This post has 59 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,412
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:03 PM

Jeanine:

Nan:

I might be interested. Depends how it goes at Smoky Mtn retreat in June, plus situation with my grand daughter Maddie and school. Also the cost and dates.

Nan

Cleveland, TN

But other than that, you're in.  LOL   Had to laugh because that's the way I feel.  I want to go but there are too many unknowns yet.

I know because the idea just came about yesterday morning. I'm thinking early fall when the leaves are starting to change color. The first choice of lodging was Linda's Quilting Retreat. I talked to her yesterday and she said she hasn't had enough business so she converted the condos to long term condos. But, she was going to talk  to one of the B&B's with cabins that was interested in buying her equipment. If the deal worked out, she would pass on my name. Meanwhile, I've emailed several other places and Monday I'm going to start calling some places. Like I said I was thinking early fall, but alot depends on availability too. I'll just find out what I can and put it out there. Once I find a place, I will need 1 or 2 people to help with organization of the retreat. I cannot do it all myself as I am disabled and right now my energy level is quite low. Anyone interested in helping, please contact me. Thank you!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 11:04 PM

I run a quilt retreat the third week of September each year so that usually gets in the way of getting to go on a retreat.  I do think that is the perfect time to hold a quilt retreat!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 340
Melody replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 12:34 AM

Hi Linda,

What is VB retreat?

Melody

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 1:16 AM

Melody:

Hi Linda,

What is VB retreat?

Melody

Hi Melody, VB  is the Virginia Beach Retreat -- see the "Babes on the Beach" thead.  that retreat ended Sat. a.m.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,412
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:24 PM

I have found a hotel about 15 minutes outside Berlin (the heart of Amish country). It's called Guggisberg Swiss Inn. They will have rooms available the end of August. They suggested a suite that sleeps 5 and  they can bring in tables for us. There is a kitchenette (frig, microwave, sink) and it has a jacuzzi. Ok, it isn't the beach, but it's pretty good. Individual rooms are $129.95 Mon-Thur with 4/room. We have better luck if we go during the week. The rates include breakfast and evening snacks. If we are there on a Friday, it includes entertainment. There are horses for riding. I need to make the reservation ASAP. So please let me know who is interested for sure. You can look them up on www.guggisbergswissinn.com. They are very excited to have us.

PS. I think there is a place to park the 24 ft. RV.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:43 PM

Do we have dates yet, Linda?

I would love to go, but since I'm a one-person payroll/hr dept, I have to plan carefully.  And I'm out for a week in October for a different retreat (if I can swing it, anyway.)

A three or four day weekend would work for me, if it could be T-F-S-S  and not M-Tues.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:45 PM

I would love to come or at least stop by.  It is not that far for me, but would love to meet like minds in person, maybe spend the day.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,412
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Wed, Apr 25 2012 2:54 PM

Susie:
three or four day weekend would work for me, if it could be T-F-S-S  and not M-Tues.

OK I'll see what kind of feedback I get from everyone. It is cheaper to go during the week. But if everyone wants a 4-day weekend, that's good too as long as I can book very soon.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:23 AM

They have the swiss/german restaurant  on the site and a great cheese place across the street. A bakery is up the hill from there, almost walking distance and 2 quilt shops within 2 miles. It is a great location. I have never seen the rooms though so I can' t help with that.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 818
Points 16,280
Sue replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:44 AM

Linda,

Thanks for looking this up and getting it together.  Unfortunately, this year I will be in Calif.  Since my Dad dies last August, there is another house he owned that needs to be sold, plans are for us (there are 4 kids) to sell it this August.  I'm the only one that is retired and "fancy free" so it is up to me to get the ball rolling on this. So sorry, I really wanted to be at this retreat.  I've been to the area you are talking about, not to far from the RV manufacturers where we have spent time getting ours repaired, and the area is beautiful.  Good luck getting this going, maybe next time for me.

Hugs anyway,

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

Just wondering...do they have a place to set up our machines for quilting or will that be done in the rooms? I would so love to come to this one as it's not far from where I live.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

I googled Ohio Amish County lodging and got this link: http://www.visitamishcountry.com/lodging.php which has a bunch of lodges/cabins we might want to look at. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

This place looks promising: Indian Bear Lodge

They have several lodges that will sleep between 8 (smallest lodge) and 35 (largest lodge).

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Thu, Apr 26 2012 10:38 AM

carey, these retreats are organized by the members. when someone wants to do a retreat close to home, they see how many are interested and if there are enough people that want to attend, the organizing begins.  you could organize a retreat if you wished.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

You might get more interaction moving this thread out of the "Introduce Yourself!" section of the forum and into the "Quiltmaking" section. You might also want to join the QCA Retreats group and post about it. Just a suggestion.

Page 2 of 4 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use