Top 10 Posters

New machine, new machine quilter, total addiction!

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan Posted: Tue, Apr 24 2012 9:04 PM

I used to quilt in what surely must be ancient times. Took forever to make a quilt! Hand embroidered, machine pieced, hand quilted. Recently I saw a Cathedral Windows Rag quilt that renewed my interest. But my machine needed serious cleaning. Simple, right? Nope... Went into a Babylock store to get it cleaned and saw all the fantastic new machines! My daughter now has that machine and I've got a brand new addiction! 2 months old and I'm on my 4th quilt! Love all the new features! Self-threading! Embroiders! Even tells me when I've got the wrong foot in!

Wow! I feel like a dinosaur transported in time!

Now I'm trying to get a software program to design quilts, but can't figure out what I need. I thought I found a good one "Quiltsoft" and ordered it, but they came back and said they weren't shipping! Anyone have any suggestions?

Susan

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 9:28 PM

Welcome back to the wonderful world of quilting addicts! I must ask, what Babylock did you get? I have been drooling over the Ellisimo for the last 2 years. I will have it in my studio someday!

I think the best quilt design software out today is Electric Quilt 7. If that's too pricey for you, I have heard Quilt Design Wizard is good. (Also from Electric Quilt). If you go to www.Eleanorburns.com or www.quiltinaday.com they usually have these programs cheaper than other places.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 9:50 PM

Hi Joy

I have the Ellure. Not quite as fancy, but a lot less $! I highly recommend it! Does everything I've needed and more (at least so far). But now I drool over long arms quilters.

Electric Quilt seems to be the only program I hear about. Is it really that good? I'll check out the quilt design wizard. I'm sort of torn. Don't want to get a program that limits me but dont want to spend too much. I spend my money on fabric! And rulers, and templates, and thread, and..... Hmm, maybe I shouldn't focus on the cost.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 12:17 AM

Welcome Susan.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 1:01 AM

Thanks, Kris & Joy

I'm so excited to find such a great source of info as well as all these cool people that understand why I'm buying soooo much fabric.

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,396
Points 415,524
gini replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 3:10 AM

hi susan welcome to the wonderful world of quilt addiction.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 5:30 AM

Welcome Susan

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,517
Points 50,880
Ginny replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:27 AM

Susan,  I hear you.  I got a Babylock Symphony last fall, and I truly love it.  I haven't been quilting just lately though.  I bought a purse pattern that is giving me fits and stopping me from going forward.  You wouldn't think that such a little thing could confuse you, but------- it is. 

Happy quilting on your new baby.  Ginny

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:29 AM

I see I'm not the only insomniac out there! If only my machine was quieter I could make even better use of the time.

Susan

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:32 AM

It always seems to be the little, simple things that stump us. That's why my closet is filled with half finished projects.

Good luck with the purse! One of these days, you'll look at it and it will shout at you with the answer.

Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:48 AM

Joy:
I think the best quilt design software out today is Electric Quilt 7. If that's too pricey for you, I have heard Quilt Design Wizard is good. (Also from Electric Quilt). If you go to www.Eleanorburns.com or www.quiltinaday.com they usually have these programs cheaper than other places.

I started with Quilt Wizard and recently bought EQ7.  Check out sewingmachinesplus.com, too.  Their prices are also less than most places and I believe I got it shipped free.

Congratulations on your new machine!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:52 AM

Susan welcome to the club,  good to have you back in the world of quilting, Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:44 AM

Everyone is so helpful! Thanks for all the welcome suggestions and welcomes to the board.

Susan

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:45 AM

Hi Susan,

Welcome to QCA! I also use EQ7 and there are many of us here that use it. Kris is awesome with it!

Judylee

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 62
Points 1,090
Susan replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 8:46 AM

Sheri, did you find going from Quilt Wizard to EQ to be easy? I'm wondering if the learning curve is smooth.... Same 'feel' to the programs?

Susan

Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use