Top 10 Posters

Which iron lasts longest?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 33 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 225
wrobocop posted on Fri, Mar 9 2012 10:45 AM

Help!  Which iron to purchase?  I bought a medium priced Sunbeam 2-3? years ago and it is just about dead.  Just doesn't heat up very hot.  Of course, we have hard well water, which sometimes I put in, so that may be the problem.  Do I need to use just distilled?  I usually use the water that goes through the water purifier.    ANyway, I will probably be in the market for a new iron.  any advice?  Expensive vs cheap?

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Not Ranked
13 Posts
Points 120
pepin replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 2:10 PM

Hello i'm sue and also agree with you,I use bottle spring not destilled.a high end rowenta is by-far the best,

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580

gini:

Frances, I only iron if the crinkles are so bad, my fabric looks  like the Andes.

Gini,

I find now when i buy any clothes (which is not often takes money away from buying fabric) l look to see how much it will crease and then i decide whether to buy it or not. Maybe Nana, You and Me are triplets then.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,253 Posts
Points 134,738

I've had my Rowenta over twenty years now. I suppose I haven't bounced it off the floor hard enough yet to ruin it. LOL.I think they stopped making them with the teflon faceplate now, which is too bad. That is one of the features I love the most as well as the vertical steam blast which I have used to take wrinkles out of draperies that I have washed and rehung.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,110 Posts
Points 410,949
gini replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 5:49 PM

i have a rowenta i got at a yard sale,  it doesn't have the teflon,  i suspect it is older than teflon.   it still works great, i got it from a little old lady that sent all of her clothes out to be dry cleaned, so it didn't get a lot of use from her.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Frances:

Since i hate ironing my irons tend to last for years, lack of use, you all must be using yours too much instead of quilting.

lots of love

Francesxx

Ironing who does any ironing ,I just use mine for pressing fabric ,LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,813 Posts
Points 352,267
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:32 PM

I also find that irons last longer if you don't put water in them. My current iron is one from Continental Electric. Less than $10. on Amazon.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,807 Posts
Points 43,614
Eileen replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 7:21 AM

gini:

the one i drop the fewest times.

LOL! I'm with you on this one, Gini! I had an inexpensive Proctor-Silex for about 18 years and it worked great until i knocked it off my ironing board.  Now I have a Digital Velocity which is expensive (got it with a Joann's coupon).  It heats up fast, steams really well & shuts itself off automatically. It requires distilled water (some irons use other bottled waters).  However, I've also had a chance to use an Oliso & I really liked that iron.  Dont know if I'd go expensive again - seems more important to have an iron I like & works well, which you can get for a lot less money.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:09 AM

I have had so many cheap irons, some worked poorly and a few have been great.  I recently bought a Rowenta from Costco and really like it.  Mainly because there is no seeping water coming out and on to the fabric.  But I recently picked up my old cheapie reliable iron and forgot how light weight it was and how easy it was to maneuver.

The moral of the story: There are pros and cons to each

Top 500 Contributor
Female
122 Posts
Points 2,165
Sherry replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:12 AM

i bought a rowenta and HATE it. leaks like a sieve. bought a cheap black and decker and love it. no leaking and nice and hot. wish it wouldn't turn off. i keep looking at yard sales for the old irons that stayed on til you turned them off.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Sheri:

i bought a rowenta and HATE it. leaks like a sieve. bought a cheap black and decker and love it. no leaking and nice and hot. wish it wouldn't turn off. i keep looking at yard sales for the old irons that stayed on til you turned them off.

Margaret

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Sheri, I have the oppsosite problem.  The cheap Black and Decker iron I just bought leaks like a sieve and the rowenta never leaked.  The black and decker does get nice and hot though.

Margaret

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,057 Posts
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:58 AM

wrobocop:
(Last name is Wrobel)

Off the iron topic...  Where do you live?  I know a couple named Wrobel in Deerwood, Minnesota.  Relatives?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 225

Husband's family is from Chicago.  We live about 30 miles outside the city in a town called Lemont.  Close enough to the city but far enough away to see racoons and other little varmits!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Last May I bought a Black and Decker Digital Advantage.  POOR DESIGN --- tips over much too easily.  And it drives me nuts because it auto shuts down too easily.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
843 Posts
Points 18,920
Cindy replied on Sat, Mar 10 2012 5:22 PM

Hi, Robocop.

I'd say in general the less you pay and the more you dislike your iron the longer it last.

Cindy

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use