Top 10 Posters

Are You Ready For MQ 6?

Page 15 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3,204 Replies | 109 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:15 PM

Patti:
So I am going to choose a light background.  And medium/dark for all the other colors. 

Good choice, Patti.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:20 PM

sandy274:

Sandy, one bit that's missing from the pattern and pictorial results is the quilting done on the finished top.  Could you include some suggestions on what quilting design would look best with the block layout?  I still have 2 unfinished flimsies of MQ #5 and am anxious to try my hand at free-motion quilting.

Hi Sandy,

One reason there are no pictures of quilted quilts is because I also have a huge pile of MQ UFO's.  LOL!  I've always heard that the quilt will tell you how it wants to be quilted, but either my quilts don't know what they want or I'm too deaf to hear them.  Afraid you're going to have to get quilting ideas from some of the other members.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:28 PM

Annie:
I have to say I was a bit disappointed when I read the recommendation to buy another jelly roll.  Since this is my second MQ, first being MQV, which used jelly rolls, I was a bit let down when I read that.

Hi Annie,

Of the six MQ's we have done, only two of them have used jelly rolls ... it just happens to have been two in a row.  Since I know how much this group loves scrappy quilts, I didn't think they would mind doing two scrappys in a row.

The fabric requirements say to use a jelly roll OR yardage to cut the required squares.  I'm sure many people have plenty of stash to pull the yardage from and with a scrappy like this the more different fabrics you have the more interest your quilt has.  My 2-1/2" squares were all cut from 5" charm packs.

I'm sure that we will do some MQ's in the future that are all cut from yardage and not jelly rolls.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:33 PM

Barbara:

WTG Sherri , I know that is three of us , now .will be intresting to se how we do .. barbara

I'm doing the sample quilt from the kit too.  There is a lot of variety in this grouping with several coordinating colorways.  Really beautiful fabrics.

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:36 PM

lcqultr46:
I actually cut everything this afternoon,

Ok JudyEE, you win the over achiever award!  :o)  I can't believe you got all of this cut out already!

Southwest Florida

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 7:49 PM

Sandy,

I really didn't mean to complain, and I think I will be using up my charm packs as well.  Sorry for the whining....

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 65
RaNita replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:01 PM

Would this project work for a beginner quilter?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:05 PM

Annie, I didn't think you were complaining.  I just want to point out that you can use yardage and be sure you wouldn't miss an opportunity to use up some stash and make room for new stash!

The charm packs work well, but I think they are a little more trouble and time consuming to cut.  At the time I got my kit from MSQ they were out of the Bittersweet jelly rolls so they sent me charms instead.

Southwest Florida

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 340
Molly replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 10:55 PM

?Raspberry Jam" is beautiful.  Haven't done a mystery yet--afraid won't like it, especially scrappy quilts from my stash.  I really need to use up my stash; it's enormous!   What's the secret to having a mystery come out a keeper?  I'm guessing that even with scraps, the fabrics still have to coordinate????

Siren

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 1,035
Alicia replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:38 PM

I'm laughing, too...   we just started MQ4 yesterday - March 29, 2012.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 1,035
Alicia replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:47 PM

I think the key is to have one fabric that you absolutely love - in this case (MQ6 ) it might be the border.  And from that fabric pick out one color and use that for your color for your background .  Then raid your stash with every color that will work with the border and  the background.  Does that make sense ??   Like for mine, I'm going to use a bunch of purples and blues prints from my stash.  A solid-type lavender or really light solid purple as the background and then a border that includes lots of those colors. 

I have lots of trouble just picking up lots of different colors and getting them to coordinate.  So for your first one, it really helps to stay to one or two color families.  good luck. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 1,035
Alicia replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 11:59 PM

I know everyone is saying the same thing, but 628 pieces isn't very many .  It sounds intimidating but once you start cutting into 2  1/2 strips and then cutting them into squares. It will go fast !!! 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 7,270
lcqultr46 replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 12:20 AM

Ok JudyEE, you win the over achiever award!  :o)  I can't believe you got all of this cut out already!

Oh, that's because it's been raining for days and I can't get out in the garden and the wonder of rotary cutters. I have to do something or go stir crazy. The only problem I had was keeping our new puppy out of the material. He's only three months old and can already put his front paws on the table. He thinks his name is DOWN Tino!
JudyEE

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 4:45 AM

Hi everyone.

I 'm Marlene. This will be my first mystery. so be gentle with me. : ) I just ordered the kit from Missouri Star and now has to wait for that.

I think I shall try and Talk Maggie into joining this also. She needs more to do>> LOL Truly she does. LOL

Hugs

Marlene

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,518
Points 48,260
Frances replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 5:21 AM

mars92:

Hi everyone.

I 'm Marlene. This will be my first mystery. so be gentle with me. : ) I just ordered the kit from Missouri Star and now has to wait for that.

I think I shall try and Talk Maggie into joining this also. She needs more to do>> LOL Truly she does. LOL

Hugs

Marlene

Marlene,

Honey my first one as well,  im using a Batik jelly roll that i have had stashed in the drawer didnt know what to use it for, now i do.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Page 15 of 214 (3205 items) « First ... < Previous 13 14 15 16 17 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use