Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 107 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 105 106 107 108 109 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,204 Replies | 109 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 42
Points 1,360
Jim replied on Mon, May 7 2012 9:32 PM

Jen,

Can't believe you are doing two of these.  I think my shrink may have an opening!  I have two old pugs, so for the most part they just sleep through it all anyway.  They weigh too much to jump up on the table, thank goodness.  Hope your quilts turn out great, especially after all that work.  Good Luck!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

I guess I need to get hopping on this quilt. I haven't even got my fabric all cut yet. I have been working at the LQS ever since I got back from VB. Our shop owner is on a Mediterranian cruise! And, NO, I don't think the shop is doing all that great! She must have a stash of cash put away somewhere from other sources.  Anyway, next week I should have a free week so I will get going and hopefully get caught up soon. Y"all are doing a great job on yours.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 680
gwen replied on Tue, May 8 2012 9:47 AM

For all you experienced MQers...is it normal to 'hit the wall'...'jump off the bus'... by step 2???   Somehow I suspect not....but being a newbie I have been de-railed already.  16 of my 96 squares were rejects.  Now, I'll be thankful I used all 'scrap' material and NOT my beautiful 'Bittersweet'...such a fitting name.  So shortages is not a problem.  

Seemingly off topic but  be patient, it is relevant:  Here in Ontario we are plagued by nasty little black flies in early spring.  These creatures pack a nasty bite and swarm your head, eyes, ears like there's no other blood source available.  Since June is the worst month there is generally a panic race in May to get all yard/garden work completed before the onslaught.  

Do you see where this is going?  I jumped off the MQ bus into my garden and VICTORY...I beat the arrival (this week) of the enemy....

Now I feel empowered to takcle my MQ but in dire need of words of encouragement...and indeed reasons to continue the insanity.....thankfully the rain will keep me indoors with no excuses....except the piles of neglected laundry and giant dust bunnies taking over the house!!!

• | Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 640
Points 9,640
MaggieNae replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:10 AM

Ok Gwen, here you go.  You are awesome and fully capable of this project.  Look at all of the other things you can do.  This will take time and maybe some chocolate.  Remember, this is supposed to be fun.  If you're having issues, and I'm sure you're not the only one, take a break, refocus (I find a quick game of Freecell helps a lot), and recommit.  Walk away when you need to and know that seam rippers were invented for a reason.  We haven't come up with the term "frogging" (rip-it, rip-it) for just the one or two people who have EVER made a mistake.  Take a look at some of the discussion threads and you'll see that even very experienced quilters have very bad days.  If I can do this, you can do this.  Let us know what problems have arised.  You'll find we're all here to help. 

The Sew Must Go On.

Margaret

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Tue, May 8 2012 10:46 AM

Hi Gwen I agree with MaggieNae, you can do this. Just regroup and give it another shot. If you need the help, let us know where you struggle and help will be there. Personally I own several seam rippers myself.  And many years ago, a really good friend told me that it is the imperfections that make it homemade.  If you want something that looks like it was mechanical made go buy a quilt, but if you want something that has the memories continue on, and remember one day you will laugh cuddle under a quilt. Carry on......

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 305
Ashley replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:01 AM

gwen:

For all you experienced MQers...is it normal to 'hit the wall'...'jump off the bus'... by step 2???   Somehow I suspect not....but being a newbie I have been de-railed already.  16 of my 96 squares were rejects.  Now, I'll be thankful I used all 'scrap' material and NOT my beautiful 'Bittersweet'...such a fitting name.  So shortages is not a problem.  

I'm not an experienced MQer, but I am having my own frustrations with timing.  I have maybe 2 - 3 hours a week to sew, so I am finding it impossible to keep up with a new step every week.  I've got step 1 finished, steps 2 and 3 pinned, but I'm only about 1/4 of the way through sewing my step 2 blocks.  I figure I'll just enjoy everyone else's progress and get mine done as I can.

Unless I missed something, I don't think there's a prize for finishing first!

