Making a cover for my sewing machine

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
chicagosinger posted on Thu, May 10 2012 6:22 AM
As many of you know, I have two cats and a new puppy. One day I noticed that my sewing machine cover, which is made of flimsy plastic, was getting chewed up. Last night I looked at it again, and it's getting really bad. I need to make a replacement cover for my sewing machine, but I haven't the foggiest idea of how to do so. Can anyone help? It occured to me that there may not be a pattern for a sewing machine, and I also know that I need to get measurements of my machine and then add about 2 1/2" allthe bway around to allow for seammallowances and I don't want it to be too snug. Beyond that I have no clue. I'm pretty sure my boys (the cats) are the culprits as they're the only ones who can get to it and at times they are jealous of the pup. I guess they feel that they need to be avenged! (Poor babies!) Anyways, if anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it! Thanx!

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,355 Posts
Points 31,965
Verified by chicagosinger

Chicago,

If you will do a google search, by typing in the words 'sewing machine cover pattern' several search results come up, most of them free.  You can take your pick.

You do realize you are supposed to be sewing so much you don't have time to cover your machine, don't you?

Max

• | Post Points: 40
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,445 Posts
Points 116,335

chicagosinger:
..... I need to make a replacement cover for my sewing machine, but I haven't the foggiest idea of how to do so. Can anyone help?..........Thanx!

When I bought my new Viking a couple years ago the first thing I did was make a quilted cover for it. Not because I needed it but because I wanted to try out my machine and thought it would be fun. No pattern, I winged it. The sewing machine applique was on an old cover that I'd made 30 years before on my first Viking. I cut a slot in the top for the handle and the back is simply 2" squares sewed together for a scrappy look.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 160

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,355 Posts
Points 31,965
Verified by chicagosinger

Chicago,

If you will do a google search, by typing in the words 'sewing machine cover pattern' several search results come up, most of them free.  You can take your pick.

You do realize you are supposed to be sewing so much you don't have time to cover your machine, don't you?

Max

• | Post Points: 40
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,445 Posts
Points 116,335

chicagosinger:
..... I need to make a replacement cover for my sewing machine, but I haven't the foggiest idea of how to do so. Can anyone help?..........Thanx!

When I bought my new Viking a couple years ago the first thing I did was make a quilted cover for it. Not because I needed it but because I wanted to try out my machine and thought it would be fun. No pattern, I winged it. The sewing machine applique was on an old cover that I'd made 30 years before on my first Viking. I cut a slot in the top for the handle and the back is simply 2" squares sewed together for a scrappy look.

• | Post Points: 160
Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
YES, I know! Ummmm...it's not sitting....ummmmm....I just want it to look goodnon the off chance that it is sitting! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
That's really cute! I think I can figure it out, just need to refer back to the picture you posted, for reference. Thanks for posting it! As a matter of fact, thanks for posting. Guess I needed to look at a picture to wake my brain up! Thanx again! Have a great quilty day!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Thu, May 10 2012 2:08 PM

Chicago, since you have an old cover for your machine you can use that to get basic measurements to make a new one. Is it plastic that can be cut apart? If so you can cut it apart to make a pattern, just remember to add seam allowances.

And yes, look on Google images for 'sewing machine cover'  I get lots of ideas form Google!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
398 Posts
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, May 10 2012 2:13 PM

That is a gorgeous cover.  I need to make one for my machines too, don't think they will look as nice as this though.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
81 Posts
Points 1,685
Lisa Y. replied on Fri, May 11 2012 12:58 PM

That machine cover is gorgeous!  I made a cover for mine because things fall down from above on it (studio ceiling open to second floor and the cat pukes sometimes). Mine is such a plain jane compared to yours! LOL

Well, at least I don't have to worry about cat barf any more... :-)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
Thanks to all for your suggestions and ideas, now I just have to decided which idea to choose! I know... I'll try 'em all and really confuse myself LOL! Just kidding thanks! By the way, LIsa Y., I love your avatar! It's really original and very cute!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, May 15 2012 11:31 AM

Judy,

What a great cover.  You've inspired me to start yet another project !

LOL

Beautiful

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,445 Posts
Points 116,335

Annie:

Judy,

What a great cover.  You've inspired me to start yet another project !

LOL

Beautiful

Annie. Thanks so much. You will have fun making your cover. Even though u seldom use it, it was a good way for me to try out my new machine. 

Top 50 Contributor
2,649 Posts
Points 37,320
ls2116 replied on Tue, May 15 2012 3:06 PM

i love that cover, and if your like me with more than one machine you can cover one.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
203 Posts
Points 3,135

Such a Great Idea.  I have many machines but of course I can only use one at a time.  this allows us to match the shape of the machine with the cover.  Love it !!!

from Minnesota

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Judy - I like that cover you made for your machine.  Mine came with a vinyl cover but someday I want to make pretty ones for my machines.  Right now I am trying to figure out how to make a cover for my keyboard.  I have been collecting black and white "musical" fabrics to do it with. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Tue, May 15 2012 8:43 PM

Judy,

Your cover is beautiful!!!! Got any spare time to make me one or two, wait three? LOL I have bought embroidery designs and fabric  to make covers for mine and still haven't jumped in and done them. I feel so lazy. I even have the pre-quilted fabric. My Vikings came with hard covers but I'd prefer something like this as it would look much nicer in the sewing room. Thanks for sharing a picture.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use