Top 10 Posters

Quilt As You Go

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 350
Bobbie posted on Fri, Mar 23 2012 12:49 AM

I am a new quilter and have recently heard about quilting as you go. Has anyone worked a large quilt this way and do you prefer this over quilting the entire project after basting the quilt sandwich? Any tips would be appreciated!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,176 Posts
Points 253,089
Answered (Not Verified) Barbara replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 12:54 AM
Suggested by Monica

Bobbie I know there are alot of people who swear by this technique ,myself I dont care for it. There are Many books written about it ,I tried doing it once and just didn't work out for me.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,706 Posts
Points 419,524
gini replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 1:33 AM

hi bobbie   a couple of members have posted tutorial on here, one is called eating the elephant. i'll look for it

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
155 Posts
Points 1,515
Monica replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 6:56 AM

Bobbie-

There is a great tutorial by Vicki Stearns with lots of step-by-step pictures called "Quilt As You Go".  Here's the link:  http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/bom_workshop_jodies_sampler/forum/t/5571.aspx.  It's not the only way to do it but it helps.

There is also a chapter in the classic book "Heirloom Machine Quilting" by Harriet Hargrave.

I'm currently working on a quilt that I did in four quadrant sections by a little different method which includes handsewing the backing together at the seams of the four sections.  Let me know if you want to know more about doing it that way.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,782

Thanks Gini for posting my link.  I was just about to do it.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,414 Posts
Points 61,782

Bobbie--

I do like the method for working on large quilts with a DSM and I see that Gini has already located and posted the link for you--thanks again, Gini.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 10:14 AM

Bobbie

I tried this method on one quilt but really didn't like it.  So I am back to the quilt sandwich and lots of stuff and fluff...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
155 Posts
Points 1,515
Monica replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 11:35 AM

Barbara-  I pushed that new yellow button and yikes it turned your box yellow.  Wonder what the purpose is?  I hate it when they complicate things!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,706 Posts
Points 419,524
gini replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 12:19 PM

it just means that you have a nifty  answer for her instead of  chitchat, and alerts her to find your tip.    is that right, nana?

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,790
Answered (Not Verified) Nana replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 12:48 PM
Suggested by Judy T-Bellingham

Gini

I have always thought that button was for the person asking the question.   She/He can select the answers that most apply to what they need.   After you click on the tab then those answers go to the top of the list and are highlighted.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,656 Posts
Points 137,960
Suggested by Sherry

Oh, sugar! I love to click on things so clicked on the yellow button to see what it would do. I thought I'd get an option to complete the action. Nope, it simply highlighted the post.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 350
Bobbie replied on Fri, Mar 23 2012 6:01 PM

Thank you all for your help! I'm going to check out the links you posted!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,837 Posts
Points 381,957
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 24 2012 1:15 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Oh, sugar! I love to click on things so clicked on the yellow button to see what it would do. I thought I'd get an option to complete the action. Nope, it simply highlighted the post.

It will turn green when the person who asked the original question "verifies" the answer. Anyone can "suggest" what he/she thinks is a really good answer.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Mar 24 2012 9:15 AM

Bobbie--

Instead of thinking about only using Quilt As You Go, take a look at the craftsy.com course "Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine".  I signed up for it and it gives you 5 ways to quilt your quilt.  Great info. and even though I have a book with some of the same info. I like to see exactly how to do things.  The course is now half price, too!  Love craftsy.com

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use