Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy Posted: Fri, May 11 2012 1:19 PM

Liz Kettle has an informative article on tension adjustments on the Havel's sewing website.

http://blog.havelssewing.com/sewing-tension/

The tension sampler she recommends sewing reminds me of the stitching bible Barbara put together for her Craftsy Class.  I'll have to try this...

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Fri, May 11 2012 1:52 PM

nancy, i got another bobbin case so i have one to fiddle with,  and one i leave strictly alone

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sat, May 12 2012 7:26 AM

I'm going to buy another bobbin case for the same reason.  Since it's a Bernina, I'm going to wait until they have a sale and pick them up.  They are a bit expensive around here.  Or I may wait until I go up north and stop in Pa. where I bought my machine.  Their prices were much better than down here.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, May 12 2012 4:00 PM

Diana:

I'm going to buy another bobbin case for the same reason.  Since it's a Bernina, I'm going to wait until they have a sale and pick them up.  They are a bit expensive around here.  Or I may wait until I go up north and stop in Pa. where I bought my machine.  Their prices were much better than down here.

Diana in East Tn. 

I've had very good luck getting a reasonable price on bobbins for my Bernina 200e here: 

http://www.sewingsupplywarehouse.com/ispoemth15mc.html

Click on Bobbins in the column on the left; then enter your Machine Brand & model in the search field.  Right now, the bobbins for my machine are $1.89 ea, but I have seen them on sale for less here.  You might want to keep checking this site for good buys.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 12 2012 4:53 PM

Not sure how this conversation turned to bobbins.  Liz's article is all about experimenting with the top tension dial.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Sat, May 12 2012 6:27 PM

i have a tension dial on my bobbin case.   i have an extra case that i fiddle with and one case i leave at factory settings. as far as i know i don't have a dial for top tension. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 12 2012 9:08 PM

You most likely do on your Bernina.  :-)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Sun, May 13 2012 1:04 PM

MNnancy:
You most likely do on your Bernina.

i gave it back to my aunt.  it probably did, i just never messed with the tensions back then,  too hard to get it back to normal

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,524
Points 138,853
Stephanie replied on Sun, May 13 2012 1:16 PM

Great article Nancy.

I too have a separate bobbin case for playing with tension. This of course was after I dove in and turned that screw and couldn't get it back to factory settings.  I had to order a replacement to compare and be able to set the screw back to it's original posititon. A live and learn experience that only needs to happen once. LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 12:32 PM

Hi All,

The proper bobbin tension is set using the thread you want to use, i.e. piecing weight.  Put a full bobbin in the bobbin case and attach a weight of .80 oz. Give the case a brief shake and the weight should fall slowly for a short distance.  This works for any thread, so you can adjust the tension for very fine thread like 60 or 70 wt embroidery bobbin thread or 12 wt cotton thread for crewel-type embroidery.  I have one bobbin case set for regular 50 wt sewing thread and another set for my 60 wt embroidery bobbin thread. 

HTH

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use