Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 485
Andy Meyer Posted: Sat, Dec 5 2009 2:26 PM

Well, here to learn about your needs and aspects of quilting. My Brothers company, Blueshift software, has just started developing iPhone apps for the quilting community. I am here to look around and learn what we can be doing to better serve this awesome community which has already been so kind and full of awesome feedback. 

From my bio:

Hey all,

I help run my brothers company blueshift software. We design and code iPhone apps. We recently got into the quilting app market with our apps fabricstash and fabricjournal . These apps were inspired by my girlfriend and his wife who are Iphone and quilting addicts.

Other than that I just moved to Madison, WI and it is so cold right now. I never thought I would miss Missouri Winters,lol. Either way my sister in law just amde me a warm soft quilt, so I will be alright.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,560
Points 246,112
Thea replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 2:39 PM

Welcome to QCA Andy - I wish I knew what apps was... but am lost - maybe you can explain. 

I hope you stay warm under your quilt and have a great day!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to the QCA forums, Andy. I, too, tried your link in your other message, but I get an error message that the search engine can't find the site. I'd love to help with app suggestions for the iPhone - I so want an iPhone - but they don't work in the part of the country in which I live. We do not have ATT cell service. We probably will in a couple of years when Verizon and ATT get everything settled, but not now. I do have iTouch, but you didn't say if your apps work on those, too.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,953
Points 368,332
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:06 PM

Hey Andy,

nice to meet you. Thanks for thinking of us. I found your apps on iTunes. How cool.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,953
Points 368,332
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:07 PM

Thea, apps (applications) are programs for the iPhone.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 485

Hey Judy-

Our apps do work on the itouch. The only small advantage the iphone has with our apps is the ability to take photos with the camera instead of putting them on the touch.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 173
Points 3,945

Andy Meyer:
I just moved to Madison, WI and it is so cold right now.

Hi Andy! 

Welcome to the forums.  I'm sure you will learn some essential aspects of quilting and hopefully you can use them for the iphone. 

I have a  cousin who recently opened up a new chiropractic clinic in Madison!  What a small world. 

Keep warm and welcome!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:29 PM

Hi Andy and welcome to the site.  I do not have an iphone and doubt that it is my future but I think it is great that you are offering apps for quilters.  Hopefully you will find lots of good ideas here. Glad you have a nice warm quilt for the cold winters in WI.  No way I could live there....entirely too cold.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,869
gini replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 6:10 PM

hey andy,   we have a friend who develops "killer apps" for the iphone.  so are you developing a   killer app for quilting?    what all can it do, and what would compel me to get it.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:22 PM

Welcome to QCA Andy

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 485

Thanks so much everyone. It feels good to be received so warmly and to find a place just teeming with information and awesome personal stories and great projects.  

To answer the question of what apps we are doing and such, we already produced two apps. Fabric Stash is there to help you keep track of your growing fabric collection an fabric journal to keep track of all your quilting projects. There are links below for more specifics and such.

fabricstash and fabricjournal

As for Madison it just got so cold and already snowed this week and we are getting another 4-5in tonight! yikes. I moved up here to be with my girlfriend and although its cold up here she is worth it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,819
Points 43,839
Eileen replied on Sun, Dec 6 2009 12:49 PM

Andy,

Welcome! These apps look really cool & I'm glad to see some feedback already on the links. I have a basic cell phone "for emergencies" but have been considering an iTouch and apps like this make me want it more. 

Someone commented on the fabric stash app looking like it's geared toward quilters and while we all would like that, the person has a point - some people sew & thus have fabric but don't make quilts. So, maybe it would be helpful to have some apps geared toward people who have fabric (sewers, quilters, clothing designers...) and have other apps geared toward people's specific interests - one for quilters, one for home dec sewers, one for people who sew clothes...  Not having an iPhone or iTouch yet, I'm not familiar enough with everything they do to be able to say more about what I'd want in an app, but I'll try...

Team up with someone like the writers/publishers of Quilter's Travel Companion to allow quilters on the go to find a quilt shop while they are travelling (don't have to do a search online & hope for accurate results).

There is a quilter's calculator (I think it's called Quilter's Calc) on the market which allows users to determine how much fabric they need to make a quilt, whether it's for the top or the back, etc.  So perhaps an app for that would be good - don't have to have the quilter's calc - just pull out your iPhone/iTouch.

The fabric stash app sounds great, and I agree with some of the comments already made on the site - can it include "inventory" of other items - needles, thread, bobbins, trim, batting...all the other items we use when we sew or quilt? Quilting isn't just about the fabric and people who have more than what they need for a few projects can't always remember if they have the right color thread at home, for example.

Does Apple already have an app or something like Word or Notepad for making notes? Even if it does, maybe a "wishlist" app - i.e. to keep track of desired books, patterns, fabric - would be nice.

You've come to the right place to get ideas of what quilters like and I'm sure some people here will come up with other/better ideas - maybe someone who already has an iPhone or iTouch will be able to better articulate what would work based on other apps. For now, I hope this is what you're looking for. Thanks for joining us and asking for input!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 12,665

Hi Andy and Welcome...I got excited just going over the fabricstash appl. I am not a techie type person at all but I would be willing to learn how to use this. I do have at&t and have been needing a new phone but have just been putting it off-afterall it still rings and I can still answer but all the other features are slowly dieing out. Your program could just be what i need to push me. I need to go back and really dig into it.

Wishing you much success.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 19
Points 485

Hey Eileen-
First thanks for the awesome and detailed response. We have been working on ways to reach other types of designers/artists/fabric people.
Also, we do have built in features already for tracking Wishlist fabrics and they can be viewed by themselves or in a project (with or without fabrics you have already)  and that once you get them a couple taps will move them from being "Wishlist" to your stash.
We plan on including a lot of your suggestions in a update coming soon, such as the ability to track all the little things quilters need!
Once again I want to thank everyone who has replied with suggestions, comments and warm welcomes.
one last thing for all those considering the iPhone... you will love it if you try it. 
THANKS

-Andy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 33,860

Hi Andy and welcome to QCA!

I heard about your apps months ago and checked them out online. COOL! Like so many though I can't do AT&T what with their poor coverage (no signals where we're about to be building a house for one thing), so even though I thrive on techie stuff no iPhone for me.Really, honestly one day last week I was figuring out yardages for a quilt and looked at my phone and wished your app was right there in my hand. So it's no surprise that the day the Droid launched I got off a plane from a busienss meetignand headed straight to my local Verizon store.

Having been on GEnie before there was an Internet as we know  it, and having dragged the vision of QNNtv through a very difficult first few years (I'm sure we were ahead of our time... found the right home here!) I have some insight into the average quilter and their use of technology. While there are some very tech savvy quilters most aren't at all. What we found is that their first reason for going online was to e-mail kids and grandkids. Now many go as far as webcams and shopping. And like my Mom, once they learn how great a tool the internet is for research you can't get them away from their computers.

But the difference I think still is that the computer isn't a part of the their lives. And that's the resistance to having a computer (iPhone, Android, whatever) in their hands: They need to see the purpose, that it solves a problem they have. Then they'll learn to use it. And those reasons have to be there ready for them, like your apps for quilters.

I was watching a video this morning of Mitch Kapor of Lotus fame and an investor in Second Life giving the keynote in/at the SL birthday party two years ago. He showed a bell curve of users of technology. He pointed out SL is out of the early adopters stage and climbing up the curve in the pragmatic stage. It's the same thing with quilters and technology. It's just another tool.

Keep up the good work!

~Jodie

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use