Top 10 Posters

New machine, new machine quilter, total addiction!

Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:54 AM

I know I'll probably end up with EQ from everything I hear. But I'm trying to be good this month.... My husband is laughing at me over my craziness with quilting.

He calls it my "object of obsession!" But he's really so supportive of whatever I'm interested in its wonderful. HE'S the one ht talked me into getting the new machine when I was just planning on getting my old one fixed! I take him to JoAnn's with me because he always tells me to get more than I was planning! He's not a believer in getting 1/2 yards or fat quarters. Thinks its too small to be useful. I just smile and agree. After all, I have to make up for all those fabrics I donated a year ago!

Susan

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:09 AM

I also suffer from addiction.......Yesterday in a meeting at work I was bored and resorted to doodling, which really means practicing my quilting designs with my pencil.....Of course others saw what I was doing.......and just thought I was crazy.....  

Great that your husbands supports your habit......Mine does too, which makes things easier (I dno't have to hide anything).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Hi Susan.  Your husband sounds like a keeper.  No 1/2 yds or fat quarters for you!  I usually buy 3 yards of something when I see it 'cause you never know what you might want to use it for.  :o) 

My Hubby bought me EQ7 for my birthday back in Jan. but I just got him to load it on the computer for me.  He is the techy in the family, not me.  I had planned to sit down with Kris at the retreat last week but Marlene and I never got around to it.  So I guess I just need to get out the book and see what I can figure out on my own.  The is a group for EQ7 here but i haven't joined it yet.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:21 AM

I've always been more comfortable with computers. I'll save the pencil and paper for my husband. He's the artist. I can't draw a straight line so I don't doodle.... I play on the computer. I think that's why free motion seems scary- its machine doodling!

My hubby is definitely a keeper. I've kept him around for almost 40 years. We're going to Disneyworld (I know... Laugh if you will but it's fun!) for our 40th in October. Wonder if I'll miss my sewing machine....

susan

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:51 AM

I did it. Just ordered Quilt Wizard from Amazon. I'm hoping it's the same version.... Looks & sounds like it. Had to order it with 1-day shipping. Hey! I did save money in the price, right? :-)

Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,758
Points 38,945
ls2116 replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:02 AM

i have design wizard and its great stepping stone to electric quilt 7 but i may add eq7 is on my wish list..  design wizard doesn't have applique and i've heard that eq7 does.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:05 AM

Awwwww... I have a couple of appliqué projects on my list. Oh well, by the time I get half way down my list I'll probably have EQ.

Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Susan, what is EQ? I too have a Hubby that is supportive in my quilting obsession, thank God!

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:22 AM

Susan

Welcome and enjoy the site.  Electric Quilt 7 is definitely worth the money.  Quilt Wizard is very basic and I think you will find that you outgrow it very quickly.  EQ 7 does pretty much anything that you could want to do in designing.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
I just skipped over to amazon to see, but I think I was in books. I wanted to get an idea of $. This EQ7 is a computer program, right?

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:33 AM

Melody

Yes EQ 7 is a computer program.  If you go to    www.electricquilt.com   You will be able to read about the product and get a general idea of what it does.   Then you can start searching for the best prices.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
hank you, thank you! I'm on my way there now!

MelodyP

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:40 AM

Melody, here's what i know....both Quilt Design Wizard & EQ (Electric Quilt) are made by same company but Wizard is the beginner's version costing MUCH less. I got Wizard on Amazon for $19.xx. EQ is about $190.

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:49 AM

Susan and Melody

Quilt Wizard is a much less expensive product.  It is very fundamental and is a good starting point if you aren't sure that you will like doing the quilt designing yourself.  I started with Quilt Wizard but soon found that it just didn't do what I wanted it to do.  If you feel confident that you will enjoy the designing then save your $20 toward the future purchase of Electric Quilt.  If you feel like you need to "get your feet wet" first then by all means Quilt Wizard is a good starting point.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 10:55 AM

Susan:

Sheri, did you find going from Quilt Wizard to EQ to be easy? I'm wondering if the learning curve is smooth.... Same 'feel' to the programs?

Susan

Susan,

Yes, it's similar but there are a lot more features in EQ7.  Quilt Wizard is a good way to familiarize yourself without spending a lot of money but I don't think it would be difficult to go straight to EQ7.  It comes with a good user manual.

Page 2 of 3 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use