Measuring Trick for More Accurate Cutting

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,520
Points 30,960
Diana Posted: Tue, Feb 28 2012 8:46 AM

I always had trouble cutting fabric and have my blocks come out the right size.  I included the width of the measuring line for cutting instead of having the line just meet the edge of the fabric.  I found that takes up the thread or two that the seam takes up.  My blocks measure the right size now.

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 9:08 AM

Diana,

Im definitely going to be more aware of that next time. My problem is that I'm afraid I won't be consistent in the thread widths. Maybe I should get stronger reading glasses, hehe

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 230

Thanks Diana. I am going to try that.

'Betty

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,578
Points 246,577
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 11:46 PM

Another thing you should be aware of when cutting your fabric - all rulers are not the same - always use the same brand of ruler - and if you measure from the edge of the line then always measure from the edge of the line - if you measure from the center - then always measure from the center... take a little extra time - I always say measure once, twice sometimes three times and cut once... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,578
Points 246,577
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 16 2012 11:46 PM

Another thing you should be aware of when cutting your fabric - all rulers are not the same - always use the same brand of ruler - and if you measure from the edge of the line then always measure from the edge of the line - if you measure from the center - then always measure from the center... take a little extra time - I always say measure once, twice sometimes three times and cut once... 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,219
Points 16,415
Susan replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 12:07 AM

Thea, Thanks for saying that all rulers are not the same, as I posted that once and got back some yes they are answers. That was one of the first things they told us in classes.   Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 7:05 AM

The lines on the cutting mat can be off as well.  I use those for a general guide only.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 7:16 AM

Thea I agree I have several ruler that I tested and not one of them measured the same ,,but to I want to mention that they were differnt brands. My best advice is always do the little syaing that Thea says , You know that should be a sign on our wall .so we can always see it . LOL, Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Mar 17 2012 8:42 AM

Good advice, Diana.  I also agree with Thea.  I have found that my mat's markings are not consistent with my rulers.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Diana,  Thank you for this advise.  I read this when I posted a question about measuring.  My squares were not coming out the right sizes.  When I used your suggestions, my square came out perfect.  I really appreciate the help and advice.  I wish I had some good ideas to post to help other people also the same way you really helped me.  Again, thank you.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 640
tidesout replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 5:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will pay closer attention.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060
Caryl Anne replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 11:54 AM

Yesterday, I watched a program that I recorded last year from Love of Quilting, it didn't have to do with the differences in rulers, but it showed me again what I thought about when I first read this thread. Their mat has NO markings. they use the ruler only, My mat is old and has several yellow lines no longer visible in the cutting area, and the price of mats has skyrocketed, Sew i am going to just turn that big boy on it's back side and see how that works for me. As you all have stated I have several rulers that are not Omnigrids as my mat is, so they do not align well. I have purchased a new not yellow lined ruler as I needed one for the degrees and I couldn't get that straight with the lines so bold. I believe someone else said something about the yellow lines being too bold to see through them when doing using the degree markings, sometimes it looks right then the units just don't line up where they should I hate to unsew.

Carylanne
in Texas

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 285
Melissa replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 9:40 PM

I need to start doing that because I've been having the same problem. I flipped my cutting mat over to the plain green side because the grid is distracting to me.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use