Top 10 Posters

Ready For Christmas- How many quilts did you make for Christmas presents or quilty things

Page 12 of 16 (230 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 229 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,332
Points 249,827
Thea replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 7:01 PM

Trudy:

Here is my skirt.  It's not really a skirt because I was using this one as my "tester" to see how they will turn out.  As I looked at it, I thought it might be a nice table-topper, decorative throw for the back of the couch, lap quilt or even still, a tree skirt but they would have to set the tree stand right on top of it.  So, I am having a hard time deciding which way to make them.  I bought more of the fabric yesterday and they only charged me $2 instead of the $3 from the day before...so now I have lots of it.  What do you ladies think?  Tree skirt or multi-purpose decorative thingy?  I covered up with it to see how much of me it would cover and it was about chest to toe and I am 5'6"...it took 3 yards of backing because of the shape...now I am going to have to go fabric hunting in my garage to see what I can use to back these buggers.  It is not bound yet...I brought it to work to see if I could get some votes on which way to make them.

Trudy - ithink it would be a beautiful tree skirt and easily made into on - just a cut to the center and bind - just make a circle in the center for the tree - bias bind and you are done...

It would also make a very nice table cloth for a special table.  I tree skirts that I don't cut and use them on my round table that I show off my decorations on for the seasons... I make different ones for the different seasons... right now the table has my cat ornaments and my jim shore angel - a snowman and the angel I got at the party yesterday... sets right next to my tv so I can look over at my things and smile...lol  in the spring I have my jim shore cat collection on there... then in the fall I bring forward my halloween cats...

I like yours a lot but I could be very prejudiced as blue is my favorite color...lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665

Hear Hear...Ditto what Edith said...I think Althea said it that she has to be accountable to something or someone...well thats me and I think know I can't post pics is behind my lack of motivation....[hey sounds good-not] but seriously if it weren't for this yr i wouldn't have gotton half the projects completed that i have.....so huge thanks to all my quilty buds.

Oh by the way i just got done going through the Show & Tell...there is some awesome projects there, very very nice work, aplaud all of you.

Ok I ran errands most of the day so I better get something done at that sewing machine tonight as I leave for las vegas to be w/ my honey for the weekend tomorrow-everyone have a great weekend...!!!!!!!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,424
Points 389,812
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 9:02 PM

Edith, I like your pot holder. The fabrics are really pretty.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:07 PM

I am really bummed.  This summer when I wanted to quilt a table runner, I had problems with my machine just making a bunch of loose threads under the fabric.  And getting caught.  Well, I took it in to be fixed, and it has worked great, but until now I have not tried to do free motion quilting.  Well, same problem.  I took it in, and they thought I had the quilting foot positioned wrong when I threaded it so the tension was off.  I could use it at the shop today as my machine had been in the car all day and was too cold.  So they showed me how to position the foot and thead it, and I took it home.  Well it is doing the same thing.  I can sew straight but not free motion quilt.  And I have 3 kids' quilt to finish before Christmas.  bummer, bummer, bummer.

I will take it in again tomorrow, after work, but his time I will have the sewing machine inside so it doesn't get too cold.  I hope the problem is fixable in time to finish the quilts for Christmas.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 10:10 PM

Patti

When I have had that problem the top thread tension was too loose.  Have you tried tightening the tension?

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 590

Thanks, Trudy, for your suggestions about diabetes. I have not tried rasberries and chromium picolinate, but I am taking Vivix which is very high in resveritrol and have recently ordered, but not received, a product with chromium, magnesium, and other ingredients. I am hoping it will help. I eat lots of fruit, including raspberries. I also have physical therapy twice weekly with a personal trainer who works on total body strength.

I have only one adrenal gland and believe not having two and also having a great deal of stress in my life are major issues with my blood sugar control.

I am happy to know I am not the only one who wraps unfinished projects. :~)

Susie from Indy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 590

Ditto, Judy.

I know it would take me at least 7 hours to do the third trip. LOL

Susie from Indy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 590

Edith, I love the pot holder: the fabrics you chose are nice, as well, so Christmassy. It looks like a great deal of dKQetail work. Did you do all on the machine, or did you do some of it by hand?

Potholders are something I fall back on to try out a small pattern I want to try before doing more.

BTW, many of you use letters in your posts that I am not familiar with. Is there a list of these somewhere? Of course, I did decide that KQ stands for Keepsake Quilting Catalog. Can someone explain some of the others?

Is a quillow a quilted pillow?

Susie from Indy

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,424
Points 389,812
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:52 PM

Susie,

here's a link for the acronyms.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,424
Points 389,812
Kris replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:53 PM

Patti,

I hope you get your machine sorted out soon.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 11:59 PM

Susie from Indy:
Is a quillow a quilted pillow?

Susie, a quillow is a quilt that has a pocket near the top. You fold it up and tuck everything into the pocket and it then you have a pillow. Here's a link that may be helpful:

Quillow

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,872
Points 420,184
gini replied on Fri, Dec 11 2009 1:25 AM

patti,  my machine does that if the needle is dull, and sometimes new needles are dull.  and another thing that causes it is fuzz in the bobbin area.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665

Wynnie your projects are all very pretty...am I on your gift list...lol I was hoping to do some pot holders this yr but just not gonna happen. I thought pot holders would be a neat way for me to practice techniques.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,312
Points 22,003
Edith replied on Fri, Dec 11 2009 7:58 AM

Hey Suzie

It really works up quite fast . Just 5 inch squares  folded.  Placed on a 12 inch grid of muslin which is folded to mark a grid. I used a glue baste while placing squares around and around and that way it is easier than basting each layer.

You coud do one in a couple of hours. More you do . Faster you get.

It was just some Christmas Fabric I purchased.

It is fun to make.

Page 12 of 16 (230 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.