Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
chicagosinger Posted: Mon, Feb 27 2012 6:17 AM

Hi all! I'm new to this site and new to quilting. In fact, I'm just getting ready to begin work on my first quilt. If you had asked me 10 years ago would I be into crafts, I'd have laughed! However 6 yrs. ago I became disabled and found my self homebound and bored stiff. I decided to learn to paint, then knit and crochet, jewelry making and now quilting. When I was a child, I remember my mom trying to no avail to teach me how to do these things. Of course, I wanted to do other things, which mostly involved me getting into trouble. I think my mom would have one heck of a laugh if she knew that I wanted to learn now! Anyway, here I am.. ready and willing to learn! This site looks like a great place for help, ideas and anything else that involves quilting.

Take care!

chicagosinger

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,662
Points 136,142
Leslie replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 6:48 AM

Hi Chicagosinger, welcome. You will find alot of great advice and tips here

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 570
Rosa replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 6:50 AM

Welcome! Im a newcomer too!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 20,343
Points 254,944
Barbara replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:54 AM

Chicago welcome to the club, you will love it here , great people and lots to keep us busy , Have fun. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:18 AM

Chigagosinger.  I think I read somewhere else that you plan to make your first quilt a king size quilt?  You might be better off making the first one smaller quilt.  Or at least start small if possible, and if it is going together well, increase the size, all the way to king if it feels good. 

But there are so many tricks to learn that will make things easier, and save you time.  Some things that look easy are actually tricky, and can be very frustrating. 

There is someone else who did a very large Baltimore album quilt as her first.  She kept at it and ended up with an extraordinarily beautiful quilt, that even an experienced quilt would be proud of. 

But welcome to the group, keep us posted on your progress and ask us for tips on those tricky things if needed.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:54 AM

Welcome Chicagosinger.  Jump right in and do what you think you will be comfortable with, but I too wouldn't start that large...practice on smaller pieces first...lap quilts, throws, etc.  One of my first quilts was a king-sized and I almost quit quilting because of it.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,826
Points 43,854
Eileen replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 9:59 AM

Welcome, chicagosinger :-)  Sounds like you're a very creative person!  This is definitely a great place to get advice, assistance, and sometimes a good laugh. We have lots of fun here and still manage to get some quilting done.

I am by no means an expert quilter but if, as your name suggests, you live in Chicago as I do, I am willing to offer what assistance I can to a newbie like yourself. If you would like to "talk" off-forum, click on my name & then click on "add as friend".  Once I see your request at my end & click accept, we can have a private conversation. No offense taken if you'd rather not, but the offer stands.  I could also recommend some area quilt shops that offer classes.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:03 PM

Chicago

Welcome to the site and hope you enjoy your time with us.   I also took up quilting after I became disabled.   It is now a passion and very much a therapy that keeps me sane.   OK ladies ,...  semi sane....LOL>   Feel free to ask any question you may have.  There is always someone that can help.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,338
Points 249,962
Thea replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 12:23 PM

Welcome Chicago Singer to the QCA site and get ready to be hooked.  I did all sorts of crafts growing up - loved them all but when I found quilting I never turned back - am hooked - hook line and sinker.  We have several members from the Chicago area - one is my good friend Eileen and she is a librarian up there - you two should get to know each other and she can help you bunches.  She is good people!  

I am very happy to make your acquaintance and should you have any questions feel free to ask there are tons on here ready willing and able to help in anyway you need it - you just need to ask!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,590
Points 392,187
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 6:37 PM

Welcome Chicagosinger.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Welcome Chicago Singer.  I grew up in Chicago!  I finally got smart and moved somewhere warmer.   :o)   Glad to have you on board. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Welcome to the club Chicagosinger.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,590
Points 392,187
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:47 PM

roswater:

Welcome! Im a newcomer too!

Welcome Roswater.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,782

Chicagosinger and Roswater--

Welcome to QCA, a great place to pick up all sorts of quilting info and just plain fun.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 96
Points 2,020
Barb S replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:37 PM

Whoa! -- Chicagosinger -- never knew there were so many Chi-town folks on here until I saw the responses to your post.  I grew up and spent most of my adult life on the Northside -- transplanted now to Missouri..

Welcome to QCA..  I have been been quilting for about six months and love this site for ideas, tips, problem-solving and fun.  Everyone here is very helpful.  Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.