500. I still sew on the machine today and have never regreted buying it from Sears.

WalMart sewing machines are what is referred to as throw away machines. They cost very little and most of the time they cannot be repaired so you have to buy another machine.

I was shopping at my sewing machine dealer recently with my DIL who was interested in buying a machine.  There were Kenmore machines displayed with the Janomes, Elnas, and Brothers.  I asked about the Kenmores and the sales person said that they had the opportunity to buy remaining Kenmores from Janome because Singer was contracted to build Kenmores now.  

You're right, Richard, they are basically the same machine with the Kenmore name on them.  Kenmores have been very good machines for many years.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Tue, May 15 2012 7:39 PM

I have a Simplicity sewing machine that I got at Wal-Mart in 2004.  I've never had any problems with it and I use it a lot!

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 295

I recently purchased a Brother Emb. machine from a reseller on Amazon.com. The same machine was avaiable from WalMart but had to be ordered - they didn't stock it. So the machine at WalMart wasa  good one, but I'm happy with Amazon.. Even though it was a 'net order, I knew there would be no problems and it arrived in 2 days. shocker for me. The only problem I had was choosing the best deal. The same machine had 1/2 dozen different prices because the seller was including different bonus packages with each.

Melting in Florida

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,092

I have several Brother Machines I purchased at Wal-Mart, and haven't had to throw them away yet, still running great

[Ava, Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
Female
457 Posts
Points 7,165
Mz M replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 4:52 PM

Quilt Daddy - My first purchase of a sewing machine that was 'all mine', just out of H.S., was a Kenmore that lasted forever! I wish I still had it as it was running great but at that time in my life I was more about the bells and whistles than basic function. Don't get my wrong........I do love my Esante and have had her since 99 but the thought of not having to take my machine in to get worked on would be so wonderful. My Kenmore was really a jewel for me and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

I used to work for a Brother/Baby Lock dealer and the service tech would always be albe to tell, once he opened the machine up, if it came from a box type store like Walmart.  Oh the potty talk that would come out of his mouth...............lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Nana:
I don't have to pay for service on my Bernina that I bought at a LQS and machine sales.  I would have to pay for parts if something broke but the labor is free.  And the annual checkups is free.

That's a heck of a deal, Nana.  Did your LQS sell you a service plan or something?  I pay $80 for a basic clean, lube, adjust on my Bernina at the very store where I bought it.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

Richard, I have a Brother from Wal Mart. Have been using it for 7 years and it runs like a top. I took it in to my LQS, who sells Brother, and she cleaned it up for me. She said it is in great shape and will keep going for a long, long time.  So, it is not a "throwaway" machine.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,828 Posts
Points 248,709

I have to add that I purchased a singer machine from Walmart back in 1994,and this machine is still working today , She is a great machine ,but didn't have all the extras I use today, but I would never get rid of her,  so I say the decision has to be yours,  good luck. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Male
18 Posts
Points 240
Frank replied on Mon, Jul 2 2012 12:11 PM

I would find a dealer and try out their versions. I bought one(Brother) from W alMart years ago and there was no one that could repair or answer my questions.  I just purchased another Brother from a dealer and now have someone to perform maintanence and can answer questions. I also have a warranty that i can go directly to the dealer for which was not the deal at WalMart.

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use