Top 10 Posters

Anyone out there having to wear wrist splints and still able to quilt?

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth Posted: Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:17 AM

My doctor has given me wrist splints to wear when I am awake.  So far I can do most things, except hand quilting and hand work.  Although working on the machine seems strange too.  I am just getting back to quilting when this happens.................  I previously tried those little gloves with finger tips but out but doc says they won't help me!  Any comments would be appreciated.

from northeast Pennsylvania

http://agardenersart.blogspot.com

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:31 AM

why are you wearing them?

I had to wear them for carpel tunnel. but only at night...........and then I had surgery.  so glad i did.  No, I couldn't do anything normally. I tried wearing them in the daytime but couldn't work with them.....since I type all day at work.............. I wish you the best of luck.

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:45 AM

I am wearing them because of bad arthritis in my thumbs... strangely the rest of my hands are fine!  So far I have been able to type....  see....  And do most things.  Have to take them off to cook dinner mostly so they don't get dirty or wet.       I have had them for 4 days and nearly used to them, except for sewing..............  can't do hand work and I am thankful my machine is auto threading.......                                                                                                   

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,096
Points 24,695
Agnes replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:59 AM

Beth:
can't do hand work

In my case, in 2005, when I was ordered to wear the splints due to carpal tunnel I was also ordered to give my hands a rest and NOT DO HANDWORK. I then imposed myself to a two year hiatus because along with the carpal tunnel I had DeQuervaine's tendoniitis. That is the thumb tendon. I wore the thumb splints during the day and the carpal tunnel splints while resting or at night,. Sometimes both at the same time during the day. He strongly recommended surgery. I had talked to a few too many people for whom it had not been successful so I opted for the regime with the physio therapist plus massage therapy. I revisited handwork at 6, 12 and 18 months. At 18 months I could resume hand stitching and cross stitch in small doses. I terribly missed the hand quilting so I really got into hand piecing and machine quilting. When the walking foot wore out and I couldn't get a replacement I put mind over matter and learned free motion quilting. I have resigned myself to the fact  that I will never hand quilt again. Now the eyes are more of a problem than the hands for cross stitch so I am packing that up as well. I truly feel however that this has opened a door to a path I would never have walked otherwise. I get more pleasure from hand piecing quilt tops than I ever did from the hand quilting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 11:55 AM

Beth

I have sewn with the wrist and thumb splints on.  It took a little while to get use to but I was able to do it without too much problem.  Just keep working with it and you will find a method that works for you.   Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 3:16 PM

I went to my Janome Club this morning and when I came home I sat down at my machine and started to sew.  Happily it didn't hurt.  I did some paper piecing work on my little wall hanging.   So far so good. 

The ironing didn't bother me either.   When I get used to that I hope I can get back to some machine applique.  Hand applique is definitely OUT for a while!

Thanks for your comments.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,923
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 4:07 PM

Beth,

Just dropping in to wish you well with your splints. Haven't had the problem, thank the Lord. Ido pray you don't have to wear them long and they do the healing trick for you.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 4:58 PM

Beth,

it takes some getting used to. I only wear my splints at night now (when I sleep) but I had to wear them most of the time when I first got them. Good luck.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 5:30 PM

Thanks Ramona and Kris.

Kris, I used to live in Maine, a bit farther north than you, Up in Winterport, just south of Bangor.  I did a LOT of quilting when I lived up there.  Had a great LQS over in Brewer and also down in Waterville there was a great place to buy fabric.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 6:36 PM

Beth,

my in-laws live on Verona Island (right outside Bucksport). when DH and I go up that way I like to find the quilt shops. Not sure where Waterville is but I'll look into it. My friend Pat and I like to go in search of new shops.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:05 PM

Kris, I am not sure what quilt shops still exist up in that part of the world anymore.  I am pretty sure the shop is gone in Brewer.  In Waterville, the name of the store was The Yardgoods Shop.  They also did a lot with rubberstamping, and other craft things.  Also I think Mardens had a great fabric section in Waterville.  Marden's also has a good fabric section in Brewer.  I  go there every summer when we go back to visit.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,802
Points 352,062
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:11 PM

Beth,

I live near a Marden's, Less than a mile away, and they do have a nice selection of fabrics. A lot of people come from from New Hampshire to shop there.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 36
Points 930
Beth replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:24 PM

You are lucky Kris cause they have good prices.  The one up in Brewer carries a lot of very good fabric. And the prices are excellent.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 10:15 PM

Beth, I only had to wear one on my right hand for carpal tunnel.  If you wear those gloves with little sticky dots on them it helps grip the fabric going through your machine.   Had to learn to type with them as I had to type at least 5-6 hours of every day at work.    Still have to use it when I use my right hand too much.

Nana's right, it takes some getting used to but if you experiment, you'll find a way.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 92
Points 1,980
Kate replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 11:14 AM

Hello Beth, I'm new here so I hope it's ok to reply as your post caught my eye.  I have a very bad thumb joint due to bone erosion from rheumatoid arthritis and had to wear a perspex-type thumb splint after a steroid injection in to the joint failed.  This joint seems to respond to nothing but the splint, so I would say try to keep using them if you can.  I wore it for nearly 8 months and the joint settled right down and has been that way for nearly a year now and I no longer wear it.  It did mean I couldn't sew as freely as I liked and it annoyed me alot but it was worth it I think.  It did also teach me to slow down and not try to push through the pain, but it is hard to adjust to.  Of course, not all arthritis is the same, but I hope you get on ok and you're not in too much discomfort.

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use