Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 51 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,204 Replies | 109 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 10

This will be my first MQ. I'm so looking forward to what develops.  M

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:07 AM

Christine:
I'm still trying to get the hang of this.....I did reply but it fell to the end of the thread (no pun intended!)

Hi Christine,

When you reply to a post, your reply will go to the end of thread and not right behind the post you were replying to (unless you happen to post to the last post in the thread.)

If you will click on the Quote button at the bottom of that post you are replying to, it will show up at the top of your post and make it clear which post you are replying to.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:15 AM

didash:

OK Everyone...I am in need of SERIOUS help!!!! I stopped in JoAnn's today to pick up a pillow form since they were 50% off and walked out with $35 worth of fabric. And I have no idea what I'm going to do with over half of it!!!! The worst part is, I don't sew! And as I shared previously, I've only made 1 quilt (this MQ is my second) and I never planned on making another...well - maybe just one more (I fell in love with a Mariner's Compass quilt that I would love to make for our V-berth on the sailboat).  What's WRONG with me...I've totally lost control! HELP!!!! Any hints for overcoming these "fabric urges"??? 

Diane Dashevsky - NJ

Really?  $35 of fabric is losing control?  I don't want to know the term that would be appropriate for the rest of us if that is the case!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:17 AM

I need to get out of bed, get some coffee, finish my four patches so I can do what I really need to do today!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 83
Points 1,005
Jackie replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 7:59 AM

Sorry Jeanine...  Give in to the urge!!!

I agree with Diane, if $35 is losing control, the rest of us are beyond words.  Usually when I go to JoAnns or LQS or shop online, my bills are never under a hundred and often go into higher numbers if I am on a bus trip or vacationing in another state.  This past December Dear Hubby spent $300+ for my addiction in Williams, Arizona!  I have been sewing for 40 years now and have bought, traded and frankly given away loads of fabric.  You have a disease; it called "Love of Fabric"!  Now you should understand and relate to the meaning of those bumper stickers that say "She who dies with the most Fabric wins" ;)

Jackie - Michigan ;)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 945
Teresa replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:04 AM

$35.00 is nothing to me.  I take $50.00 a month put in a can i have ( in the budget) and go to the fabric store about every 3 months and hit the sale table. my sewing room is bustting at the seam. need more room.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:22 AM

for the most part, I am trying to buy only fabric that has a specific purpose.  But when I get it home, it doesn't quite go with what I wanted it for.   So my stash still grows.  Only rarely do I see a special fabric I have to have, because you know, it will be gone later.  But these days there are so many special fabrics out there, and I have come to realize that more and more will be coming.  But then I remember that beautiful purple fabric with the bouquets of red roses I had on my wish list at equjilter.  When I went back to buy it, it was already gone.  Some days it is whichever elf sitting on either shoulder that yells the loudest gets her way. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 8:53 AM

Well, my MQ6 fabrics are in the wash and will be ready to start cutting within an hour.  DH is gone for the day, so he won't know yet that I have started another new project. 

I am looking forward to working with all the colors, and have never used a black background before. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,090
Tara replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 9:08 AM

teresa:

$35.00 is nothing to me.  I take $50.00 a month put in a can i have ( in the budget) and go to the fabric store about every 3 months and hit the sale table. my sewing room is bustting at the seam. need more room.

Yes, $35.00 is a great amount to leave with!  My husband would be thrilled with that.  I don't get to go very often right now, because I have three preschool boys.  They don't seem to enjoy the fabric store as much as I do. :) Usually when I get to go I just take the baby and limit myself to around $50.00.  I like the idea of having a designated can for fabric money!  I may set mine out so that it would be available for donations, lol!  My mother in law would probably stick some money in it occassionally.  She doesn't sew, but encourages (enables) my love of quilting (addiction).  I am heading to a quilt shop today that I haven't been to before in order to hopefully find something that screams at me for this mystery quilt.  I was going to pull from fabric on hand, but I think I want a little more variety and need a border fabric.  I will let you all know what I find...