:)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:07 AM

Mary789:

Dara, those greens, blues, greys and navy colors will make a very nice quilt for a graduation gift.  I like all those leaf prints.

Thanks Mary!   The colors are similar to those I used in a quilt for my SIL.  He just loves it.  I wasn't sure if it was even an appropriate gift to give a teenage boy,  I thought  maybeit could be used on his bed at college or to wrap up in at a football game :-)

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 83
Points 1,005
Jackie replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:10 AM

Gwen,

We all "hit a wall" or "jump off a bus" at some time or another.  But it is time for you to backtrack and get back on the bus.  I am new to MQ also.  I have sewn for 40 years and have only been quilting for about 6 years. Quilting has been a challenge for me as errors can hide quite well in fashion sewing but stand out like a sore thumb in quilting. 

As the other ladies stated, yes take a break and re-focus!  But by all means get back in the game!

I quit sewing for about 6 months after losing my sister, it was a hobby that we shared.  I would have good intentions and try to start a project or finish a ufo only to find that I could not get my mind and body to follow my heart.  Definitely not good for sewing... Well I had signed up for a class at our Quilting Guild's Getaway.  I took a class on Fabric Origami (Always wanted to make something 3-deminsional). In class everything that could go wrong did for me.  Couln't even get my sewing machine to properly sew a straight stitch.  Derailed but not defeated, I stayed up that night until I finished that Block. Before I left the hotel, I tracked down the teacher and showed her my block. Thank God the tear stains didn't show up ;)  She Loved it!  I am still looking for Asian fabrics to complete the Wall hanging or quilt or whatever that block grows into...

So, are the 16 squares really rejects or are you being overly critical?  And if Yes, 16 out of 96 do-overs really isn't that bad ;)

You can do this!!! Where in Ontario are you located..., near Windsor? I may have to whip out my passport and drop in!

Still consider myself new to Quilting,

Jackie - Michigan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 640
Points 9,640
MaggieNae replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:11 AM

Ashley, you'll have time to catch up.  Step three is a quick one.  You'll see.  You'll be all caught up by Friday I bet.

And I agree.  Something Sprout Something sounds better.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 399
Points 5,040
Kristie replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:11 AM

Jim:

Holy Mackerel! Just got Step 1 completed.  Note to Psychiatrist: Why am I doing this???  That was a lot of squares. 

Yep, step 1 was a lot of little squares.  :)  Glad the other steps weren't as long.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,608
Points 52,050
Ginny replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:17 AM

Hey Jackie,  Where are you in Michigan?  I am in Waterford.    Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:24 AM

Hi Gwen.  You must be farther north than I am.  We don't get the black flies but the skeeters are biting already.  I too have spend much time in the garden and when I get into my sewing room there is 2 quilts and 4 placemats staring at me.  We all hit the wall but how can we possibly stay away from our dear machines, they need us so.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:25 AM

Ginny:

Hey Jackie,  Where are you in Michigan?  I am in Waterford.    Ginny

Ginny are you in Waterford Ontario?  I am just down the road from there.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 182
Points 2,685

Gwen, I think everyone who begins to quilt has some doubt  about one thing or another. The important thing is NOT to stress about it. Just relax, your skills will increase as you go. Take it as slow as you need to , its not a road race. As long as you print out the instructions every week you can always go look at them and someone is always around to anwser questions. I am 78 and been sewing since I was 10 and I still make mistakes [ example on MQ6, I was cutting my 4  1/2 inch squares  and cut 1 strip only 4 inches.  Big deal, it will just be for something else.] Mistakes just make us a little more humble.And we do learn something from each one we make. Rule of thumb: Measure twice....cut once.  It doesn't matter how long it takes, when you do see it completed  you will feel warm inside. We are all cheering for you!       Betty

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Tue, May 8 2012 11:37 AM

my boys love their quilts and still tell even after having them for a few years now

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Page 107 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 105 106 107 108 109 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use