Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 113 of 214 (3208 items) « First ... < Previous 111 112 113 114 115 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,207 Replies | 110 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 59
Points 1,145

Linda:

Okay well I got a little further along today, But i still need to finish step three. I will have time tonight after putting the kiddo's to bed. If I don't finish up then I will need to work tomorrow sometime. Here is the pictures I have been promising.

Looking forward to Friday in Littleton

Linda

Love the batiks you are using!  Beautiful!!  I'm using a jelly roll of batiks, but it's all colors.  Hope it's as pretty.  Haven't decided what to use for my background color though.

Karen, aka yayaquilts

Southern California

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 275
KarenRN replied on Thu, May 10 2012 3:29 PM

Hi Folks,

2 things: 

Linda, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your batiks!  You are going to have one GOORGEOUSSSSS quilt there girl!!  

I read a post where someone stated they used Mimi's way of matching up points for the Step 3 blocks. I read Jim's way of doing it, but wanted to read Mimi's too.  I can't seem to find Mimi's, where can I find her's? 

Karen in PA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 418
Points 9,240
didash replied on Thu, May 10 2012 4:30 PM

Triangles are taken...will post again if I have more :)

Learned a valuable newbie lesson today...always check measurements after each step...have to spend tonight ripping out at least 48 partial blocks :(  

At least I realized it before trying to assemble the completed blocks! LOL!  Now where did I put my seam ripper???

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 2,765

I agree with all who have said there are going to be some beautiful quilts out there!!!  Since I finished most of step 3 early in the week ...I have been spending time reorganizing and cleaning sewing room.  In going thru some of my plastic boxes I found some HST's that had been cut off before I learned to sew the extra seam or I just didn't do it . So I thought what I will do is use a coffee filter to stabilize them to keep them from stretching. I like coffee filters better than dryer sheets as they tear much easier..... Just a thought for those of you who didn't want to take time to do the second seam. I went to Costco and they have 14 shoe box size plastic boxes  for $19.99  and they are nice. I like having the same size containers . I had such a conglomeration of sizes . Now these will look much better. I may have to get some more. I use them for remnants of finished quilts , and label boxes for finding  easier. .I better get back to work..tomorrow is Friday, I want to be ready....

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155

Oh my Goodness!  Isn't it Friday YET?  LOL.  This week after finishing the last part of the MQ, I started stitching together my civil war mini quilt. At least I guess it's considered a mini.  It's certainly too small to cover up with!  The squares in it are little, just 1 inch finished.  I'll likely finish that tonight....come on Friday!!!

Zeba

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 215
madcallia replied on Thu, May 10 2012 6:05 PM

Wow everyone's quilts are going to be beautiful.  I love all the colors!!

I finally got caught up today.  I didn't think I was going to make it before step 4 came out.  Now I am ready for Friday. 

jill

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Thu, May 10 2012 6:37 PM

Really beautiful.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 2,520
Christine replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:13 PM

Hi KarenRn,

Mimi's post was Tues May 8th at 10:17p.  I took extra time to press half of the seams the other way, but it was worth it. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 418
Points 9,240
didash replied on Thu, May 10 2012 8:18 PM

HELP!!!!  My brain has totally ceased to function.  If I place 2 squares that are 3 7/8" right sides together, then stitch 2 lines 1/4" on either side of the diagonal (making 2 squares of HST when cut on the diagonal line) - What size will should the resulting squares be???  I'm sure this seems like a silly question, but when I originally stitched/sliced/pressed them they all seemed close to, if not, perfect!  Now none seem to be the right size...AAARRRGGH!! I think I need to take a break, but any help is appreciated!  Thanks in advance to anyone who has the answer AND for letting me vent! I'll try not to do it again :(

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,125

Yes, the web site is back up, can't wait to do the step 4!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 198
Points 4,155

This is really exciting! I have absolutely no idea where we are going with this pattern!!!  I"m off to stitch it now!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Fri, May 11 2012 10:23 AM

I was so upset t his morning when I could not access the site.  glad it is back up but at work now so it will have to wait till tonight for me to get it.  I will try to remember to post a pic of the last step.

Paris, Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,877
Points 141,990

Got step 4 completed. That was quick and easy, took me just under an hour. Now I'm free to work on my other projects until next Friday.

I admit I had some panic when there was no website a couple of times yesterday. It wasn't working when I went to bed last night and it struck me just how important QCA has become to me.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, May 11 2012 10:48 AM

Diane

Your HSTs should be 3 1/2 in. when completed.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,410
Points 29,775
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, May 11 2012 11:40 AM

didash:
Thanks in advance to anyone who has the answer AND for letting me vent! I'll try not to do it again :(

Diane, Vent all you want - that's what keeps some of us sane.  Cheaper than a "shrink" and a lot more fun. 

I see Nana answered your question.  If your pieces end up a little small, try a slightly narrower seam - scant 1/4" to allow for thread thickness and fold of fabric.  Both take up a tiny bit of space in the seam.  The space between my stitching lines is usually about a plump 3/8" instead of 1/2 when doing HST.  It is better to have to trim than try to make up in the seam allowance for a too-small piece.  I also do that many times.

didash:
but when I originally stitched/sliced/pressed them they all seemed close to, if not, perfect!  Now none seem to be the right size...AAARRRGGH!!

After rereading this, I noticed you said they seemed closer to size after pressing than when ready to use.  After cooling, the fabric tends to relax and go back to it's "memory state"  I have found out that after ironing your patches, you should let them cool and relax before trimming or they tend to shrink after trimming warm.  It is possible to starch the pieces to keep them the "right" size until sewn to the other patches.  They will "relax" after washing, but so will the rest of the quilt.  I should use this trick myself, but don't take the time.  I just "ease" the slightly larger patch to fit the smaller one.  It works unless there is too much to ease, causing pleats or ruffles in the fabric.

Marsha - Western New York

Page 113 of 214 (3208 items) « First ... < Previous 111 112 113 114 115 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.