Top 10 Posters

Civil War Block Help, Please!!!!!!!!!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525
CathyQuilter posted on Thu, Apr 26 2012 11:51 PM

Hello! I am in need of help from my new QCA friends! I want to make a quilt for my brother-in-law using Civil War reproduction fabric. I would like to use blocks used in that time period, as well. However, I am new to quilting and have no idea what  the names of blocks from the 1800s are (were). I have googled until I can google no more and can't find the names of blocks from this era so I can find patterns for the blocks. My wish is to give the names of the blocks and a bit of their history along with the quilt. Many blogs have "Civil War" blocks, but either no patterns, or the blocks have names made by the author of the blog to explain a part of the history discussed in the post. Can anyone help me? Thank you! :)

Cathy from California

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

Kris:

Barbara Brackman has a block called Civil War Quilts. She posted a block every week for a year. Check it out you might find something you like. The link I included starts with block one.

She provides some great history with each block as well.

I hope this helps.

What a wonderful resource, Kris! Thank you so much for your help! I am excited to look at this blog more! :)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

Linda:

There is a quilt book called "Underground Railroad" by Eleanor Burns & Sue Bouchard. I'm a former CS re-enactor...contact me at my.sewingroom@hotmail.com and I'll help all I can.

Thank you so much, Linda! I will take a look at this book. I would love to share a little history of the blocks along with the quilt! I may contact you in the near future!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

Judy T-Bellingham:

Linda:

There is a quilt book called "Underground Railroad" by Eleanor Burns & Sue Bouchard. I'm a former CS re-enactor...contact me at my.sewingroom@hotmail.com and I'll help all I can.

The underground railroad is a great book and pattern. It was my first major quilt. Picture is in my gallery. 

I took a peak at your quilt, Judy. It is beautiful!

Cathy

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

Judy Lee:

Hi CathyQuilter,

What a coincidence! I was just on Cnnecting Threads and the have a Civil War collection and books on the Civil War blocks as well.

Good lucky,

Judylee

Wow, Judylee, I will have to check it out! :)

Cathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
26,274 Posts
Points 389,727
Kris replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 1:08 AM

CathyQuilter:
What a wonderful resource, Kris! Thank you so much for your help! I am excited to look at this blog more! :)

You're welcome Cathy.

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

The Quilt Daddy:

A great pattern for a man's quilt is Fiddlesticks by Kansas City Quilters.

You are right, Richard!!! That is a very handsome quilt pattern, indeed. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Cathy

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

MelodyP MO/KS:
Cathy, I have been so interested in the history of the Civil War and the fabric used. I checked out books in this subject and ended up buying the ones I liked. Barbara Brackman has been who I've learned a great deal from. A soldiers quilt that many a wife, mother sister etc may be good for you to start on. It was a simple four patch quilt that was just wide enough and long enough to cover a soldier in the field. Of course we have a lot more resources and time today. You could make the simple four patch with the scrappy look any size you need and still get the feel of the past. Good luck MelodyP

Melody, I have always been fascinated with the Civil War era. I will look into the pattern that you are referring to. It sounds interesting. Thank you for the suggestion!

Cathy

Not Ranked
Female
19 Posts
Points 325
Vicki replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 3:36 PM

Fons and Porter actually have a Civil War Journal block of the month quilt available.  It utilizes reproduction fabric and each month you receive fabric and instructions for a new block.  By year end, you will have one large quilt or four lap quilts whichever you prefer.  Don't know how soon you need to have your quilt finished; but, though you might want to take a look at this one.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,343 Posts
Points 255,554

Cathy we have a group which is free to join called Parsols and Fabric , it is a Civil War group . you should check us out ,we have lots of fun, and do lots of chatting ,Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

Vicki:

Fons and Porter actually have a Civil War Journal block of the month quilt available.  It utilizes reproduction fabric and each month you receive fabric and instructions for a new block.  By year end, you will have one large quilt or four lap quilts whichever you prefer.  Don't know how soon you need to have your quilt finished; but, though you might want to take a look at this one.

Hi Vicki! Thank you so much for the information! I will have to check it out!

Cathy

Not Ranked
Female
36 Posts
Points 525

Barbara:

Cathy we have a group which is free to join called Parsols and Fabric , it is a Civil War group . you should check us out ,we have lots of fun, and do lots of chatting ,Barbara

Thank you for the invitation, Barbara! I'll hop on over!

Cathy

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.