Making a cover for my sewing machine

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
chicagosinger posted on Thu, May 10 2012 6:22 AM
As many of you know, I have two cats and a new puppy. One day I noticed that my sewing machine cover, which is made of flimsy plastic, was getting chewed up. Last night I looked at it again, and it's getting really bad. I need to make a replacement cover for my sewing machine, but I haven't the foggiest idea of how to do so. Can anyone help? It occured to me that there may not be a pattern for a sewing machine, and I also know that I need to get measurements of my machine and then add about 2 1/2" allthe bway around to allow for seammallowances and I don't want it to be too snug. Beyond that I have no clue. I'm pretty sure my boys (the cats) are the culprits as they're the only ones who can get to it and at times they are jealous of the pup. I guess they feel that they need to be avenged! (Poor babies!) Anyways, if anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it! Thanx!

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985
Verified by chicagosinger

Chicago,

If you will do a google search, by typing in the words 'sewing machine cover pattern' several search results come up, most of them free.  You can take your pick.

You do realize you are supposed to be sewing so much you don't have time to cover your machine, don't you?

Max

• | Post Points: 40
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,925 Posts
Points 125,055

chicagosinger:
..... I need to make a replacement cover for my sewing machine, but I haven't the foggiest idea of how to do so. Can anyone help?..........Thanx!

When I bought my new Viking a couple years ago the first thing I did was make a quilted cover for it. Not because I needed it but because I wanted to try out my machine and thought it would be fun. No pattern, I winged it. The sewing machine applique was on an old cover that I'd made 30 years before on my first Viking. I cut a slot in the top for the handle and the back is simply 2" squares sewed together for a scrappy look.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 160

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

I was thinking Cover?? when would you use one of those???

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,336 Posts
Points 113,510

What a cool cover.  It shows you really love your sewing maching and quilting.  Really nice!

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
524 Posts
Points 13,340

Love the cover, Judy.  Really awesome!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, May 18 2012 7:28 AM

JUDY, your SMC if adorable.

Does anyone know of any fabric with sewing machine(s) on it?  Even a collection of machines?

OH MY HEAVENS!  I googled "fabric with sewing machines pictures" and came up with some awesome fabrics with beautiful pictures!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, May 18 2012 11:54 AM

Jone,

Can you share the URL?  I have googled but can't find any.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, May 19 2012 9:36 AM

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=fabric+with+sewing+machine+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

in google search I typed fabric with sewing machine pictures

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Judy, i love your sewing machine cover.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,925 Posts
Points 125,055

Margaret Weber:

Judy, i love your sewing machine cover.

Thanks Margaret and everyone who commented. It's gathering dust on my self as who takes the time to cover something that is in continuous use? ;-}   But I have used it when I've taken the machine to class or a retreat. Besides, it was a fun project and a good way to learn my new (at the time) machine.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 295

I recently started cutting straps off totes with interesting designs; one from a hardware store in Kuwait and another from a ski shop - they fit well but they're loose and lightweight without bits to snag thread. But I cut up a couple perfectly good totes first that weren't the right size - either too small or too tall - before I found the right ones.

Melting in Florida

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use