Thread & Material & Color Mixups!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,090
Susan posted on Sun, Apr 29 2012 9:01 AM

I could really use some help on basic supply issues!

Thanks, Quiltdaddy for explaining about looking for the feel, the opaqueness and the brand of fabric to tell if it's quality. Now I need to expand my supply education.

FABRIC

Just what brands of fabric should I look for?

THREAD

And... What brand of thread do you like & can you find sales on it anyplace? How do you match it easily to patterns? I'd really like to find good quality, less expensive sets of embroidery thread.

I bought an embroidery thread set at my LQS (babylock dealer) but it's NOT a brand that I can find anyplace else and their online ordering system sucks. Now I'm faced with having to try to match colors visually & I'm not good at it. Simple patterns aren't a problem but yesterday I did a test run of a panel with 38 color changes & I'm ready to forget the embroidering part totally!

COLOR MIXUP!

And if that's not enough to make me forget about machine embroidery, for some reason when I purchase a pattern online, the colors listed get all mixed up. If I look at the color chart on the website, the colors are different from what shows up on my machine & even the ones that are listed in the PDF file I've downloaded. Im not just talking about a slight color differentation but blues turn into yellows, blacks to greens (the colors displayed and the descriptions change)! I use the softwar program that came with my Babylock (Palette pts?) Anyone else have this weird problem?

Susan 

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 5:48 PM

Susan,

If you're talking strictly embroidery, I use a variety of threads. Sulky and Maderia mainly.  I try to get mine when Joann's is having a 50% off on threads. Have you tried the site Cute Embroidery.com? It's a site like this one here where you can ask all kinds of questions about embroidery.  Lots of good information on there.  I have seen an answer on there about the different colors showing up strange when you download. Sometimes you can get a color chart to go along with  your design.  Check in your windows explorer area you might find some color charts that may have downloaded with your design. But the answer is yes, I believe most everyone has the color problems. My software will give me the thread color options for different brands of threads. I guess you have to mainly go with what  you would like for the colors.  Be sure you are downloading in the main format for your machine.

Hope I've helped.

Ramona

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Sun, Apr 29 2012 8:49 PM

Thanks, Ramona for the thread suggestions. 

I'll try that website - I haven't come across that one before. Maybe I can solve the color mystery.

In the meantime, it's good to know the color mixup is not just something I screwed up!

Susan 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,126 Posts
Points 411,209
gini replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:58 AM

superior threads has a great section on threads i'll see if i can find it for you

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 12:09 PM

Thanks, Gini, I'll check that site out.

Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
320 Posts
Points 4,485
Ally replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 2:18 PM

If I remember correctly, some embroidery formats don't read true colors and that is the reason you get the different colors.

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 2:47 PM

Ahhhhh

Maybe that's it. I use PES.

Thanks

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,945 Posts
Points 234,272
Thea replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 3:51 PM

I will just answer what I do - not reading anyone else's responses till I am posted...

Fabric - I buy quilt quality fabric - I love Moda, Michael Miller, Alexander Henry, Benartex, Red Rooster, Hoffman, Kaufman, Timeless Treasures, Wilmington

I like Marcus, RJR, Southseas Imports, 

I am very careful when buying Northcott - I always check it for which way it is stretching this time... I do not buy this fabric online

Thread...

I love Aurifil for quilting and for piecing my quilts

I love R/A for embroidery - I do like some gutterman threads for embroidery also...

I like the threads from Connecting threads for piecing but if I had a choice would pick Aurifil

I love Superior threads for invisible thread - I will not use any other for this

If I am doing an embroidery via my machine and for some dumb reason my bobbin thread is showing through I will match all my tops threads with Bottom Line thread - I do use it for a lot of my machine embroidery but mostly when I am aware that for as I said some dumb reason my bobbin thread is showing through and I just can't get it to stop ...

I love madeira for hand applique - it is just a sweet thread for this...

I also use YLI silk thread for hand applique and like it too....

I have some other threads that I have bought over the years and I do use them - have to go look to tell you the brands - but they are 2nd choices and only if I can't match the thread I want any other way without going to the store...

Color Mixup... Okay I think I differ here from tons of other machine embroiderers - I do not care what to match the thread with exactly what they say - if it is a red and they say cardinal red - I might use what ever red that I want to use... I just do not worry that much about it - as long as it looks the way it is supposed to that is good enough for me... 

One thing I can tell you to do with your software though is put in the type of thread that you are using - a lot of them default to different brands - mine defaulted to Sulky which I hardly ever use so I just changed that - and yes colors from one to the next are very different...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,265 Posts
Points 35,160

Susan:

Maybe that's it. I use PES.

My machine also reads PES and I don't have the problem you are describing.   Some thread sites also have a color conversion chart that will take the color and number of one manufactor and tell you what it is from another company.   I think Thread Art has this, I use thier rayon emb thread.  I did have a problem with it until I put it on the thread stand.  It works better there.   I wonder if there is a problem with your machine software.  Have you talked with your Dealer.

Granny M

Not Ranked
Female
62 Posts
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, May 9 2012 10:41 PM

Hi Thea & Granny,

Dont know why my response didn't post, Thea - just realized it! 

Your suggestions were all terrific- thank you! That was so helpful. Not knowing whats a good brand makes it difficult. I was happy to hear Benartex... I've fallen in love with thir collections but hav been afraid to order online.

Color matching by number isn't really my thing either but I've got some patterns I want to run that have 28-34 colors! Telling what's what is impossible. The color chart doesn't nicely state what the threads are running like most I've used do. Ran a (long) test but my color match guesses failed miserably. 

Granny, I did order some (gasp) inexpensive thread from thread art! Didn't expect much but a lesson in what not to buy, but it works great in my machine. Thanks for confirming someone else uses them. They do have a conversion chart. I was so excited to see it! But the patterns I have all seem to call for Madeira rayon thread not listed. Maybe no longer made.....Whew... So close to those panels I want to do.

But what thread stand are you talking about? Would it help with these oversized spools I bought that won't fit horizontally?

I haven't gone back to my batik quilting yet- got sick. Good excuse ;-) Im afraid to try. I did switch out my needles & some little stuff I did worked well. 

I think that may be a UFO for a short time till I get up my nerve to do free motion.

Susan

Top 500 Contributor
Female
151 Posts
Points 1,895
MizPat replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:06 PM

Susan,

For some really good info on the color change charts, go to the SewWhat Yahoo group.  Steve has some really interesting info that helps understand why the colors in the design may not look anything like the colors your software shows.  SandSComputing.com is their website.

Hope this helps

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
88 Posts
Points 1,900
Cindi replied on Tue, May 22 2012 10:19 AM

I have the color change thing happen quite often.  What I do is to simply leave the design open on my computer so I can see the colors in the format I want them.  Then I ignore waht the machine says.

My machine is older and began to have difficulties opening PES files.  So I began to use DST's instead, which it opened quite readily.  The colors are NEVER the same between the two.  Having the software open on the machine also lets me see what is coming next (the stitich preview option is grand!).  Not much irritates me more than changing a thread only to find the next color is only needed for a half dozen stitiches!

I also never try to match colors exactly and in a design that 28 colors or more, I would go through and edit similar shades so they were all one color and simply reduce the number of colors before I went to the machine. (I don't have a lot of patience for hunting thread colors that are a half shade off from one another!)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use