Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 137 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 135 136 137 138 139 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 55
EvieH replied on Mon, May 21 2012 11:34 PM

I have the Bittersweet jelly rolls but they've been allocated to another project.  I love this fabric line!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 83
Points 1,005
Jackie replied on Tue, May 22 2012 4:16 AM

Thanks Cindi,

It was hard a few times to just let go...  ;)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, May 22 2012 5:02 AM

DEANNAC-2:

I don't really think it would even be noticed but it would take away some guilt when I buy more fabric. My stash makes me smile on rainy days! Quilting is truly the best therapy out there. More folks should take it up and relax . . .

I agree Deannac-2.  The only time I truly don't mind giving some of my stash away is when I give it to another quilter.  Oh and I just ordered a lot of that Dr. Who fabric so now I must find and then make a new quilt for our king size bed.

In the mean time, at 5 this morning I got up and finished pressing my step 5, so here they be.  some of them don't quite lay flat and I may have to rip a bit but we will see when I go to squaring them up.

Paris, Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 625
Points 9,315
MaggieNae replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:20 AM

Donna, Ooooh, Aaaaaah.  Very pretty.  Nice job on your points too.  I'm excited to see how these quilts with the richer colors and ligher background are turning out.  Mine is brighter colors with a dark background.  I will also say there is a high percentage of my pionts not anywhere near meeting.  I'm leaving them alone as long as the edges of my blocks are straight and level.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 215
Points 7,525
Kay replied on Tue, May 22 2012 9:45 AM

Congrats to MN Nancy!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 431
Points 10,945
Donna replied on Tue, May 22 2012 10:03 AM

MaggieNea,  thanks for the ooooh and awwww.  About the points,  they do look good in the pic but a lot of mine are not exact either.  But thats what makes the quilt mine.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Tue, May 22 2012 10:09 AM

My daughter was pulled into this one kicking & screaming.  She's a couple steps behind & I offered last night to help her get caught up.  She thought about it for all of a minute before she said No...it was her quilt and she wanted to do it.

Then she promptly stuck her tongue out at me at told me she hated me.  (Did I mention that she's 22?)  I just laughed and tossed her a FQ bundle I picked up that I thought she would like.  She fell in love with it and wants to see what kind of patterns would look good with it.

I think I have her hooked good and proper now :)  I'll get a picture of her squares tonight and post them.  She was going to work on it today--Tuesday is her day off.  She has her girls, but should still be able to get some sewing done.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 294
Points 3,235
Elizabeth replied on Tue, May 22 2012 10:48 AM

didash:
... I've come to the realization that I probably bit off more than I could chew, this being only my second quilt. :(

Diane, don't give up on yourself so quickly.  I've always found that if we don't push ourselves we never grow,and that is especially true when it comes to crafty endeavors such as quilting.  As many others have already said, it's highly unlikely that anybody but you will even notice if things don't quite match up once the whole top is put together and quilted.  My advice would be to finish making those Step 5 blocks, post pictures of everything you've completed so far and let's see what needs to be "fixed", if anything.  I'm sure with so many working on this project we'll be able to come up with an acceptable solution for you.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 265
Jean in MN replied on Tue, May 22 2012 11:08 AM

I've made a couple raggy quilts, and I think the outside seam allowances were a half-inch instead of the usual quarter-inch.  The pattern I used was Fuzzy Bear from Quiltmaker issue 118, Nov/Dec 2007.  I'd pull one out and measure for you, except they're in a trunk which is now underneath all the stuff our son just brought home when he moved home from college last week.  And of course I can't find the magazine - every one but!   lol  Hope this helps a little.

Jean in MN (QuiltAwhile)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 312
Points 7,115
didash replied on Tue, May 22 2012 11:31 AM

Update!  To Elizabeth, MizPat, MaggieNae, Nana, Ashley, Mary789, Patti, Snugglebug, and any others I missed - Thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart...I really needed that kick in the pants! I appreciate so much the encouragement and understanding and the offer of help (I don't have "quilting buddies" to talk to, ask questions of or learn from...this new fascination is all self-taught with the help of reading and internet videos.  The LQS is not close by, although they are helpful to a point. After about 2 questions, they start trying to sell me a class which isn't in the $ or time budget right now).

