Binding

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540
Melissa Halpain posted on Wed, Mar 14 2012 7:50 PM

Just out of curiosity, how do you all cut your binding?  Do you always cut your binding on the bias or do you sometime use straight cut binding?  I have seen a couple of patterns that actually say to cut it straight.  Do you find it works better on the bias though? The reason I ask is because sometimes I don't have enough fabric to cut on the bias but I do have enough to cut it straight.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.  I'm still sort of new to quilting so I have not done any very large quilts to know how it would turn out.  Thanks again.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
69 Posts
Points 1,295

I've finished about 6 quilts now, (still have a few tops to be quilted), and I've only used straight binding.  I would probably use bias if the edges of the quilt were curved in any way, but otherwise, straight has worked fine for me.  And I've found that my arm goes numb when I do much hand work, I use a double-fold binding, sew the raw edges on the back side & bring the fold around to the front & topstitch it down by machine.    If I ever get around to doing a quilt that I think I would enter in a show,  I'll have to do it in reverse & sew it on the back by hand, but for now....

Cheryl

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,302 Posts
Points 414,089
gini replied on Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:08 PM

i cut on the bias unless i don't have enough material and if i want the pattern to go a certain way.   i like working with bias binding a lot more than straight of grain.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

I've never done a bias binding.  I'm also in the straight of grain camp and sew it on by machine.

I would do bias for curves, and I think I'd like to try a striped binding cut on the bias for that great diagonal stripe look.  Of course, some fabrics are printed that way, so maybe I won't have to.  :-)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Mar 14 2012 8:54 PM

Melissa,

I cut my binding straight across the fabric (on the 45). The only time I used a bias binding was when I made a double wedding ring quilt that had the curve edges of the quilt. Curved edges would be the only time you would need to use bias binding that I'm aware of.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,402 Posts
Points 115,595

MNnancy:

I've never done a bias binding.  .... and I think I'd like to try a striped binding cut on the bias for that great diagonal stripe look.  

Nancy, I learned a terrific method for making continuous bias binding in a class a couple years ago. I use straight binding unless I have striped or plaid fabric and want to get a really neat effect. I don't know if the instructions below will show up and they may be a bit confusing. I had to ask the instructor for hands on help to get it into my head what the instructions meant. I've also found instructions online for continuous bias binding.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Wed, Mar 14 2012 10:54 PM

Straight is my preferred method.  I do bias if I want a striped fabric to be at an angle or a curved edge.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,706 Posts
Points 436,500
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:42 PM

Melissa

I rarely cut on the bias.  I usually cut my strips from selvadge to selvadge.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884

Mellissa,I agree with all the responses ,I cut straight ,unless I'm  doing curves .  BArbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
1,495 Posts
Points 30,430
Diana replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:24 AM

I always cut my binding straight across.  I buy all the fabric I find that is printed on the diagonal so that it looks like a barber pole.  I think I've got just about any color covered...hehehe  I use the binding doubled and I hand sew it onto the back.  I may try that sewing on the back and machine sewing the binding onto the front afterwards.  I've been quilting for about 15 years and I've always cut on the straight.

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 8:35 AM

Diana,

I do the straight across binding as well and I double and sew on the front and then hand sew on the back, mitering my corners and where the end of the binding joins the beginning.  I love your "barber pole" binding thoughts. I've done a few like that and it looks really nice.

I have not tried doing the hand portion on the sewing machine. My husband mentioned buying a binding machine because almost all of my quilts in the beginning were king size. I told him I feel hand sewing the binding is sewing the final love into the quilt. This is coming from someone who does not like hand sewing. For some reason hand sewing the bindings is something I do enjoy. Strange. lol

Top 75 Contributor
1,495 Posts
Points 30,430
Diana replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 8:59 AM

Ramona,    I totally agree about bindings.  That's my favorite part of my quilts.  That's the only thing I do by hand and I'm arthritic so it takes awhile to do.  I love doing bindings because I know when that part is done,  the quilt is finished.  I even put the label in the corner before the binding so that part of the label is sewn on 2 sides by machine with the binding and that's a bit of hand sewing I don't have to do.  Anything to make my life easier and quicker. 

Diana in East Tn. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 10:39 AM

I usually use straight binding. It's quick , easy to work with, and comes out very nice. I don't think there's a visible difference between straight and bias binding once the quilt is done.  I've done bias binding but it takes so much more fabric I don't like using it unless I have a curved quilt or something that requires it.

I have done both machine binding and hand sewing the binding to the back. I really enjoy hand sewing the back of the binding to the quilt but I find I usually run out of time or my wrists hurt too bad to hand sew.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
871 Posts
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:53 PM

Melissa,  So far I've not had a need for a bias binding.  I'm also among those who enjoy hand sewing the binding. It gives me a lot of satisfaction and I like the way it looks. I also like to cut my binding 2 1/4 inches and apply as double fold.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,971 Posts
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Thu, Mar 15 2012 8:16 PM

Diana,

I also do the label in the binding. The other thing I do with the label is I sew leftover binding to the exposed edges of the label so it is completely framed  and, to me, gives it a finished look.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use