Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 32
Points 850
lynnb Posted: Wed, Apr 18 2012 1:39 PM

Do these have to washed or have they been prewashed?  I don't see anything on the package.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,560
Points 23,665
Susie replied on Wed, Apr 18 2012 1:51 PM

lynnb:

Do these have to washed or have they been prewashed?  I don't see anything on the package.

They are generally not pre-washed.  But you probably don't want to prewash them, just to avoid fraying.  Some will tell you to wash the quilt in cold water with the color catcher sheets, but I've never used them.  I just wash mine in cold with a couple regular bath towels and have never had a problem.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,690
Points 120,825

lynnb:

Lynn, I think the 2-1/2" strips would fray if you wash them.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,964
gini replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:10 AM

Richard, I'm sorry, but you are WRONG.   I bought 6 fabrics at a quality quilt store this month.  Three of those fabric bled terribly.  One of them I could not get to stop bleeding.    And they shrink,  I have never had a cotton NOT shrink.  And they have pesticides and fungicides and I don't know what all in the fabric to deter critters.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:19 AM

Richard

You are full of mud.   Fabrics today still shrink and bleed.  I personally don't prewash but this is a decision that each person has to make for themselves.  Strips aren't the easiest to prewash but it can be done.  If I was pre washing I would soak them in hot water and then rinse with cold.   Squeeze the water out and lay them to dry.   I CAN NOT stand for someone to tell people they CAN NOT do something.  That was a really bad chose of words for you to use.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:19 AM

Richard

You are full of mud.   Fabrics today still shrink and bleed.  I personally don't prewash but this is a decision that each person has to make for themselves.  Strips aren't the easiest to prewash but it can be done.  If I was pre washing I would soak them in hot water and then rinse with cold.   Squeeze the water out and lay them to dry.   I CAN NOT stand for someone to tell people they CAN NOT do something.  That was a really bad chose of words for you to use.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,846
Points 366,362
Kris replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 9:39 AM

I don't prewash by choice. There are no steadfast rules in this area. You could put strips in a bowl and gently swish them around with your hand.

Fabrics still bleed (and you're never sure which ones will) which is why Colour Catches are still available.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

gini:

Richard, I'm sorry, but you are WRONG.   I bought 6 fabrics at a quality quilt store this month.  Three of those fabric bled terribly.  One of them I could not get to stop bleeding.    And they shrink,  I have never had a cotton NOT shrink.  And they have pesticides and fungicides and I don't know what all in the fabric to deter critters.

I agree Gini and Nana.

Hand washing 2 1/2" strips and laying out to dry is the best way to end up with a 2 1/2" strip.  Maybe.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Apr 19 2012 11:23 PM

I just went back to see how much some fabric I bought from Maywood studios shrunk.  I bought it a few years ago, but from a good quilt store, and it looks and feels like good quality cotton.  I bought some, washed it, and then started to worry that I had not bought enough.  I did not wash that piece.  From selvage to selvage it shrunk 2 1/2 inches!

I recently bought some stonehenge fabric.  From selvage to selvage it shrunk 1/12 inches!  This is a Northcott fabric. 

So, yes they do still shrink. 

I have not had problems with colors bleeding, except for some hand died fabric that had a warning, but I was able to 'fix' that.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use