I've decided to stick with this MQ project!  I revisited Step 5 last night. Got about 1/2 of them done.  Funny thing is, my points and seams are matching up really well!!! LOL - I think I only have 2 seams that are barely "off" and 1 point that is "short".  My problem was that after I had the blocks together to make the X, I seemed to have too much background fabric in the X and the fabric is "poofy"  - NOT puckered...just poofy - which will make putting them together with the other blocks in the next step really difficult; especially since I don't know how to "ease"  :(

I think I've come up with a solution - maybe someone can tell me if they think it will work.  I will finish all the step 5 blocks. I figured I could press them all well, making sure that the background fabric is smooth...then since some of my seams will be "overlapped" on the top side, when I go to quilt, instead of stitching truely "in the ditch" I can stitch just outside the ditch to keep the extra folded fabric in place. Does that make sense??? It's hard to describe.  Does anyone think this will "work"???? What's the downside?? What am I missing?  The only other option I could see was to rip out 95% of the Step 2 blocks and re-sew or get new fabric and start over with them. Opinions???

Thanks a million once again!  You gals and guys are THE BEST!!!  I'm going to feel so lonely when this MQ is over! LOL!

PS - on a positive note, the College Memories quilt I'm making for my niece is coming together VERY nicely!! I'll post a picture of the first 2 blocks later today or this evening if anyone wants to see them...It's a double star design with photos/phrases in the center of the stars.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 981
Points 24,590

didash:

Thanks a million once again!  You gals and guys are THE BEST!!!  I'm going to feel so lonely when this MQ is over! LOL!

Lonely?????? Okay...you obviously haven't checked out some of the other posts/groups. Join into the "Did you work on a quilt today #5" in Quiltmaking or "What are you up to today #5" in Off Topic or any of the dozens of posts from the message boards. I never make a post where someone doesn't respond with love and concern and tips and quips.

Now if you live near East Tennessee, you have several quilting friends in the neighborhood.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075
Tami Paul replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:03 PM

Thanks Jean, appriciate the help. it does sound familiar. I am sure about everything in this quilt but the red, haha but it wouldnt be raggidy ann with out the red. I almost thought about maybe a little grey or silver haha. think my sis would kick by behind. But I am sure there is a color out there that will work with her colors. But I have plenty of time and a few other places to look. Thanks again.

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075
Tami Paul replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing, a couple of weeks ago. I have got so attatched to checking this site, what will I do after it is done. But then I went over to scrappy Happy and found a new mystery quilt to do. Now I wonder what I have gotten my self into as I had already been planning some other quilts for gifts. and the garden is so huge this year haha. thank heaven there are 17 hrs of daylight in the summer .. okay off to work everyone have a great few days

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:30 PM

Diane

I have actually pressed my blocks flat and then quilted the overlap on a few of my quilts.  It works fine and unless someone is really hunting they can't find it.  I am not sure why you are having the puffys but you can fix them.  I would have to see the blocks to be able to tell you what happened.  It sounds like either your square was a little bigger than it should have been or it stretched when you sewed the corners pieces on.  Good luck.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 1,170
Gagoo replied on Tue, May 22 2012 12:47 PM

Hi just popping in, wanted to let everyone know I am still part of the group. I have finished a couple of the steps will get pics posted soon, love every ones pics, gorgeous colors. And to whoever said they were having a hard time matching up seams I want to say, RELAX.....some times my points and seams match up and sometimes they don't, no matter how hard I try. No one ever notices but YOURSELF. So go easy on yourself and enjoy.

Quilty Hugs,

Gagoo

Page 137 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 135 136 137 138 139 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use