Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 9
Points 90
Mike Pearson Posted: Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:18 PM

I used to have so much trouble laying them together at an angle (right sides facing of course) and getting them to stay put so I could sew on the diagonal. Pinning just wasn't working for me. My Aunt suggested glue stick. I place them together first then lift up the top fabric corner and just do a quick dab (not too close to the seam line). It works like magic. The two strips never budge while I am trying to get to the machine or while I am sewing them together.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:36 PM

Mike

That is a great tip.  I always have the same problem and even though I use glue for lots of things I never thought to use it there.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 2:01 PM

richard, they don't have to be glued where you sitich.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 2:03 PM

i put them together at the machine, pool  the strips so they don't pull on the seam i'm stitching and haven't had a problem.  but i need to break out my glue sticks more, they tend to dry out, because i don't utilize them enough.  thanks for the reminder mike.  and if i haven't said hi already, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 4:11 PM

Sharon schamber uses glue for mitered binding.  she presses it to dry/stick it and then stiches it and pulls the fabric apart to release the glue.  See her Youtube Binding the Angel.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 9
Points 90

Yeah, I barely dab it, and away from the seam line. It doesn't take much, but I love how it stays perfect, then I like to draw the line on it rather than eyeballing it to get the corners to line up with the seam.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

I had trouble at first but I wasn't leaving enough of the binding unstitched to the quilt to allow it to lie flat when I was trying to sew it.  Once I left more of it unstitched, I didn't have any problems.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I have not tried the glue for joining the binding strips yet.  Sharon Shambers uses Elmer School glue, I posted the link before but will again as it is well worth watching..... Binding the Angel

I did use the glue method to hold the binding down instead of pinning and it work really well.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use