In the hoop quilt blocks

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 4,540
lashawng23 posted on Wed, May 2 2012 1:02 PM

Has anyone tried in the hoops quilt blocks?  If so what did you like and what didn't you like?

Northern VA

"Fabricologist Resource Center" ...now doesn't that sound more impressive than "fabric stash" ?

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 150

I make quilts by doing in the hoop quilt blocks and I absolutely love it. They are embroidery patterns that make a finished quilt. I have bought Hoopsisters and Anita Goodesign and wish I could find more designers and patterns.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
gini replied on Wed, May 2 2012 1:56 PM

Walkedl welcome to the group.

Lashawn,  in the hoops block?   Are you talking about quilting with a hoop?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 4,540

Hi Gini,

Yes that is what I am talking about I recently saw a video about it on Nancy's notions by American Designs.

Northern VA

"Fabricologist Resource Center" ...now doesn't that sound more impressive than "fabric stash" ?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 4,540

Thanks for some additional information, hoopsisters looks difficult LOL

Northern VA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
gini replied on Wed, May 2 2012 3:12 PM

Lashawn, American designs are embroidered blocks,   We have quite a few quilters here that use embroidered blocks in their quilts.  

Quilting is the process that is used to sew the three layers of a quilt together.   Confusing, because the entire process is referred to as quilting,also.   So I think you are referring to the embroidered block.   You can do the actual quilting, stitching the layers together, in a hoop, too.  This is usually done by hand.  And there is machine quilting, which refers to sewing the layers together by machine.   We use too many of the same words to refer to different parts of quilting.

I think there is a group here for machine embroidery, that is used in quilting. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
210 Posts
Points 4,540

Sorry Gini,

You are correct I typed what you called embroidered blocks.  On the same site Nany's notions I saw Piece in the Hoop Book and it basically says "Turn your embroidery machine into a block-piecing machine. These projects are pieced and assembled in the hoop with no guesswork."

Northern VA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
gini replied on Wed, May 2 2012 5:52 PM

Lashawn, I haven't seen that book, it sounds interesting.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

walkedl:

I make quilts by doing in the hoop quilt blocks and I absolutely love it. They are embroidery patterns that make a finished quilt. I have bought Hoopsisters and Anita Goodesign and wish I could find more designers and patterns.

Hi walkedl,  Check out the Machine Embroidery Group.  I have several examples posted there of the "in the hoop" quilt I am currently working on that is "Goose Tracks" by Hoop Sisters.  I have been doing this as a Block of the Month quilt at a LQS(local quilt store).  Yahoo, almost done!!!

Click on Groups, scroll down to the Machine Embroidery group and click on it, then click on "Discussions" on the right side of the screen and pick the topic "Quilt in the Hoop"".  There are several pages there with pictures and examples.  Hope that will give you some ideas and/or direction to proceed.

Winthrop, WA

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 150

Yes I create the whole block inside a hoop with an emboridery machine.  If you go to the Hoopsisters website and look at thier quilts you will see what I mean. When you are done with the block the sandwich is all made with the top, batting and backing all put together. Also the design and quilting is done also. The blocks are put together with sashing strips.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use