Managing fabric scraps

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
quilting diva Posted: Sat, Mar 31 2012 6:00 PM

Hi, I am a newbie here.  I have been quilting for a few years now, so as most of you know, we can be overrun with scraps.  Some of them are too big to throw away so I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how to decide which to keep and throw away.  Also how to organize them,( if it is at all possible to even do it!)  It will be nice to hear from you.  Thanks, Quilting Diva

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 6:06 PM

Diva

I have beens that I put my scraps in.  I try to cut my scraps down as I am cutting my quilt pieces. I cut into 2 1/2 sq, 4 1/2 sq, 61/2 sq and then also 2 1/2 x 41/2 and 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 in rectangles and have a different bin for each size.  I also keep some that I don't want to mess with cutting to use in applique projects and those are all in a basket.   Now I just need to actually make something with them....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 495
3DaneDogs replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 6:24 PM

I've got bins too.  I found a stand up thing that was supposed to be used for screws, nails etc. and has different sized bins on four different levels.  I've been using Bonnie Hunter's ideas for scraps and cutting the smaller ones down to her size suggestions.  I DO have a bunch that are too big to cut but too small to call a 'fat quarter.'  It's all a work in progress, but I've already used some of my scraps when I've needed squares, rectangles, etc.  I just have way more scraps than I have time to cut them!  I've also recently purchased a cabinet with four shelves that I'm using to organize my fat quarters by color family.  If my scrap is big enough to be called a fat quarter, it gets folded and put in there.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I cut mine down too.  I use plastic shoe boxes to store them.  Then - those of you who know me - the pieces that I don't want to keep get chopped up and put into pet pillows for animal shelters (along with cut up scraps of batting). 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 495
3DaneDogs replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 6:33 PM

I never thought of pet pillows!  what a great idea!  What size do you make them, and what do you use for your outside?  I'd love to donate to my local shelter.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

3Dane - The pillows come out various sizes depending on what size the fabric I use makes them.  :o)  I use leftover pieces of fleece, upholstery fabric, usually pieces of sturdier fabrics 0 often combining fabrics to make a big enough pillow. I haunt the remnants bin at JoAnn's for suitable fabrics every time I am in there plus I have been given some.  I think the smallest pillow is probably 18" x 20" or 24". Any size that a dog ro cat can curl up on is appreciated by the shelters.  I usually don't have big ones because the leftover fabrics don't allow for it.  Besides - you run the risk of the bigger dogs being rougher on the pillows. If they get a hole in them, you can just imagine the mess with all those small pieces of fabric.  Just ask Joni since her dogs did a number on the pillows I gave her.  :o)  She is probably still finding pieces of fabric

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 495
3DaneDogs replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 7:04 PM

OK, you've inspired me :)  I know all about what a mess big dogs can make - -believe me!  I have lots of 'scraps' left over from my Dane coats-- I use the cheap blankets from Walmart and can make two Dane coats out of one queen size blanket.  But I still have scraps where I've cut the coat out--that'd make great pet pillows!  So now I have another project and more reasons to save 'stuff'.  I just hated throwing away left over batting and such.  Thanks for the idea!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,024
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 7:22 PM

Hi Quilting Diva,

Welcome!  Bonnie Hunter is the queen of scraps. You should go to her website at quiltville.com  or google her name.  She has a whole system worked out to makeit easier for us newbies. LOL!

Judylee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 7:38 PM

I cut down scraps into various size strips, squares and rectangles.  "strings" I save for string quilts and all else I keep to fill dog beds.  I don't think I will ever get complete control but it is nice to have a large supply of...say 2 1/2" squares already cut when a scrappy mystery quilt comes along.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,091
Points 29,520
Ramona replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 7:42 PM

I used to put all my scraps in a bag and donate them to those who do artistic quilts such as landscapes and those who do minitures. I do keep big enough pieces and put them in my fat quarter stash and use them for machine applique. When I have triangles left over I pair them up and sew them together and press. I have a few containers of those. Some day they will be a scrappy quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,091
Points 29,520
Ramona replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 7:44 PM

Quilting diva,

Sorry, forgot to welcome you to the group. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 8:37 PM

Okay, those of you who are so good about cutting scraps into specific sizes and storing them in bins, drawers, shoeboxes and the like - do you store all like sizes together or all like colors together or what?  I would be willing to go through my current scrap collection and cut them to size, but I can't imagine coming up with enough containers to store them in an organized method.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 8:45 PM

Nancy

I store like SIZES together.  There is no way I could do colors.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 495
3DaneDogs replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 8:50 PM

I do sizes also.  I use Bonnie Hunter's size suggestions with a few of my own.  I have a couple of bins of 'chunks' -- pieces too big to cut up but too small to qualify for anything else--those I divide into light and dark.  These are pieces that would give me, say, 4 1/2 inch squares.  Of course, I also have about 3 totes that aren't cut into anything that I'm still working on :).  I also have one big of holiday prints.

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 495
3DaneDogs replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 8:52 PM

Not 'big' but 'bin'!  One bin of holiday prints.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use