Page 3 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Thu, May 3 2012 5:32 PM

IMHO the stash is there for two reasons also why you buy more same reasons below apply.

1) Your new quilt idea might not match what you have in stash.

2) Stash is backup for hard times and can be used if you know what parts of it are going to which blocks. Sometimes new fabric just matches the idea better see above lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Thu, May 3 2012 5:35 PM

Thought same way with my oldstash chances are not that long really. I had a huge pile and now only after two years it is almost bare even with fq backups and a few occasional 1/2 yrds and yards sill so bare.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 9,105
Pat A replied on Thu, May 3 2012 5:57 PM

Boy do I belong with this group.  My stash is growing, already fills a huge closet and several see-thru tubs.  Stacks of fabrics on the sewing table  and cutting table (I can no longer use my sewing room.  I sew on my dining room table).  Lots of batiks which I can't bear to cut into plus a huge collection of christmas fabrics some of which is so beautiful I can't bear to cut into.  I sorted out backing fabrics and neutrals last week and filled up all 5 drawers.  Coulnd't believe how much I had.  I am trying to use more of my stash but every now and then I get the craving to go fabric shopping whether I need anything or not.  I just need to go and drool over all of the fabric and of course, I usually find something I have to have.  Am I addicted? LOL

Pat A. in KY

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

I don't drink (much) I don't smoke, I don't spend a lot of money on clothes or home decor so therefore I can buy fabric.  anyone have a problem with that rationalization? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,196
Points 16,015
Susan replied on Thu, May 3 2012 7:18 PM

Vivian, You sound like me! Dont drink much, dont smoke, dont spend a lot on clothes, but oh, how I love to buy fabric. Its my only vice.  Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Thu, May 3 2012 9:17 PM

Vivian,

You have said a mouthful there! That justifies it for me too. I don't drink, smoke, or spend money on lots of clothes/jewelry. Fabric and quilting things are my vice too, if that's really vice. LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Fri, May 4 2012 6:45 AM

I sent an order of quilters candy from connecting threads to my daughter last month.  Then followed up on Facebook to see if she got her "stash builder" package.  She did and loved it.  Then asked, " What is stash.". Really?  How can I raise a quilter daughter and she miss this?  I explained it to her... I don't have a lot of traditions I have passed down to my kids but this will be one of them.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Fri, May 4 2012 12:01 PM

My husband has a milloin tool boxes and dosn't fix anything anymore, I can buy fabric. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Fri, May 4 2012 12:06 PM

sam and i adhere to the "don't ask, don't tell" method.  i don't inquire about his, golf clubs, skis, rods, etc.; and he doesn't ask about my vices.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Sat, May 5 2012 3:19 PM

I'm with Gini.  I once told DH that when my quilting habit got to the same amount as his hunting, fishing equip., boats, street rods, etc, I'd stop.....I'm not even close...lol  Now he has added gold panning equip. so I'm still safe for a while.

Diana in East Tn.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 355

New here... I sorted  and roughly organized, my fabric  stash a few months ago and was amazed to find that I NOW have enough retro/vintage fabric to make a really cool quilt. It wasn't retro/vintage when I bought it though......  I just knew that some of it would come back "in style" again.  What goes around, comes around..

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Sun, May 13 2012 7:52 PM

I like everyones philosophy.  I have some fabric that's over 10 yrs old. I know that quilt is in the works somewhere in my brain and one day I'll find it and it'll come out. 

I have 6 ft high shelves with folded fabrics on both sides and sitting on top of them. I have a filing cabinet full of fabric and then I have shelves DH made that equal 14 ft long and three shelves high, almost to the ceiling, with bolts of fabric (not all bolts full) but the shelves are full. If there is room on top of the bolts, I have fabric there too.  We won't even begin to count the bins, boxes, cabinet and fat quarters.  All that doesn't begin to cover the tractors, tools, trailers, boats  vehicles, lawn mowers, etc. DH has.  He has never said a word about my fabric or machines.  LOL

ScrappySusan,

Welcome to the group!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Sun, May 13 2012 8:36 PM

Pictures!  Please post some pictures in this thread of the stash fabric or group of fabrics that are so special you don't want to cut them. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Sun, May 13 2012 9:21 PM

Quiltless,

Here are a couple of pictures of my stash. Keep in mind this was taken in the Fall of 2008. It has certainly grown since then. I can't find my most recent picture. I am in Florida right now and it'll be a few weeks before I'm back where my machine and stash are so can't provide a current picture or one of my favorite fabrics. I hope others post pictures too.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Sun, May 13 2012 9:34 PM

There you go!  Thanks Ramona.  I really enjoy seeing other people's sewing areas, stash and favorite fabrics.  Enjoy your Florida trip. 

Page 3 of 4 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use