Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 115
Sallie McDaniel Posted: Sun, May 13 2012 11:17 AM

I  would like to make a quilt as a gift to my son and his bride for their upcoming wedding. I am considering the Double Wedding Ring quilt pattern but with a modern twist. There seems to be several approaches to making this quilt. I would like to hear from quilters who have made this quilt, what method did you use and how would you give it a modern twist? Sallie M

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sun, May 13 2012 11:40 AM

Sallie--

In the book, "Relax and Quilt" (edited by Patricia Wilens and published by Oxmoor House) has a great pattern called "Chains of Love".  It was very easy to do and looks great as a scrappy quilt.  I saw that it is available at amazon.com

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,126
Points 411,209
gini replied on Sun, May 13 2012 12:56 PM

hi sally, welcome to the group. DWR's look very modern in batiks, and they're beautiful too.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Sun, May 13 2012 3:15 PM

Sally,

Gini's idea of batiks sounds wonderful. Makes me want to make another one. I used the book and templates from a book I purchased from Joann's.Sorry,  I don't recall the author.

Welcome to the site.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,645
Points 61,920
Jacy replied on Sun, May 13 2012 3:24 PM

Sally, if you go to google images and type in 'double wedding ring quilts' there are all kinds of ones to look at.

Also fons and porter sells a kit for a pre-cut batik  DWR quilt here  https://www.shopfonsandporter.com/product/Batik-Double-Wedding-Ring-Pre-cut-Quilt-Kit/best-sellers?m=cfpics

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,944
Points 234,267
Thea replied on Sun, May 13 2012 4:15 PM

Sally - we also have a DWR group that I have posted that shows you how to make one using John Flynn's method...check it out!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Wed, May 16 2012 7:48 AM

Sally I used Eleanor Burns pattern from her book "Egg Money Quilts."  She has free videos on her website that you can watch over and over. I used this method because it is so much quicker and easier than the traditional pattern. It uses pre-printed fusible interfacing which really helps a lot.

My modern twist....I used batiks for the rings and white Kona cotton for the background. It really came out great! I enjoyed making this quilt so much, I am thinking of making 2 more to put away for my children when they get married.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 4,891

I have the DWR dies for my Accuquilt Studio and could pre cut the pieces with fabric you choose.

Rose Hall

Custom Quilt Kits

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Annette replied on Fri, May 17 2013 6:25 PM

I too have the DWR dies from accuquilt. I am now trying to figure out how many jelly rolls I will need to do the arches on the accuquilt for a queen quilt for my son and his soon to be wife. Does anyone know?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 280
Points 5,325
tnmtgrl replied on Fri, May 17 2013 10:50 PM

Sallie...I have also used the Eleanor Burns way from the same Egg Money Quilts book...it is very simple to follow and comes with the templates...I also ordered the acrylic template when I ordered the book and the printed fusible interfacing. I actually started on one on wednesday and have one block completed, I am using scraps and the arcs are coming out quite colorful.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, May 18 2013 12:31 PM

There was a beautiful one on the thread of the Modern Quilt Show in Texas.  Very different and still oh so lovely.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use