Top 10 Posters

Having trouble with pinwheel quilt pattern!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 3 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy posted on Sat, Apr 14 2012 2:31 PM

So recently I decided to make a pinwheel quilt with blue and white fabric. I love the block it is very pretty but my points in the middle don't match up well. I thought I cut them out alright but when I sew them together they don't match up. I was so upset about it I  almost gave up on it, mind you I''m not selling it or giving it away it will be mine for me only but still. I want it to at least look pretty on my bed I have watched videos and seen pictures but should I have bought a ruler to do this project? I have trouble with counting the measurements so I try and eye it best I can when cutting with is probably a huge mistake but I am still new to do doing more then just a 9 patch quilt.  Any advice you could share would great.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,478 Posts
Points 41,325
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 3:39 PM
Verified by Lindy

There are a couple of things I do to make the points match.  When I make the half square triangle blocks I usually oversize them.  If I want the block to be 4 inches when finished I add an inch rather than the 7/8ths.  Then I square up the piece to be the 4.5 unfinished that I want it to be.  I make sure to put the middle of the square where the white and blue come together on the diagonal of my ruler before I cut.  That way if I've made mistakes while sewing I can cut off the excess and still have a block that will fit with the others.

Next I sew two of the squares together to make a rectangle.  I make sure I press the seam toward the darker fabric.  I make another two square rectangle and be sure to press the seam toward the dark fabric.  Then I but the two seams together and pushing them together so there is no space between the seam lines.  They should be right on top of each other.  I pin both seams down and sew the two rectangles together.  I then open the center seam where the squares all meet to make less bulk where the seams come together. It will look like a mini pinwheel right in the center of the wrong side of your block.  I press one seam up and the other seam down. 

I hope this is clear.  If you need photos let me know.  I'm going to cut out a pinwheel baby quilt this evening and I could take step by step pictures.

• | Post Points: 70
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Answered (Verified) Patti replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 3:49 PM
Verified by Lindy

Sew from the points out.  There will be less stretch. (those tips tend to be very stretchy.)  Then to make them lie flat in the center when you are done, sew them in pairs first.   When sewing the pairs together, match up the fabric where the seam will be and push the selvages away from the seam and start sewing where that seam would meet against the fold, (back stitch at the start since you wont be sewing to the selvages at the points.)  Then sew the halves together. You will be able to press all the seams  the same direction, clockwise or counter clockwise.  After the sewing is done, when you press the seams, you will get a little star in the center, which will lie flat.  

This sounds very confusing.  When I have more time I will try and do a tutorial on this with photos.  I just recently did a bunch of these and can now get them right most of the time.

But the main thing, is, start the sewing from the point.  

Your pinwheels are going to look very nice.   Learning a couple tricks is all you need.   

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 25
Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Answered (Verified) Lindy replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 7:07 PM
Verified by Lindy

Very pretty thanks for all the great help.

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,478 Posts
Points 41,325
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 3:39 PM
Verified by Lindy

There are a couple of things I do to make the points match.  When I make the half square triangle blocks I usually oversize them.  If I want the block to be 4 inches when finished I add an inch rather than the 7/8ths.  Then I square up the piece to be the 4.5 unfinished that I want it to be.  I make sure to put the middle of the square where the white and blue come together on the diagonal of my ruler before I cut.  That way if I've made mistakes while sewing I can cut off the excess and still have a block that will fit with the others.

Next I sew two of the squares together to make a rectangle.  I make sure I press the seam toward the darker fabric.  I make another two square rectangle and be sure to press the seam toward the dark fabric.  Then I but the two seams together and pushing them together so there is no space between the seam lines.  They should be right on top of each other.  I pin both seams down and sew the two rectangles together.  I then open the center seam where the squares all meet to make less bulk where the seams come together. It will look like a mini pinwheel right in the center of the wrong side of your block.  I press one seam up and the other seam down. 

I hope this is clear.  If you need photos let me know.  I'm going to cut out a pinwheel baby quilt this evening and I could take step by step pictures.

• | Post Points: 70
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Answered (Verified) Patti replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 3:49 PM
Verified by Lindy

Sew from the points out.  There will be less stretch. (those tips tend to be very stretchy.)  Then to make them lie flat in the center when you are done, sew them in pairs first.   When sewing the pairs together, match up the fabric where the seam will be and push the selvages away from the seam and start sewing where that seam would meet against the fold, (back stitch at the start since you wont be sewing to the selvages at the points.)  Then sew the halves together. You will be able to press all the seams  the same direction, clockwise or counter clockwise.  After the sewing is done, when you press the seams, you will get a little star in the center, which will lie flat.  

This sounds very confusing.  When I have more time I will try and do a tutorial on this with photos.  I just recently did a bunch of these and can now get them right most of the time.

But the main thing, is, start the sewing from the point.  

Your pinwheels are going to look very nice.   Learning a couple tricks is all you need.   

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 5:17 PM

yes please if you could.....so I understand better what your talking about.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 5:25 PM

Mimi:
If you need photos let me know.

I couldn't have explained it better if I tried.That is exactly my method.

This project is hanging on the design board, just finished the top this week. It was a Lazy Mazy kit Marge P sent me. It was poorly cut and I didn't take the time to trim it down. I have two theories: The man on the galloping horse won't see the little bit some of the centers are off  AND The rest will quilt out.

Close up of one center.

The little pinwheel on the back that forms after picking out the stitches to where all seams meet.

Hope these photos help.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,478 Posts
Points 41,325
Mimi replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 5:36 PM

Agnes:
Hope these photos help.

Agnes, these are wonderful photos.  It's exactly what I was trying to say with words.  I just don't have the quilt cut yet but you beat me to it with the pictures.  Patti's pictures are great too.  Hope this helps answer your question, oklahomamom2.  I'll also try and do step by step by the end of the weekend.

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Answered (Verified) Lindy replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 7:07 PM
Verified by Lindy

Very pretty thanks for all the great help.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 9:22 AM

Patti--I use your method from the center out when i do diamonds, etc but the other way for HST. The trick, of course, in either method is to diffuse the bulk of all those seams.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
42 Posts
Points 695
Trisha replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 9:48 AM

Very good pictures and directions. I learned something today. I hated doing pinwills. I might try them again after this.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,115 Posts
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Sun, Apr 15 2012 10:39 AM

There are some great tips here for pinwheels.

Has anyone watched this video from Missouri Quilt? Pretty neat.  She didn't touch on the center swirl we all do and we'd have to watch that bias but I still found it  interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Apr 22 2012 11:00 PM

Fons and porter always have good ways of doing pinwheels and other techniques. I miss that mag only because of their tips and techniques section.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use