My washaway foundation paper won't wash away

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon posted on Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:27 AM

I used a washaway paper on my quilt but it won't wash away. I have washed my quilt twice and now it is soaking in water in the bathtub hoping it will disolve. Most of the paper has disolved but there is about 10 percent still caught under the threads. The paper is less than 4 years old. I tried pulling it out but that distorts the stitches. I printed a quilting design on the paper then used the spray glue that is used for holding the layers together to hold the paper on the quilt. I've done this on other quilts with no problem. Is there any other way to remove the paper without distorting the stitching? 

Toledo, OH

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 12:39 AM

how frustrating for you sharon.   it's a beautiful quilt, bah humbug,  on the manufacturer for not responding.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 1:17 AM

Gini, it's been more than enough time for the manufacturer to respond, makes you think twice about their other products too.

Toledo, OH

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 35

Sharon,  Just so you know, I'm having the same issue.  I didn't use any spray glue anywhere.  I've soaked mine twice and tried adhesive remover.  No solution yet.  I'm hoping one posts here!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,459 Posts
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 2:39 PM

Sharon  - did you ever get the paper out?  I have never had a problem with washaways - I do have a couple different ones that I use and I do use glue with one of them but it is also a washaway glue that I use or water soluble.  I so hope at sometime that this problem goes away for you!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 2:48 PM

phx2azo, welcome to the group.   did you use the same brand as sharon, the dritz?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 10:25 AM

I did by removing the stitches. I tried to use tweezers to grab the paper under the stitches but it stuck to the stitches and distorted them. The paper stuck under all of the stitches, not just some of them. I like to print the stitching designs on the paper because I can easily adjust the size of the designs to fit each project, it's cheaper than buying a template for each project. I used the quilting basting spray that washes away, or at least it is supposed to. I also use wrapping tissue papper, it pulls out easily and does not distort the stitching. I cut the tissue paper 1/2 smaller than the printer paper, then tape it to the paper, print then separate. It's much cheaper than the washaway paper. Any little leftover bits can be brushed away with a lint brush.

Toledo, OH

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 10:32 AM

Welcome phz2azo,

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem! If I ever hear from the manufacturer I'll post their response. Have you tried brushing vinigar on a small area? I am not woking this week so I am going to make a small sample from scrap and try other household cleaning and cooking products to see if that will remove the glue. I loved how the spray baste held the paper in place securly with out any distortion. It was soooooo easy!  

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use