Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,574
Points 30,594
Kelley replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 5:07 PM

Im with Kris... I dont have alot of time for quilting so I dont prewash. And do happen to like the look of the quilt

when I dont prewash... It gives it the sort of wrinkly look like antique quilts...After its finished...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 381
Points 5,125
Annette replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 8:54 PM

I do pre-wash any yardage, including fat quarters.  Then when I iron I do spray starch.  I don't however, plan on pre-washing any pre-cut pkgs like strips or charm pkgs.  I draw the line there.

Annette

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Mon, Jul 12 2010 6:05 AM

I don't prewash and I havn't had a problem yet.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,014
Points 250,834
Barbara replied on Mon, Jul 12 2010 12:56 PM

I agree,with Nana,I love the feel of the fabric before it is washed ,and I think its much easier to work with. I wash after project is complete,but I don't put in the dryer .I hang them over shower rod and air dry ,or put them on line outside if weather permits. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Mon, Jul 12 2010 3:30 PM

I quit pre washing when I started using a lot of precut fabrics. I want the entire quilt to be either washed or not washed-I don't mix.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 60
Lorraine H replied on Fri, Jul 16 2010 11:31 PM

We did a quilt that the fabrics were  prewashed.  When I washed it, one of the colors ran into the muslin used for the background fabric.  I tried a couple of different things to try to get it out, but it didn't work.  Then I used carbona's color remover thinking that would take the runs out.  I tested it on the runs before I put it on the whole quilt.  Didn't seem to do anything, especially no damage.  I decided to use it in the washing machine.  Now instead of a pretty blue quilt, we have a pretty gold quilt.  The runs didn't come out and the fabric color that ran didn't change.  Get that!

Anyway, it is still a pretty quilt, just not what we expected it to turn out like :)  I am prewashing fabric for my next quilt as I type.

Lorraine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

that is sad that that happened to you Lorraine...but in 20 or so years I have never had any fabric run....also have you tried grammas secret spot remover?

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 960
Suzette replied on Mon, Jul 19 2010 5:45 PM

I personally wash after the quilt is completed.  One rule of thumb I go by is not to do both.  Either wash it all before or after.  Besides the "quilt police" will never know.

SUZETTE58

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use