Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 133 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 131 132 133 134 135 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,671
Points 65,735
Bonita replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:22 PM

Bright and beautiful Carol.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 171
Points 2,495

Linda, its not necessariy that I Want to be in control, I just can't seem to help it. And the thing is I love all the scrappy quilts that others are making , they are all going to be soooo beautiful. ..I'm happy with the way my quilts come out and thats the important thing, after all that is one of the reasons we like to quilt. The satisfaction we get from creating something, and the joy of the person / persons who receive it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, May 20 2012 8:43 PM

Carol W:
I finally got cought up on my MQ!  This is what my steps 4 and 5 look like:

Carol, I love your colors - will make a nice bright quilt. 

I wish I had more tone-on-tone fabrics in my collections.  I have to either buy cheap (and those fabrics are mostly multicolored prints and uglies) or use stash - more of the same.  I did find several large pieces (3 to 4 yds each) of TOT creams and tans, but am using them up too fast.  I can't pay the retail price for fabrics so haunt the shop sales and bolt ends but rarely find TOTs or neutrals.  At least I have been able to find plenty of scraps and small pieces in my stash to make these scrap quilts we have been doing lately.  Need to hunt out some more backgrounds I can afford along with a few scrap bags to add some variety to my scraps.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, May 20 2012 8:59 PM

betty.tolliver@yahoo.com:
I learned a big lesson with this ....I  HAVE TO HAVE CONTROL....

Betty and all other queens of control, I used to be right there with all of you.  It has been very hard for me to just "let it go as it will".  This is the first quilt that I have really let go.  I have been helped by doing all the wheelchair quilts I am doing.  The first were very controlled but scrappy - also big blocks (which I hate).  The later ones are becoming more "scrambled".  I just don't put like patches next to each other. in MQ 6 I tried not to put them in the same block, but failed there several times in my step 4 blocks.  I DID pin my half-blocks for step five so that I didn't repeat prints in each block - there's that control again - but with 75 different yet similar fabrics, I didn't have too many problems with identical prints next to each other.  I just need to sew that one seam in 24 blocks and I will be caught up except for the "border".  I just put 6 blocks together at a time so that I can see if the pattern lends itself to my smaller quilts.  If not, I will do the full size and redesign it for the small quilts.

I am waiting for Friday and the last step.  There are going to be so many beautiful and different quilts out there - some "controlled", some semi-controlled (me) and the rest random as they should be.  Some day I will be in the random class - I'm getting there.  I am also allowing myself to let small mistakes stay - maybe there is hope for the "perfectionist control freek" in me yet!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 294
Points 3,235
Elizabeth replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:00 PM

MizPat:
The jury is still out on my fabric choices.  Sometimes I look at it and it looks G*d-AWFUL!  Other times, I think it won't be my favorite quilt, but it isn't that bad.  Urban Odessey from Connecting Threads is way different from my normal traditional fabrics, but I decided to go for it, for a change of pace.

I'm sure once it's all done it will be lovely.  I'm working on a couple of samplers through my quilt shop and had a similar situation.  There were four fabric collection options and I chose one that was totally outside of my comfort zone.  Each month when our new block is put together I find myself liking it more and more, despite my initial misgivings.  The way I figure is, even if I wind up hating it, somebody else will like it and I can always give it away.

I'm using mostly Connecting Threads fabrics also but I don't think they come from any particular collection.  In fact, I think they may actually have been part of a kit my daughter bought me a while back to make a pretty tote bag for her .. oops .. lol

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 294
Points 3,235
Elizabeth replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:02 PM

Dara Beth:

I've got all of my blocks together.  Yipeee!

Oooh, these are really pretty.  Can't wait to see if finished.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:05 PM

I just bought 3 of Bonnie Hunter's books today.  I hope she can help me with my control.  She does control somewhat, but sure can mix colors up!  This old dog wants to learn new tricks, and I have learned a lot here already.  I was too traditional both in colors and patterns.  I like that Bonnie uses the small scraps that most throw away.  I keep EVERYTHING, no matter how small, except for selvages and tiny trimmings that can't be sewn.  I even used selvages for stabilizing seams in place of twill tape in my clothing construction days.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,900
Cindi replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:59 PM

Let's see if I can make this work.  Maybe its not too much control.  :D  Just a little right?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 1,900
Cindi replied on Sun, May 20 2012 9:59 PM

deleted double post

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 171
Points 2,495

Marsha, I even save my selvages....I use them to tie things instead of using string, they come in very handy .

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sun, May 20 2012 10:26 PM

Cindi

Pretty colors but I am sorry to say that those blocks are pretty controlled...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Mon, May 21 2012 4:57 AM

I live in Charleston, SC. Weather is great but not many quilt stores around here.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:17 AM

Marsha

Check out www.connectingthreads.com  for tone on tone fabric.   They have a line called Mirage that is all blender fabrics at a very good price.  I think it is $5 to $6 per yard.   I always have several different colors in my stash.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:37 AM

My niece just sent me this link this morning.  If you are a Dr. Who fan or Star Trek fan take a look.  http://www.spoonflower.com/tags/doctor%20who?image=design&page=1&t=doctor+who

Paris, Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:57 AM

Nana:

Marsha

Check out www.connectingthreads.com  for tone on tone fabric.   They have a line called Mirage that is all blender fabrics at a very good price.  I think it is $5 to $6 per yard.   I always have several different colors in my stash.

Thanks, Nana,  I have been looking at the Mirage collection for quite a while and have copied the fabrics to my computer to use in EQ, but have to convince Rich that we CAN afford my buying these fabrics - maybe a few at a time.  I want the WHOLE collection!  (Dream on!!!)   Our sources of income are dwindling - our nephew just told us he can't pay the lease on the farm  for about 6 months because he needs the money to plant the crops - can anyone guess what that means?  (He is already 1 month behind).  He has already gone bankrupt once, is on cash only for fuel, feed, etc, and has dug his hole very deep!  It seems OUR cost for repairs on the buildings and milking equipment has also skyrocketed lately. 

Page 133 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 131 132 133 134 135 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use