Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,540
lashawng23 Posted: Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:35 PM

I recently went to the local Walmart in my area and they are in the process of remodeling the store.  My intent was to go pick up 2 trash cans and that's it.  Well as I am heading to checkout I see the big red clearance sign above tons and tons of fabric.  I go over and to my surprise they are selling bolts from $5 to $10.  I spent 3 hours and left with so much fabric.  Most of the stuff I purchased had over 5 yards on the bolt and the average price was around $8.  Is this a normal thing for someone to do, just buy fabric and figure out what to do with it later? 

Northern VA

"Fabricologist Resource Center" ...now doesn't that sound more impressive than "fabric stash" ?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:37 PM

Sounds normal to me!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:42 PM

That definately sounds normal to me, otherwise 2 months later you are making the quilt and think the perfect fabric for this would be what i didnt pick up when i saw it.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,540

Glad to know I am normal LOL.  Thanks!!!

Northern VA

"Fabricologist Resource Center" ...now doesn't that sound more impressive than "fabric stash" ?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,900
Cindi replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 12:50 PM

Absolutely!  I have 2 closets full of fabrics I've bought with no specific purpose in mind besides I like to look at it!!  :D

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 155
Tammy replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 1:15 PM

You Win!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 555

I think the most creative people buy what they love and then figure out what to do with it.  I've been known to buy UGLY fabric and used them in a kalidiscope (can't spell) and it was lovely.  What a deal. WalMart in Canada no longer sells fabric. So sad.

Sheila

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 1:45 PM

Great find.  My Walmart still sells fabric but I haven't seen a sale like that one.  Maybe they're phasing out their fabric dept.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 2:04 PM

Our Walamrt did that when they remodeled, too. After the sale, all the fabric and craft depts. were no longer in the store.  There was enough customer outcry, that after awhile, they have started carrying fabric in our store again.

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,540

I was told the fabric area won't be as big.  I think I will head over there after work and see what else I can find.  I didn't say I was doing this at 7am in the morning on a saturday LOL

Northern VA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,575
Jacy replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 2:46 PM

lashawng23:
Is this a normal thing for someone to do, just buy fabric and figure out what to do with it later? 

I think that's the smart way to do it, buying it on sale. 

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 255

Oh boy I thought I was the only crazy one.  Your comment really made me chuckle, because I do this all the time.  I'm like a kid in the candy shop when I go to the fabric store.  So yes I would say this is fairly normal since there is one other person out there who does this, ME!!  :)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Absolutely, totally normal. It's called bargin hunting and stash building.  Go for it!

Max

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,771
Points 65,953
Jeanine replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 3:50 PM

Sounds normal to me.  If I find fabric around $1 for cotton I buy it all...every time. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,540

I went for it and I am going back for more :-)

Northern VA

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use