Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. Posted: Tue, Apr 3 2012 4:54 PM

Is there any interest in a Hand Piecing Group?  I will beginning a hand pieced project soon as a form of relaxation (and boy do I need it!).  If there isn't a group, I would be glad to head one up.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,954
Points 368,352
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 6:21 PM

Could we just start a thread in the hand quilting group? There's not much activity there.

I do a lot of hand piecing but won't have time to start a new project any time soon.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 7:05 PM

Kris--

I wasn't thinking of a group project.  Just a place to exchange ideas, etc.  I know of at least 2 different ways to hand piece and I thought that a tutorial might be helpful.  If someone didn't know how to hand piece, I'm not sure they would look under "Hand Quilting" since you don't have to hand quilt in order to hand piece.  If there isn't interest in a new group, I will take your suggestion and post in the "Hand Quilting Group".  Thanks for the input. (Cute cat, by the way.)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,954
Points 368,352
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:01 PM

Thanks Pat and you're welcome.

Pat M.:
If someone didn't know how to hand piece, I'm not sure they would look under "Hand Quilting" since you don't have to hand quilt in order to hand piece. 

I see what you mean here. I think it would be great if you could get some more people interested in hand piecing. So many are intimidated by hand work it would be nice to alleviate the fears with some tutorials. Maybe you could turn it into a hand piecing/hand quilting group.

Just a suggestion. I'll support you no matter how you do it. Let me know if I can help.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:17 PM

I would be interested in a hand piecing group--not because I need help as a rule but as a group for discussion and sharing. After I no longer could hand quilt I was really lost without hand work other than embroidery. I tried hand piecing and I have been hooked for three years. It's not that I have disowned the machine but hand piecing fills the void in the evenings.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:29 PM

I don't do pies, but now that you're hand piecing, I'm with you!  Mind you, I know how to hand piece, first thing I learned many years ago, but also that the last quilt I hand pieced took me 15 years to finish - it's now waiting it's turn to be hand quilted.  The one that's on the frame now, I've been working on for months, I can't believe Nana finished that one of hers in six weeks! 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:46 PM

Question for everyone---

Separate group or part of Hand Quilting?  Which would be easier for you to follow?  I am the "fearless leder" of the Hand Quilting Group so it doesn't matter to me.  Just trying to see what would be better.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:51 PM

Kris--Your input would be great in this effort.  Thanks.

Agnes--I know what you mean about hand piecing being there when not using the machine.  I have gotten away from hand work and need to get back to it.

Carol--Love your quilt--just be sure not to eat pie while working on it!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:56 PM

Pat M.:
Separate group or part of Hand Quilting? 

I am inclined to think that separate group might be better because "hand" is really the biggest thing in common. It is so easy to get off topic and if we end up discussing piecing and quilting in the same discussion we could really throw off a beginner. As for myself, it really doesn't matter. I never was a good hand quilter and it is now totally ruled out of my life. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:31 PM

Pat

I think it would be a great idea to get some interest in Hand piecing.   I think that possibly it would be best if we change the hand quilting group to Hand Piecing / Hand Quilting group due to the fact that I am not sure that either of these individual practices gets lots of interest.  By combining them into one area anyone that is interested in doing hand work will be able to find them.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:35 PM

Pat

I changed the name on the Hand Quilting group to encompass both Hand Piecing and Hand Quilting.  You should be able to go in and create discussions and threads and projects to your hearts content.  Please have fun and enjoy.  If there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,954
Points 368,352
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 3 2012 11:26 PM

Pat,

There is a great blog on hand piecing that has lots of tips. You could put a link to that in the group along with your own tutorials.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 180
jmgvili replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 8:49 AM

Jinny Beyer has hand piecing tips on her site here:   http://tinyurl.com/d9om3qp

Linda Franz also has hand piecing tips on her site.  judy

Judy Gvili ----Wayland, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

I love to do hand piecing and am currently working on 2 civil war hand piecing and hand quilting projects.  I am interested in this group.

Margaret

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, Apr 4 2012 7:49 PM

Margaret--

Glad to hear from you.  The Hand Quilting Group has been renamed "Hand Piecing &/or Hand Quilting", so that's where we will put further posts.  Looking forward to your input.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use