Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,355
Points 31,965
MaxNTopeka Posted: Wed, Mar 7 2012 4:00 PM

I have been working on a Wonky Log Cabin lap quilt, done in black, off white, and shades of grays. The blocks will finish at 12", which will make this top 36" square.  I need to get the lap quilt to at least 40" square, but I do not want to add any blocks.  Nor do I think I want to add sashing. So I am looking at adding borders of some kind, I think.

Would you add plain 2" borders around the blocks, as I have pinned around them in the picture?  Use all one color of border? Mix the grays around the border? (Sorry...I'm not using off whites in the border!)

Or, make a piano key type border, mixing the black and grays?  Or do something else?

I have added prairie points in four of the blocks (top left, middle row on right, bottom left and bottom center). They represent black birds, thus the name of this quilt "Black Birds on the Square."   Would it be overkill to add prairie points along one side of the borders?

This quilt is inspired by Jacquie Gering's Wonky Log Cabin.  http://tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com/2008/04/for-dana-wonky-log-cabin-block-tutorial.html

I've been looking at this for two days and simply can't decide what to do.  You ladies and gents have such wonderful ideas most of the time I would like to hear them on this project.  I have not yet sewn the blocks together, so they are moveable, if necessary. And please ignore the blue background and the funky green thing at the top. It is not part of the quilt.  Thank you! 
Max

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

I like Quilt Daddy's idea of the piano key border. Perhaps a thin red border around the blocks and between the piano key border would help to seperate the blocks from the border and give the eye a place to "rest" ?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,345
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 4:23 PM

Max

I think it would be pretty with a thin red border and then a grey border with just a few black prairie points scattered around the border like you have in the blocks.   I personally think this would tie the quilt together without distracting from the basic simplicity of the design.   Beautiful blocks and love your colors.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,465
Points 49,915
Ginny replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 4:23 PM

Max,  I think both the prairie pointsand the piano key borders would take away from your wonderful wonky squares.  I would like the deep charcoal color around the whole thing to give it unity and allow the woky squares to shine.  That's MHO     Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 5:01 PM

Piano keys for sure!  can't wait to see it finished!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,773
Points 247,869
Barbara replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 5:04 PM

I to like the piano keys , I think it woud look good with this pattern  which is very pretty .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,325
Points 36,575
Linda replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 5:21 PM

I like Ginny's idea the best. At first I liked the piano keys, but after looking at the quilt, I agree they would take the focus off the wonky squares. Can't to see what you decide.

Hugs,

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630

thats two for Ginny.  I like the solid color.  I'm liking the thin red band as well.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I'm with Vivian - small red then charcoal grey.  I think piano keys would be too busy and take away from the simplicity of the design. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,281
Points 413,714
gini replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 5:54 PM

1/4 inch black border, larger grey border and bind in red.   i think piano keys would be too distracting.   i like nana's idea of throwing in a few prairie points to add interest

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,281
Points 413,714
gini replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 5:55 PM

or 1/4 inch red border, larger grey, and a black binding.    with a few prairie points

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,281
Points 413,714
gini replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 5:57 PM

i like my first thought better, now that i look again.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,384
Points 115,340

Vivian :

thats two for Ginny.  I like the solid color.  I'm liking the thin red band as well.

Ditto. Plain border with red band.

Love the wonky blocks and fabrics. Very striking.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,281
Points 413,714
gini replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 5:58 PM

and after all my gibberish, i forgot to tell you how much i like your quilt.   it's beautiful

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use