Which thread for which job.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
92 Posts
Points 1,980
Kate posted on Tue, Mar 27 2012 1:50 PM

Yesterday I bought a 1,000 mtr spool of thread that was cheap but selling at my local fabric shop, which was a fraction of the normal cost of poly thread that I normally get.  A total waste of money as it snaps easily - I'm a bit cross because the owner of the shop said I should try it.  Anyway, my question is can you use this cheap thread for tacking (I'm doing a long-winded hexagon project) in projects like this where the tacking is going to stay in?  What does everyone else use?

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 4:24 PM
Verified by Kate

If the shop owner recommended it and it snaps, take it back to her.  She shouldn't be recommending thread that doesn't work.   She should know if it is serger thread or not and if it was suitable for the job you're doing.  It could be old thread.   It will work fine for basting

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

You may have purchased serger thread.  Designed to be used in a three to five thread application and is indeed thin and breaks easy.  Always use a good quality thread.  After all, you don't want to spend a whole lot of time sewing only to have it come apart at the seams.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,494
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 4:24 PM
Verified by Kate

If the shop owner recommended it and it snaps, take it back to her.  She shouldn't be recommending thread that doesn't work.   She should know if it is serger thread or not and if it was suitable for the job you're doing.  It could be old thread.   It will work fine for basting

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40
Top 50 Contributor
2,880 Posts
Points 40,560
ls2116 replied on Tue, Mar 27 2012 5:05 PM

i agree with gini, i had trouble like that once and the lady that sold me the thread said it could've been old, also i came across one that every 12" of seam i sewed there was a knot in thread I threw it out, but i'd call the manufacturer.  maybe you'd get reimbursed?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:43 AM

I agree with Gini. Take it back to the store you purchased it from. Demand a refund or store credit. Most LQS owners are more than happy to accept returns for defective items as they know if they keep their customers happy, their business will grow.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
92 Posts
Points 1,980
Kate replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:56 PM

Thanks everyone, it was very cheap - £1.50, and I can use it to tack with now gini has okayed that, also I feel funny about taking it back or even going back to this shop, it's not a specific quilting shop but I've been a regular customer for couple of years now and I just feel a bit miffed that they let me buy this obviously knowing it was inferior and just trying to off-load stock they probably wished they hadn't bought in.  Perhaps it's just a little thing, but you don't expect it from the small businesses.  Anyway, I've sorted out all my thread now, ones for the machine, ones for tacking and a few for the bin.  Thanks again, k.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use