Tara in Delaware

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 9:17 AM

Just a thought to pass on.  With the first MQ, i kept trying to guess what would be next and spoiled the fun for many.  So perhaps a separate forum could be started for those that like to do this.  Those that don't want to know until the end can avoid that forum.  Doesn't mean anyone will figure it out, as I think some MQs have had some unexpected twists in the end.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 9:38 AM

Patti:
for the most part, I am trying to buy only fabric that has a specific purpose. 

That is my current agenda, as well.Sometimes just stepping into the fabric store can send that skittering in the opposite direction. I attended a quilt show twice this past weekend. There were lots of vendors so it was like stepping into many stores. I went with specific purpose of black and white prints to use up pink/rose blocks I had cut. However, I lost my control when I was getting them cut when I saw a block panel on the pile that was waiting to go back onto the tables. I bought just one repeat and it nagged me to the point that when I went back I got another repeat plus companion fabrics. I was taking a stab at amounts needed. I couldn't complain about  the price either. I have enough for the top plus leftovers to start a second project,  inspired by a quilt at the show. Another quilt, also an inspiration from the show quilts, will share fabrics that will be leftover from another quilt. The bonus is I spent well under $100 for fabric, got a few needed notions, and I have a stack of projects that I am really looking forward to working at during the rest of 2012 as two are hand projects. That part of this whole scene is the PRICELESS part for me.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,559
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 9:46 AM

Wow, only $35?  We call Joann the $50 store.  I rarely walk out spending less than that.  Speaking of which...I had to stop to get needles, thread & applique pins.  Walked out with the fabric for my daughter to make the MQ as well!  Here is the fabric for her.  She really likes green, camo & skulls.  Should be fun!

I got a good start on my 4-patches.  I'll post a picture of them as soon as I have them done & ironed.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 7,440
Pat Badder replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:49 AM

Good Morning Ladies! I am up for the day just had my cup of tea will get dressed and head to the sewing machine and start finishing my 4 square blocks. I still have 40 more to do to finish.

Pat B from Sunny Southern California

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 7,440
Pat Badder replied on Sat, Apr 21 2012 10:56 AM

Jackie:

I agree with Diane, if $35 is losing control, the rest of us are beyond words.  Usually when I go to JoAnns or LQS or shop online, my bills are never under a hundred and often go into higher numbers if I am on a bus trip or vacationing in another state.  This past December Dear Hubby spent $300+ for my addiction in Williams, Arizona!  I have been sewing for 40 years now and have bought, traded and frankly given away loads of fabric.  You have a disease; it called "Love of Fabric"!  Now you should understand and relate to the meaning of those bumper stickers that say "She who dies with the most Fabric wins" ;)

I like visiting different quilt stores. When I buy fabrics my total is usually well over $100. But eventually most of the fabrics are used for one project or another. Being in a quilt store is just like  (Chocolate Heaven).. We ladies can call ourselves Fabricnisa's. Happy Sewing to all. Now it is time for me to get to finishing my 4 block squares talk to you all later. I hoping to finish them today.

Pat B from Sunny Southern California

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 54
Points 630

Patti:

for the most part, I am trying to buy only fabric that has a specific purpose.  But when I get it home, it doesn't quite go with what I wanted it for.   So my stash still grows.  Only rarely do I see a special fabric I have to have, because you know, it will be gone later.  But these days there are so many special fabrics out there, and I have come to realize that more and more will be coming.  But then I remember that beautiful purple fabric with the bouquets of red roses I had on my wish list at equjilter.  When I went back to buy it, it was already gone.  Some days it is whichever elf sitting on either shoulder that yells the loudest gets her way. 

Boy! I can sure relate to this. Though I have just begun quilting, I have done many sewing projects in the past and have had the same experience. I think there is nothing so frustrating then seeing some wonderful fabric and even a month later knowing it is the perfect fabric for the project you want to do, you go back only to find it has been sold out and you can't get anymore. But still, I have learned over the years to temper my buying impulses with some wisdom - most of the time anyway.

Page 51 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 49 50 51 52 53 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use