Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 65 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 63 64 65 66 67 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,204 Replies | 109 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 105
Traci replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:20 PM

Diane,

I think your blocks look great! Your quilt is going to turn out great with either background color you choose.    I also have a hard time picking out the colors.  Its the hardest part for me.  Luckily I have a quilting buddy that usually goes with me to the quilt shop when I need help with colors. 

Traci

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 220
webstitch replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:23 PM

Hi Karen,

I'm relatively new too, but suppose I can still say Welcome! Love the energy around this MQ.

I also wanted to say that I wasn't going to square up my 4-patches, but I saw others mention doing it, so I started on mine and it is such a frustrating exercise that I have only managed to get through about 25 of them! My 4-patches are either just THIS much too small here or there, or just THIS much to big here and there. Now I see people saying they are cutting theirs down, or not squaring them up at all. This tells me I probably should have gone with my initial instinct and not even tried to square them up at this early stage...Can I get a vote on this? "To square or not to square, that IS the question..."

Toni

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 220
webstitch replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:35 PM

Wow, somehow I emailed copies of this post to myself lol...way too complicated for an old lady...don't see any way to fix it without a re-post......sorry to the eSavvy - the rest will understand lol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:50 PM

WEBSTITCH.  I think we landed on not trimmiing yet.  You may have a better opportunity to correct this later.  If you cut and the issue is elsewhere, you may end up with more peices that are too small.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 641
Points 9,660
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:57 PM

PAT BADDER

In Chula Vista, Quilters Choice, 417 Third Ave, 619-425-2545 has a HQ18 Avante they will train you on and rent to use in shop.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,049
Points 20,025

Sheri - Wonder how many of our blocks are the same???  Love the bittersweet collection

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:34 PM

Gagoo:
We got a new puppy 2 weeks ago and I can't leave him alone long enough to go upstairs to my sewing room.

Gagoo,

What a cutie, and yes I see mischievious written all over that precious face. I got a rottie pup just before Christmas and she has chewed the plugs off of 5 lights and small appliances. Just like toddlers, aren't they. When things are too quiet, they're into something. Good thing they're so cute!!! LOL Enjoy your new furbaby and have many years of love to share....

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:35 PM

Beth Weigt:

Sheri - Wonder how many of our blocks are the same???  Love the bittersweet collection

Beth,

I was wondering the same thing!  There has to be something in future steps that will make each quilt unique.  It will be fun seeing all of the finished quilts in the Bittersweet fabrics.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:38 PM

Stephanie:
Just like toddlers, aren't they. When things are too quiet, they're into something. Good thing they're so cute!!! LOL

At least they grow up a little faster than toddlers!  My "puppy" is now 2 so I went through that stage not so long ago.  Things have calmed down a lot since those days.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I was watching a show from a past season on Fons and Porter program on my local PBS station the other day.  They had a 4 patch in their project. Liz Porter twisted the center of the block and this tiny 4 patch appeared on the back of the block.  This allows the 2nd sewing line to be split like there first seam so the block can lie really flat.  I saw the same technique in quilt book I was looking at yesterday so I gave it a try. It takes a bit of practice but the blocks feel great when it is done and pressed into place.   I love knowing that there are all these itty-bitty 4 patches on the wrong side of the quilt that no one will ever see!   :-)

Do other folks do this routinely?  It seems like a good thing to do.  But is there any downside to doing this to the block?

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:51 PM

Yes Judy I do it routinely when I have the 4 blocks meeting like that.  I only ran into trouble once when I had some blocks meeting up with the seams going the same way but there were still fewer of those than if I had not swirled the blocks so guess it was worth doing.

Judy:

I was watching a show from a past season on Fons and Porter program on my local PBS station the other day.  They had a 4 patch in their project. Liz Porter twisted the center of the block and this tiny 4 patch appeared on the back of the block.  This allows the 2nd sewing line to be split like there first seam so the block can lie really flat.  I saw the same technique in quilt book I was looking at yesterday so I gave it a try. It takes a bit of practice but the blocks feel great when it is done and pressed into place.   I love knowing that there are all these itty-bitty 4 patches on the wrong side of the quilt that no one will ever see!   :-)

Do other folks do this routinely?  It seems like a good thing to do.  But is there any downside to doing this to the block?

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 282
Points 4,710
Sylvia replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:52 PM

Hi Judy,

I did the same thing with all my 4 patches.  They seem to come out a lot better and lay really flat.  I saw it on one of Eleanor Burn's shows and really liked how my patches lay.  I don't see any downside to doing this if all your patches are consistent.  If we do have to join them together they should all lock together properly.

I guess if they shouldn't be that way, then I'll be pressing them all the other way again!  

;~D

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 5:54 PM

Judy:

Thanks for the reminder, Judy.  It really helps the block lie flat.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 469
Points 7,500

MaggieNae:

PAT BADDER

In Chula Vista, Quilters Choice, 417 Third Ave, 619-425-2545 has a HQ18 Avante they will train you on and rent to use in shop.

Thanks Maggie

I know of this shop, but I haven't been in it for several years now. Some years back I used to go there all the time, I even took quilting  classes there. But since I bought a sewing machine table there and had quite a bit of a problem with the owner to order a part for me for the table so my machine will fit I don't go there no more. I had to go directly to the complany about the part myself, They called the owner as the part had to come thru her, she assured them she would contact me as soon as part came in, guess what she never did. Luckily when I went to pick up part she was not there.  I also heard thru some friends that she was supposedly going to close shop. Half the time when I drive by the shop they are not open the usual hours they are suppose to according to their sign. I found a place to do the quilts that are too big for my machine and they are really reasonable compared to taking them to an actual quilter with a longarm. The first few I took to several different quilters and their prices were enormous. The place I go only charges by the hour and I pay a reasonable price per quilt. I am really satisfied with them.

Pat B from Sunny Southern California

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,902
Points 69,325
Bonita replied on Tue, Apr 24 2012 6:44 PM

Elizabeth, pretty squares, nice soft colors.

Page 65 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 63 64 65 66 67 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use