Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 202 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 200 201 202 203 204 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,455
Points 40,810
Mimi replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:48 PM

Sue Jones:
When is the MQ7 starting?

Sandy will post the details in about a month or so.  It should be exciting as always.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 433
Points 11,120
Donna replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:52 PM

Although MQ6 is not quilted,  I am also ready for MQ7.  I have learned in my short 1 1/2 year quilting career, I like the piecing much more than I do the quilting???  But that maybe because I havent had any instruction in free motion quilting and I am getting tired of stitch in the ditch. 

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 1,145

You aren't alone!  Piecing is always more fun for me too!

Karen, aka yayaquilts

Southern California

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 7:16 PM

Hi Donna and Karen,

I just got the book, One Line at a Time, Encore by Charlotte Warr Andersen. I was especially interested in the fact that the designs were mostly done with a walking foot. I've not gotten into free motion yet, but these designs all seem fairly easy, and aren't SID!

There are several volumes in this series and I plan to add them as I can.

HTH

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 190

Donna,

Leah Day has some great lessons on free motion quilting.  Check out:  http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/start-here.html

She gives some great lessons, starting with the basics and moving forward.  (If the link doesn't work, just Google Leah Day.)

Lee Behnke

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:15 AM

Yesterday I picked up my MQ6 quilt from The Quilting Place in Almond, Wisconsin, where I took it to have it long-arm machine quilted.  Nancy Butolph, Owner of The Quilting Place, did a BEAUTIFUL job on the quilting!  I wish I could do my own quilting, but I don't have a machine capable of doing so.  I love how it turned out after being quilted.  Now I just have to bind it and it'll be finished!

• | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,140
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:12 PM

Pretty. With the red strips on the back makes me think of summer time. I still working on mine. Good portion done, have went through 2 spools of thread and working on my 3rd. Seeing how it is "my quilt" I have been practicing FM stitches and not worrying about perfection, just practice practice. I saw a demo by Marge Edie yesterday for a bargello that you actually are quilting as your making the top. I ordered the book, so will give that a try someday. Sure am getting excited about MQ7, and what it is going to be like. hopefully a christmas gift???

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,524
Points 50,990
Ginny replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:14 PM

It is beautiful, Gina  the quilting is very nice too.  Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:20 PM

Thank you so very much, Ginny.  When I got the quilt top done, I wasn't super impressed with it...I thought it looked to plain since the colors were so soft and mellow.  After seeing it quilted, I really like it now, and don't know if I want to sell it or keep it.  :o)

Ginny:

It is beautiful, Gina  the quilting is very nice too.  Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:25 PM

Thank you Tami!  I was so unsure what to use for the back of the quilt, and when I was at Hancock Fabrics they were clearancing out a bunch of fabrics at 50-80% off per yard.  I bought 10 yards of the striped fabric.  Since the reddish color actually matches the reddish colors in the front of the quilt, I decided to use it.  It turned out pretty nice and could actually be displayed from front or back!

I originally made it to sell, but now I am considering keeping it...not really sure.  Once I get the binding on it I will have to make a decision.

I too am excited about MQ7...can't wait to get started!

walla2butterfly:

Pretty. With the red strips on the back makes me think of summer time. I still working on mine. Good portion done, have went through 2 spools of thread and working on my 3rd. Seeing how it is "my quilt" I have been practicing FM stitches and not worrying about perfection, just practice practice. I saw a demo by Marge Edie yesterday for a bargello that you actually are quilting as your making the top. I ordered the book, so will give that a try someday. Sure am getting excited about MQ7, and what it is going to be like. hopefully a christmas gift???

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 1:32 PM

Gina,

Your quilt turned out beautiful!  You said that you wish you could do your own quilting and I want you to know that any machine can be used for quilting!  I have quilted hundreds on my regular, ordinary machine; queen, king, FM, SID, you name it, and all with no lessons (also, only one-armed; MS took my left side).  I was waaaay too cheap to pay a longarm quilter, so I taught myself.  Now, I have a longarm machine and do lots of other people's quilts, but still go back to my little, old sewing machine for lots of quilting techniques.  Quilting is very easy, after you put in a bunch of practice; heck, putting on binding can be more challenging than the quilting!

Sheila from MT

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 163
Points 2,310
Gina replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 2:01 PM

Thank you Sheila!

I use a Kenmore sewing machine - http://www.kenmore.com/kenmore-computerized-drop-in-bobbin-sewing-machine-with-215/p-02019233000P - And I know it says in the manual it can quilt, but man am I afraid to try and do it.  I really need to find a class on free-motion quilting, because I'd love to learn.  I have done some simple quilting on small quilts using my machine, but find it really hard to fit the bulk of even a small quilt between the needle and main part of the sewing machine.

Anyways...thanks so much for your compliment and your encouragement!  I do appreciate it.  :o)

Sheila:

Gina,

Your quilt turned out beautiful!  You said that you wish you could do your own quilting and I want you to know that any machine can be used for quilting!  I have quilted hundreds on my regular, ordinary machine; queen, king, FM, SID, you name it, and all with no lessons (also, only one-armed; MS took my left side).  I was waaaay too cheap to pay a longarm quilter, so I taught myself.  Now, I have a longarm machine and do lots of other people's quilts, but still go back to my little, old sewing machine for lots of quilting techniques.  Quilting is very easy, after you put in a bunch of practice; heck, putting on binding can be more challenging than the quilting!

Sheila from MT

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,370
Points 174,993
Marie replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 3:07 PM

Gina, beautiful quilt!  Love the backing as well!  

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960
Debbie-do replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 5:59 PM

Gina, your quilt is lovely and what perfect backing you chose!  Well done!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 6:03 PM

Your quilter did a beautiful job, Gina!  I'd want to keep this quilt for myself!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 202 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 200 201 202 203 204 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use