Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 210 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 208 209 210 211 212 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,451
Points 40,760
Mimi replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 11:34 AM

Gina,

I'm a little late to say congratulations on completing your quilt.  It is  wonderful and I love how you have finished it.  You have inspired me to finish my MQ 6 top this weekend.  Thanks for the beautiful reminder that I should get 'er done.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075
Tami Paul replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:21 PM

okay this looks like the most active group today (that I am signed up for anyway). Okay I have a question. I am going to make a baby quilt. I was thinking about flannel. Any pros and cons to using it. Should I prewash? And any great patterns?

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:18 PM

you definitely have to pre-wash flannel. A yard can shrink 2 inches.  I just made a disappearing 9 patch, turned out nice and it was quick. Or maybe a rag quilt if you're using flannel.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:23 PM

Or this is a fun quilt:It's a wonky 9 patch. I got the pattern here.

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/02/crazy-ninepatch-lattice-quilt.html

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:03 PM

Ginny:

Gina, sounds like you have quite a few choices for fabric in your area.  Guess I'll have to go on line and see if Herrschners has anything offered there.  Always good to find a new supplier.     Ginny

Yes Ginny, I do have quite a few options for fabric in the area I live in.  I am fortunate that way.  But I still prefer to buy most of my fabrics online...go figure!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:34 PM

Mimi:

Gina,

I'm a little late to say congratulations on completing your quilt.  It is  wonderful and I love how you have finished it.  You have inspired me to finish my MQ 6 top this weekend.  Thanks for the beautiful reminder that I should get 'er done.

Thank you Mimi...and you're not all that late!  I am glad that you've been inspired to finish your quilt top!  Looking fwd to seeing some photos of it on here when you do get it finished!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,517
Points 50,880
Ginny replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 7:39 AM

Gina,  I go on line for a lot of my fabrics also,  in fact, just yesterday I went on line searching for a specific fabric.  I had no idea who had made the fabric or what line it was from, or what year, just knew what it looked like.  Well, I found it.  I had spent a couple of hours looking for it, and I found it on Etsy.  Whoo, hoo, I'm a happy camper.  

I went on line to see if Herrschners offered fabric online, but nope.  That's okay.  I was just curious.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,517
Points 50,880
Ginny replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 7:47 AM

oops, Gina, I guess that I told you a fib.  I didn't find my fabric on Etsy, I found it at craft connection.  I guess there was one on etsy that I would have tried to make work, but found the exact fabric I wanted on Craft Connection.     Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,779
Points 30,855
Roxana replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 9:40 AM

Gina,
Did you get my links for online shops? I live in a retirement village and with the exception of one Quilt shop, I have to drive quite a distance to buy fabric. I buy lots online.
Roxana 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 9:57 AM

okay, thanks. So.... If a yard can shrink to 2" (snicker), how much additional yardage should I add to the pattern when I go to buy? I like that pattern you posted.  JoAnn's has snuggle flannel on sale today, so I had better hurry and decide..

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Walla2buttefly

Just wanted you to have a heads up on a couple other flannel issues. Often the bolts aren't 44" wide.  So double check that when you are shopping.  I'm guessing an extra quarter yard for each yard of material will be enough to compensate for shrinkage but the stuff ravels out like crazy too when it is washed.  I'd be tempted to buy an extra 30-50% to be on the safe side.  Especially if Joann's has great sale and it too expensive.  

Happy shopping!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:04 PM

Ginny:

Gina,  I go on line for a lot of my fabrics also,  in fact, just yesterday I went on line searching for a specific fabric.  I had no idea who had made the fabric or what line it was from, or what year, just knew what it looked like.  Well, I found it.  I had spent a couple of hours looking for it, and I found it on Etsy.  Whoo, hoo, I'm a happy camper.  

I went on line to see if Herrschners offered fabric online, but nope.  That's okay.  I was just curious.    Ginny

Ginny...  I have purchased so much fabric on eBay over the past few years, that it's always my first place to look for fabrics I can't find locally.  I have a few favorited sellers on eBay too, that I know have good prices and quality fabrics.  But I also order a lot from the FatQuarterShop online as well.  I love their monthly programs...I was getting a jelly roll each month, but cancelled last month so I could catch up with what I have in stash...LOL.  I also do a couple of their monthly quilt blocks.

That's too bad Herrschner's doesn't offer fabrics online.  It must still be too new for them to offer that.  They do have gorgeous, high quality fabrics in their store.

That's fantastic you were able to find the fabric you were needing!  The fabric I need, I can't find anywhere anymore, not even on eBay, as it's been discontinued.  I've had people from California all the way to New York contactiing me through my blog asking if I can make another Vincent Van Gogh "Starry Night" quilt.  I made one with fabric I got on eBay, and posted pictures of it on my blog a few years ago.  And ever since I get numbers of requests for more.  But I just can't find the fabric anymore, which really sucks.  I'd love to make a couple more someday...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:16 PM

Ginny:

oops, Gina, I guess that I told you a fib.  I didn't find my fabric on Etsy, I found it at craft connection.  I guess there was one on etsy that I would have tried to make work, but found the exact fabric I wanted on Craft Connection.     Ginny

The Craft Connection?  I will have to Google it and see their site.  I can't recall if I've been on their site or not.  

I visit a ton of quilting/sewing sites each month because I enjoy searching for the bunny for the FabShopHop.  Don't know if you've ever heard of it, but check it out sometime if you haven't.  You search for the bunny on all kinds of different sites related to sewing & quilting, and you get entered into contests to win sewing machines and fabric, and all sorts of other things.  Each month is a new hop.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:19 PM

Ginny...I have been to the Craft Connection website...just Googled it and it came up in my history.  They've got the FabShopHop bunny icon in the top left section of their home page...  cool!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,779
Points 30,855
Roxana replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 12:25 PM

Gina, who are the sellers you really trust on eBay? Roxana

Page 210 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 208 209 210 211 212 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use