Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590
MaryLeeHayden Posted: Thu, May 10 2012 2:48 PM

Okay...they know because I asked them what colors they liked. My DS and future DDIL are getting married "sooner than later" according to them. I want to make a DWR quilt for them and asked their colors and size of their bed. It's not a surprise. However, I am totally freaked out about doing it. It's just so much more than I have ever done. 

Sometimes I think my mouth has more courage than I do. I could have just told them I wanted to make them a quilt. I'm good at log cabins. lol

• | Post Points: 140
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,496
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Thu, May 10 2012 2:52 PM

Hi Mary,    I would do a Log Cabin for their wedding and maybe the DWR for their first, fifth...anniversary.  Gives you time to get good at your quilting and gives them a quilt for their wedding gift.   How does that sound???  Works for me...lol

Diana in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965

Gee, Mary, do they know what a DWR quilt looks like?  Maybe you could do them a Log Cabin and just label it as "DWR"....we won't tell them any different.

Max

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

you know...log cabins can be arranged in lots of different ways...perhaps I can make one LOOK like a DWR :D

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,009
Points 19,440

Mary - DEEP BREATH!!  OK, I agree with Diana and you should do a log cabin and the the DWR for an anniversary.  This way you can do what you are comfortable with now and start planning to tackle the DWR a little later.  I've never done a DWR myself, but if you have questions/ problems with getting started - I bet someone coming to the SM retreat can help---

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Thu, May 10 2012 3:10 PM

Sharon Peterson has an appliqued DWR that I may try.  I'm not sure it its on line but you could look. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,446
Points 361,712
Kris replied on Thu, May 10 2012 3:46 PM

Mary,

once you get over this freak out and take a look at the DWR you'll see it's not that difficult. You can make single arcs instead of pieced one and there are may configurations to this beautiful pattern. 

I say go for it. Don't rush. You can give them a different wedding present then the DWR quilt for their first anniversary if you don't have time before the wedding.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 96
Points 2,025
Barb S replied on Thu, May 10 2012 3:58 PM

If you really WANT to do a DWR -- DO IT!  

Some of us wouldn't  be brave enough to quilt, at all, if we hadn't decided to challenge ourselves to do something different and outside our comfort zone.  My mother's very first quilt was a DWR that she hand-pieced and hand-quilted -- I know because it was a wedding present for me and my husband -- and it is still  my most precious possession after 18 years!  I just got it out a few days ago to look at it again -- now that I am a quilter, myself -- anf, yes. I see a few errors -- but it is still the most precious quilt in the world, to me!  

I say again; if you WANT to do it -- DO IT!  Pour your love and good wishes into it -- and I assure you it will be a treasure to your son and daughter-in-law.

BarbS

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Thu, May 10 2012 5:44 PM

Mary

The hardest part of the DWR is the curved seams.  If you really want to make one I will be glad to help you with getting started on the curved seams at retreat.  Just have some of your pieces cut and we can go from there.  Just take a deep breath and relax.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, May 10 2012 5:45 PM

Mary if you go to groups Thea has a whole big tutorial on how to make a DWR, You just have to join the group. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:39 PM

Nana:

Mary

The hardest part of the DWR is the curved seams.

and those seams aren't that hard. you just measure the center points and pin.   a curved seam is just a series of tiny straight seams.    stitch stitch pivot, stitch stitch pivot.   at first you go slow, but after you get a few under your belt, you can stitch and  pivot at the same time.   you get in a rhythm and they're kinda fun.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:44 PM

Mary,

First of all, either one you go with they will certainly cherish. Secondly,  I have done one DWR and that was queen size for my Mom as a Christmas gift. I was still very new at quilting. Mom had one when her and my Dad were first married and didn't know what happened to it. I was certainly afraid to jump in but managed to do so. I purchased the templates  and book from Joann's and away I went. The cutting out was really fast. I have one of the turn table cutting mats and a small rotary cutter. The 28mm size works great with the templates.  Do lots of pinning for the curves and points.  By the time you get done with the quilt, curves will be a piece of cake for you from then on out. LOL  Nana has offered to help you at the retreat so take her up on her offer.  She'll probably have some great pointers.

Good luck and remember that whatever pattern you decide to do, it won't be the last quilt they'll want from you.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 1,685
Lisa Y. replied on Fri, May 11 2012 12:48 PM

You know, Eleanor Burns has an easy applique method of doing a Double Wedding Ring quilt. I believe it was in her "Egg Money Quilts" book, but she may have a separate pattern available as well. She cuts all the pieces from strips using a template, sews them together to make an oversized curved piece, then sews lightweight nonwoven fusible interfacing on it in the arc shape. After trimming it, she turns it right side out, presses it, and then machine appliques it onto the block. It looks great, not like a "cheater" method at all. 

In fact, if you are a premium member of QCA, you can watch her video of it on QNNTV. 

Have fun!

Lisa

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,266
Points 35,145
Granny M replied on Fri, May 11 2012 7:16 PM

Mary, don't panic, you have gotten lots of good advice here and really nothing left for me to say.   My experience has been that if I want to do a pattern and I do something else first, I am never satisfied.  There are other types of wedding quilts you could make and do the DWR later.  Here is a picture of one I made for my Grandson,  I had exactly 3 weeks to design and make.  I also did not have the long arm then so did the quilting on the big brother.  So if I can met that deadline, so can you. Oh yes, thier colors were black and white.    Go for it girl

Granny M

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use