tips and tricks

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 265
flutterbyhats Posted: Tue, May 8 2012 10:25 AM

Attach a self sticking magnetic strip to your sewing machine. You can use it to hold your small scissors or use when removing pins without crowding your sewing area with a pin holder.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

flutterbyhats:

Attach a self sticking magnetic strip to your sewing machine. You can use it to hold your small scissors or use when removing pins without crowding your sewing area with a pin holder.

Cool idea! Very clever.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 310
CarolAnne replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:33 AM

Does the magnetic strip affect sewing machines that are computerized? Just wondering.

Carol Anne

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:42 AM

Great idea Flutterbyhats! I am constantly loosing my scissors!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

CarolAnne:

Does the magnetic strip affect sewing machines that are computerized? Just wondering.

Carol Anne

Carol Anne, good question.  I had always thought you couldn't put magnets on your computer but  in a computer column recently this question was addressed and it said there is no problem with magnets on computers.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:47 AM

Judy thanks for that info ,I have been trying really hard to keep my pin holder away form machine ,because some said a long time ago in one of these threads,that magnets would harm the computer in machines .  Makes it difficult when you have to use pins. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 310
CarolAnne replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:53 AM

Thank you, Judy!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:57 AM

I checked with Husquevarna and they said that the computers and electronics in the new machines are solid state and not affected by magnets.  You may want to check the tech departments for your individual machine makes. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:57 AM

i have an old viking, designer 1 and was told not to put magnets by it,  but they could have changed their minds. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:59 AM

Of course, the age of your machine will make a difference.  I have always put my magnet pin dish by my machine and haven't had any issues.  older one may have different requirments.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 745
Lola B replied on Tue, May 8 2012 12:55 PM

My sisters both have Viking machines, about 2 years old. and my daughter a Brother.  They checked and both manufacturers/dealers said it would be wise to keep magnets at least a foot away from the machine.  i saw a cute pin holder that was on a wristband that would work well for corralling the pins while you are sewing.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,599
Points 119,065

Lola B:
My sisters both have Viking machines, about 2 years old. and my daughter a Brother.  They checked and both manufacturers/dealers said it would be wise to keep magnets at least a foot away from the machine. 

Lola, thanks for the information. Makes me wonder if I've been putting my 2 year old Viking at risk by having my magnetic pin holder sitting next to my machine.  I just called my own dealer who said "Don't think it's a problem".  So, who to believe?  I guess bottom line is, if you're concerned, keep the magnets away from your machine.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Tue, May 8 2012 2:41 PM

Thanks for this very good advice; that is such a costly repair.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,728
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:57 PM

gini:

i have an old viking, designer 1 and was told not to put magnets by it,  but they could have changed their minds. 

Gini,

older machines, like most computers, probably have magnetic hard drives that can be damaged by magnets. IF your machine has a solid state hard drive it will not be affected by magnets. 

In this case I would err on the side of caution and be careful with magnetic items. 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use