Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 1,365
Cindy Posted: Wed, Apr 4 2012 3:48 PM

I think I must have Stash OCD when it comes to using my stash.  When I come up with a new quilt idea, rather than use my stash I go out and buy fabric for that quilt.  While all along I am buying new fabrics for my stash.  Am I alone in this problem of using my fabrics.  I just love to go in the sewing room and play with my stash, I know this sounds weird, but it is so calming to me.

Crazy in NC

Cindy

• | Post Points: 185
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 3:54 PM

Cindy, I know exactly what you mean. I also buy new fabric for a new project. I think it is because I can't bear to cut into my older fabric. It's like having an old friend around that you are very comfortable with. So, call me crazy, sew be it. L(OL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 3:56 PM

Cindy

I think we all love to play with our stash...LOL>   I do still go and buy fabrics for a particular quilt but I also try to use some from my stash as well.   Have fun playing

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 4:26 PM

Cindy,

You are certainly not alone on this one. I do the same thing. That stash just never seems to have just the right fabric to work in the quilt.  We'll take any excuse to go buy more fabric! LOL I look at my stash and just can't bring myself to cut some of it up. If I do manage to use a piece in a project, I am so pleased with myself to actually shopped in my stash.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 5:46 PM

Cindy, this is not a foreign concept to most quilters! LOL  We just have to have that special fabric for our stash & have to save it for just the right project (which never comes along so we can keep admiring that special fabric).  No, you could not "admit" that freely on QCA unless you knew we'd agree with you :-)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

I have to say, I tend to go out and buy new fabric also.  I often go in and gaze lovingly at my stash, especially now that I have it on fabric organizers and it looks like a little quilt shop with little bolts on the shelf...gotta love the rainbow of batiks all in a row on the shelf...how could you cut into that, I ask you?  :-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 6:10 PM

I love going through my stash but I don't have a problem using it.  As long as it is the right fabric for the project.  Every once in a while I poke my head out of my quiler's haze and get a glance of reality and realize having this much stash is not reasonable but that doesn't last long.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 11:59 PM

I have the same problem, I like having my stash to play with and will go buy fabric for a project , but if the right project comes along and I know I have the fabric I will use it .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 12:08 AM

Cindy I definitely understand what you saying! Until last year, I bought for my stash and I bought for my projects! Only rarely did I use fabric from my stash to make a quilt. But last year when fabric prices went up I decided it was time to start using my stash and quit buying so much. I did great! Finished about 8 projects and only bought backing for 3! This year I've been doing a lot of free BOM's out of my stash...but now its dwindling down so low that I can't do much more!

Enjoy every minute with your stash! I'm having anxiety attacks because I don't have enough! LOL!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 4:31 AM

And they say we Civil War re-enactors are a bit off our rockers!! Well, I'm here to tell you I'm a fabriholic and proud of it!! Yes, I hoard my stash. I don't want to give up a piece for a project that it would fit into perfectly because it just might fit into another project even better! Besides I love that piece of fabric...how  can I possibly part with it??? Have I used fabric out of my stash? Yes, and as that quilt went out my door, I stood there waving goodbye and crying "I'll never forget  you!" I even have photos so I'll never forget!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 1,365
Cindy replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 6:20 AM

Nice to know I am normal, my husband says I am going to have to live to be  200 to use all the fabric in my stash. LOL.  You should see his collection of tools and whatevers in his shed.,

When you guys see fabrics you just have to have how much do you buy?  My mother told me when I was little if I say fabric I loved to buy at least 3.5 yds to 4, of course she sewed garments.  When she passed and I cleaned out her house I found fabric she had bought when I was a little girl, it sadly  dry rotten or I would have kept it. 

Cindy in NC

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 8:53 AM

I find comfort in my stash as well.  I tell my family, if I ever develop Alzheimer's, just put me in my sewing room and I will be content for hours just looking at my stash. 

I have collected far too many fabrics I fell in love with that I am reluctant to cut, specially the big prints.  They are all waiting for that perfect project.   I had some of them out yesterday, which reminds me, I need to go cover them to protect them from fading.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 10:59 AM

Cindy

When I buy fabrics for my stash I almost always buy 3 yds.   That is generally enough for any project that I decide to use it for.  If it is fabric for landscapes, applique, etc .  I will buy a fq, or 1/2 yd cut or sometimes a whole yd if I really love it.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

I have quite a bit of fabric. However, I went to my LQS today and when I got home, I found I had bought another pattern.  I think I'm a pattern junkie.  I have 3 lateral file cabinets full of patterns.  In my defense though, there are a lot of sewing patterns also. Not just quilting patterns.  I have not been quilting long enough to design my own patterns but I have enough patterns already that I don't think I have to worry about it for awhile.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,670
Points 37,665
ls2116 replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:41 PM

i like keeping my stash too.  i have one fabric it looks like stain glass i'm dying to use it but since i haven't been able to find more i don't cut into it.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use