Need advice on knitting bag

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 6 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
chicagosinger posted on Sun, Mar 11 2012 5:54 PM

Hi all! I just got my patterns for purses and one of them (tulip purse) has directions for turning it into a knitting bag, which I desperately need. A couple of concerns came when I began to work on it. Firstly, it says I need to use 'fusable webbing or wool'. What is it, must I use it, and how do I use it? Sorry about the dumb question but I'm a newbie, if that's not fairly obvious yet.LOL Also, shortly I'll be posting a pic of the intended fabric and would love some input. The darker fabric'll be used for straps, pockets, etc.. The lighter color behind will be used for main body of bag. What do you think? Hope you don't think it's ugly. Don't know how good I am at matching fabrics, etc..

chicagosinger

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
Verified by chicagosinger

Sorry, it doesn't show the whole pic. You can't see the lighter fabric. At least not from what I'm seeing. Let me know if I need to take new photo.

Thanx!

chicagosinger

P.S How do you get those pretty signatures at the end of your posts?

• | Post Points: 40
Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:04 PM

chicagosinger:

Hi all! I just got my patterns for purses and one of them (tulip purse) has directions for turning it into a knitting bag, which I desperately need. A couple of concerns came when I began to work on it. Firstly, it says I need to use 'fusable webbing or wool'. What is it, must I use it, and how do I use it? Sorry about the dumb question but I'm a newbie, if that's not fairly obvious yet.LOL Also, shortly I'll be posting a pic of the intended fabric and would love some input. The darker fabric'll be used for straps, pockets, etc.. The lighter color behind will be used for main body of bag. What do you think? Hope you don't think it's ugly. Don't know how good I am at matching fabrics, etc..

chicagosinger

Chicagosinger. There are no dumb questions.:-)

Since I don't know what the pattern looks like I'm not sure what the designer is trying to have you do.  But I can tell you that fusable webbing is used to adhere one piece of fabric to another  It comes in small rolls like for doing hems and you can get it in sheets or off of a bolt for bigger projects.  The reference to wool makes me think they might be talking about using a thicker material as a batting to give the bag more structure.  I'd love to see a picture of your bag when you finish it.

Hugs

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 25
Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:10 PM

chicagosinger:

chicagosinger

I don't know how to get a link put in here but If you paste this URL into your browser it will take you to the instructions for creating a personal signature.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/blogs/faqs/archive/2011/01/24/adding-a-fancy-signature-to-your-profile.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,107 Posts
Points 410,874
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:19 PM

the fusable give is structure and the wool can be used for structure or batting.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,338 Posts
Points 38,885
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:54 PM

[quote user="[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54490/1"]'fusable webbing or wool[/quote]

Hello chicagosinger,

First let me welcome you to the group.  I don't think I've done that yet.  Secondly I'm not sure but I think they might be talking about fusible batting;  some sort of fusible interfacing that has some loft to give your bag some body.  Just a guess and I have used it in cloth books for my granddaughters.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 6:48 PM

[quote user="[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54490/1"]Hi Dara Beth! Hugs back at ya'! Thanks for your help and kind words! Sometimes (No...ALL the time, I know I'm asking some pretty rudimentary questions) Who likes being new at anything, right?

[/quote]

Chicagosinger,  One good thing is that you are not new for long!  Another is that there are many many people here that are only too happy to help out.  All a person has to do is ask.

Have a great Day!

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535

Sorry, it doesn't show the whole pic. You can't see the lighter fabric. At least not from what I'm seeing. Let me know if I need to take new photo.

Thanx!

chicagosinger

Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:04 PM

chicagosinger:

chicagosinger

Chicagosinger. There are no dumb questions.:-)

Since I don't know what the pattern looks like I'm not sure what the designer is trying to have you do.  But I can tell you that fusable webbing is used to adhere one piece of fabric to another  It comes in small rolls like for doing hems and you can get it in sheets or off of a bolt for bigger projects.  The reference to wool makes me think they might be talking about using a thicker material as a batting to give the bag more structure.  I'd love to see a picture of your bag when you finish it.

Hugs

Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:10 PM

chicagosinger:

chicagosinger

I don't know how to get a link put in here but If you paste this URL into your browser it will take you to the instructions for creating a personal signature.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/blogs/faqs/archive/2011/01/24/adding-a-fancy-signature-to-your-profile.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,107 Posts
Points 410,874
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:19 PM

the fusable give is structure and the wool can be used for structure or batting.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,338 Posts
Points 38,885
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:54 PM

[quote user="[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54490/1"]'fusable webbing or wool[/quote]

Hello chicagosinger,

First let me welcome you to the group.  I don't think I've done that yet.  Secondly I'm not sure but I think they might be talking about fusible batting;  some sort of fusible interfacing that has some loft to give your bag some body.  Just a guess and I have used it in cloth books for my granddaughters.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
Hi Mimi! Yes that answers my question and thanks for the welcome! chicagosinger

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
Hi Dara Beth! Hugs back at ya'! Thanks for your help and kind words! Sometimes (No...ALL the time, I know I'm asking some pretty rudimentary questions) Who likes being new at anything, right?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
870 Posts
Points 14,235
Answered (Verified) Dara replied on Mon, Mar 12 2012 6:48 PM

[quote user="[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54490/1"]Hi Dara Beth! Hugs back at ya'! Thanks for your help and kind words! Sometimes (No...ALL the time, I know I'm asking some pretty rudimentary questions) Who likes being new at anything, right?

[/quote]

Chicagosinger,  One good thing is that you are not new for long!  Another is that there are many many people here that are only too happy to help out.  All a person has to do is ask.

Have a great Day!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
458 Posts
Points 9,535
Good point! This site is great, sooooo many nice people here! Have a great evening! Will probably do a little work on my quilt tonight. Decided to satay in bed today as I was a bit sore from doing too much over the weekend!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use