Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 139 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 137 138 139 140 141 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,420

Here's a few squares from Step 5.

After seeing this with step four I think that I should of used a different background than in the Bittersweet kit that I used for this. I think that the background material is too over powering . If end results don't please me this quilt will be a charity quilt.

Pat B from Southern California

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 22 2012 5:48 PM

Cheryl D:

I have started Step Five and did not get done this weekend. I hope that I will get caught up by the next step.

I am using Maison De Garance Jelly Roll by French General I am not sure if I like it.

Cheryl,  looks like you are doing a great job.  I think it will turn out better than you think.  But if it still isn't your style you can always gift it.  I'm sure there is someone who will just love it. I know I do. :o)

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 297
Points 6,745
didash replied on Tue, May 22 2012 5:49 PM

LOL Pat! Not as overpowering as my blue!!! :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 22 2012 5:50 PM

Susie:

Here is a sample of my steps.  I am really liking the blues even more.  And I'm glad that I did go with the print for the background.  I wanted it to stand out, but not pull away from all the blues in the blocks.

Love it Susie.  The blues are great and I love the bits of yellow!  WTG!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 22 2012 5:58 PM

Donna:

Ok I figured it out LOL.  I havent posted this before because I am using the material from Missouri Star and others have the same.  But I finally decided I wanted someone to uhhhhh and awwwww over mine lol.  

So glad to oblige Donna. LOL    You are doing a terrific job.  I love the fabrics.  I can't get enough of them.  Keep up the great work!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 22 2012 6:05 PM

Marilyn B:

DEANNAC-2:

I don't really think it would even be noticed but it would take away some guilt when I buy more fabric. My stash makes me smile on rainy days! Quilting is truly the best therapy out there. More folks should take it up and relax . . .

I agree Deannac-2.  The only time I truly don't mind giving some of my stash away is when I give it to another quilter.  Oh and I just ordered a lot of that Dr. Who fabric so now I must find and then make a new quilt for our king size bed.

In the mean time, at 5 this morning I got up and finished pressing my step 5, so here they be.  some of them don't quite lay flat and I may have to rip a bit but we will see when I go to squaring them up.

Looking Good.  WTG Marilyn!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155

wow ladies!  I'm totally groovin' these fabric combinations!!  I absolutely LOVE the blue.  Reminds me of the Carriabean ocean....aahhh.  And thanks for the suggestion, I think I shall pop over to Nana's scrap quilt thing.  Sounds awsome, and I can use up some more of my random stash!!  Yippee!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Tue, May 22 2012 6:24 PM

Cindi, your blues leave me giddy with anticipation!  :o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655
Debbie-do replied on Tue, May 22 2012 6:38 PM

Susie, I'm lovin your blues too!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 297
Points 6,745
didash replied on Tue, May 22 2012 6:54 PM

Cheryl D:

I have started Step Five and did not get done this weekend. I hope that I will get caught up by the next step.

I am using Maison De Garance Jelly Roll by French General I am not sure if I like it.

Love the colors, Cheryl.  If you don't like it when done, I know a great home for it in New Jersey :)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 871
Points 14,240
Dara replied on Tue, May 22 2012 7:03 PM

didash:

I've decided to stick with this MQ project!  I revisited Step 5 last night. Got about 1/2 of them done.  Funny thing is, my points and seams are matching up really well!!! LOL - I think I only have 2 seams that are barely "off" and 1 point that is "short".  My problem was that after I had the blocks together to make the X, I seemed to have too much background fabric in the X and the fabric is "poofy"  - NOT puckered...just poofy - which will make putting them together with the other blocks in the next step really difficult; especially since I don't know how to "ease"  :(

I think I've come up with a solution - maybe someone can tell me if they think it will work.  I will finish all the step 5 blocks. I figured I could press them all well, making sure that the background fabric is smooth...then since some of my seams will be "overlapped" on the top side, when I go to quilt, instead of stitching truely "in the ditch" I can stitch just outside the ditch to keep the extra folded fabric in place. Does that make sense??? It's hard to describe.  Does anyone think this will "work"???? What's the downside?? What am I missing?  The only other option I could see was to rip out 95% of the Step 2 blocks and re-sew or get new fabric and start over with them. Opinions???

Thanks a million once again!  You gals and guys are THE BEST!!!  I'm going to feel so lonely when this MQ is over! LOL!

PS - on a positive note, the College Memories quilt I'm making for my niece is coming together VERY nicely!! I'll post a picture of the first 2 blocks later today or this evening if anyone wants to see them...It's a double star design with photos/phrases in the center of the stars.

Diane I'm so glad you've decided to give it another go! 

I think I understand. And yes, nothing says you have to stitch in the ditch.  Often quilters will stitch just to the side of a seam. As long as you are consistent in what you do it will turn out great.   And yes we always want to see pictures. :-)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 297
Points 6,745
didash replied on Tue, May 22 2012 7:17 PM

Ok Gang, since I'm making a quilt for my DN (dear neice) of course I'm going to have to make one for my DN (dear nephew)! Just trying to plan ahead.  

Anyone have a suggestion of a pattern that is not too complicated or time intensive and sort of "masculine" ?(no Grandma's Flower Garden this time - LOL)  I plan to use fabrics with a musical theme and "masculine" colors - ie no pinks, flowers, you get the idea.  Have been searching free patterns for about 2 hours (instead of sewing :(   ) and nothing has jumped at me saying "I'm the one!"

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

• | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,420

didash:

Anyone have a suggestion of a pattern that is not too complicated or time intensive and sort of "masculine" ?(no Grandma's Flower Garden this time - LOL)  I plan to use fabrics with a musical theme and "masculine" colors - ie no pinks, flowers, you get the idea.  Have been searching free patterns for about 2 hours (instead of sewing :(   ) and nothing has jumped at me saying "I'm the one!"

My boyfriend holding quilt top being a smartie. I don't have the borders on yet, but let me know what you think of this pattern it's called Ying Yang. If you are interested let me know than we can become friends and I will copy pattern and send it to you. You use jelly roll strips and pick a background material. Mine is going to be all black and white. I'm expecting my border materials to come tomorrow. When top is completed I will post another picture of completed top. It can be made from twin to king size.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,420

Diane I forgot to mention that quilt is very easy to make.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,532
Points 22,990
Susie replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:26 PM

didash:

Ok Gang, since I'm making a quilt for my DN (dear neice) of course I'm going to have to make one for my DN (dear nephew)! Just trying to plan ahead.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Didash--look at this one.  It's a 5 yard quilt.  It takes 1 yard of 5 different fabrics to make the top. I added a 6th fabric of almost 2 yards to add in the sash strips to make it large enough.  I can friend you and send you the pattern, if you like it.  It stitches up really fast.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35
Page 139 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 137 138 139 140 141 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use