Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 123 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 121 122 123 124 125 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,203 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Marie:

Judy, I went to Google images and there it was!  Amazing!  You did a good job on your hunt for your "Summer Challenge" and came up with it and the history behind it.  Thank you!  Very pretty, BTW.

Thanks--I spent lots of time searching for red and white quilts.  I really liked the intrinsic motion in this quilt.  Having the history with makes it really special--I feel honored to be able to make a quilt in the same pattern.  I really appreciate the labor Phyllis put into her quilt doing all those blocks by hand.  But I have to admit, Im glad I have a sewing machine!   :-)

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,125

Hi Judy,

You are amazing to have your summer challenge nearly complete and its still spring! spring fever?

The MQ6 step 2 is an inspiration. The quilt is really beautiful. The clear crisp simple repetative pattern in red and white is fabulous! Love the story too. It was beautiful in the 1800's and it s just as lovely now!

Happy sewing!

Janet

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 116,335

Pat, this is going to be very very pretty. Love the fabrics

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Tue, May 15 2012 10:33 AM

Judy:
 But I have to admit, Im glad I have a sewing machine!

Me too!  At this point having slightly numb fingers makes hand work very difficult for me.  I bet when you were stitching the quilt, Phyllis was right there beside you saying "quilting has sure come a long way"!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Tue, May 15 2012 10:38 AM

Judy (Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts) where in MA do you live?

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Tue, May 15 2012 11:32 AM

I started Step 1 with the idea of truly scrappy, made with different shades of blues.  My oldest granddaughter loves blue and she is about to be out of 8th grade so a perfect time to make her a quilt.  So I did step 1, 2, and 3. She is temporarily living with us so she has wandered in and out and not payed too much attention but has oohed and ahhhed a bit.  She had the misfortune, in her young age, that her Cheerleading coach from the last 4 years passed away last Monday.  The funeral was Friday.  Before we went I HAD to see what step 4 was.  She looked at it and asked if that was for all those blue pieces.  When I told her yes her eyes lit up.  She asked if she could help me put them together.  I was thrilled, and since it is her quilt she might as well like the way it is right? So after the funeral we came home and she started putting them together while I sewed the step 3 strips. And low and behold my scrappy quilt is now pretty organized.  She managed to have 16 of the blocks have the same center {the same as each other, not identical} as well as the same corners. 7 more the same center and the last one has 2 diagonal square matches.

Then we get that finished and she says "I can't wait til tomorrow til we get the next part". She was really upset when I told her it wouldn't be until Friday.  Then she laid claim to all those cute little corner hst's for a quilt for her dolls. And took over my sewing machine.....

I guess it might be time for a quick trip to the LQS for a beginner machine for her!

Jan G.

Rochester, NY.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 1,145

La-Shawn: love your title "fabricologist resource center"!  It is much better than fabric stash and so original. May I borrow it!?!  I also prefer to call mine a "collection of fabrics" since it is, and I happen to be a collector! I am trying really hard to limit my collecting to fabrics now and not other things, like "cats" or "Precious Moments!"  I have lots of each that  I have collected over the years--but sadly, my daughter isn't a collector so she doesn't want any of it.  Have thought maybe I would sell a lot of them and buy more fabric!!!

Love all the color combos I'm seeing.  Still need to cut my squares for Step 1.  I'm now thinking of using several batiks, similar colors (light blues/teals) for my background fabric.

Karen, aka yayaquilts

Southern California

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 1,145

I totally agree with Jeanine and Judy--"It isn't lack of focus. It is overflow of creativity!"

I just might borrow this quote, too!!

Karen, aka yayaquilts

Southern California

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

"My oldest granddaughter loves blue and she is about to be out of 8th grade so a perfect time to make her a quilt."

Love your story!  She sounds like a great girl!  Lucky her to have you for a Grandmother.  Which machine are you going to get her?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Marie:

Judy (Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts) where in MA do you live?

Hi Marie,

Liked your comment about Phyllis looking over my shoulder while I sewed the quilt together.  

I live in Boston. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Janet Hanley:

You are amazing to have your summer challenge nearly complete ...

The MQ6 step 2 is an inspiration. The quilt is really beautiful. The clear crisp simple repetative pattern in red and white is fabulous! Love the story too. It was beautiful in the 1800's and it s just as lovely now!

Janet

Hi Janet, 

Glad you like the quilt!  What can I tell you?--I was the nerd who always had her term papers done 2 weeks early in college!  I'll just have more time to make other quilts this summer!  ;- ) 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Tue, May 15 2012 12:43 PM

Judy,

Not too sure.  There is a 21 stitch Brother at the LQS that looks like it would be something she can learn on and go quite a ways if she really wants to sew and not terribly expensive.  If she hates it later I am not making a gigantic investment in an overpriced doorstop.  She also decided to make some doll clothes for her cousin last night and made 2 little jumpers! I am really impressed.  But not enough to give up MY machine.

Jan G.

Rochester, NY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 305
Ashley replied on Tue, May 15 2012 12:54 PM

Jan:

Judy,

Not too sure.  There is a 21 stitch Brother at the LQS that looks like it would be something she can learn on and go quite a ways if she really wants to sew and not terribly expensive.  ...

I have the 10 stitch Singer that I learned to sew on, and it's still my only machine.  21 stitch sounds REALLY FUN!  What a nice grandma!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,540

Karen, feel free to borrow, I borrowed it LOL

Northern VA

"Fabricologist Resource Center" ...now doesn't that sound more impressive than "fabric stash" ?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 566
Points 10,025
Tami Paul replied on Tue, May 15 2012 4:10 PM

Jan love your story of your grand daughter. Yes, it does sound like it is time for her own haha just so you can get yours back.. The only thing I have seen with the big box store machines is they tend to break in a sewer. My daughter in law has one and every time I go visit , I have to "show her how to fix something" , so let her learn all the little tricks while she is at her grandma. Hope that made sense. Example, not sure , dont remember what she had done, but it would only sew in one spot, took me a sec, cause not my machine, but the stich was set at "0" well of course it isnt going to move. Now I hear from my son that the thread is breaking... must be time for a trip to the big city haha/ have a great week.

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Page 123 of 214 (3204 items) « First ... < Previous 121 122 123 124 125 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use