Quilt Top

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580
Melissa Halpain posted on Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:43 PM

How many of you actually do your own quilting.  How many of you pay to have someone else do the quilting for you.  I am just learning free motion quilting and I'm wonder if it is worth it. The instructor told me to practice everyday for 20 minutes for 21 days and at the end of 21 days, I should have it down.  Thank you for your input.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 1,240
diane replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 6:49 PM

Although I am a beginner, I am quilting my own (largest so far was 60 inches square) projects.  I'm a "lone quilter" so there is no one to tell me I can't do [fill in the blank] or I don't have the skills to do [fill in the blank].

Admittedly, some of my pracitce projects go to The Linus Project but others are good enough to keep or give as gifts (and TLP loves my personal "not good enough" rejects.)

I think the advice you received is excellent - practice!

Chews Landing, NJ

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,788 Posts
Points 122,730

I machine quilt all my own quilts. I have a Viking with a 10" throat. It's pricey to send your quilts out to a long armer but that's only one of the reasons I do my own.  Even though it is a bit tedious to machine quilt and I'm always anxious to get on to the next one, I like the satifaction of making it entirely my own quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:10 PM

Melissa,

I have quilted a couple of small things on my sewing machine.  Nothing fancy just in the ditch stuff.  I hand quilted my first quilt.  It was a queen sized quilt that I gave to my son.  The rest have been sent to someone to long-arm for me. Mainly for 2 reasons 1) It would take me too long to do myself  and / or 2) I didn't want to mess it up because it was a gift.  I've had a couple large quits done for my DD & her DH.  The others were for people at work.  I have a couple projects now in the works that I intend to try to quilt for myself.  I just haven't gotten to them yet.  It is that practice, practice, practice that I intend to get started on.  Since I am still working it is hard to find the time...

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

Judy, I have to agree with you.  I would feel that I didn't make the whole thing myself. Thanks so much for your input.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:19 PM

Melissa

I have always quilted all of my own projects on my home machine.  I even do oversize kings that measure 120 in square.  Practice does help but alot of times I practice while I quilt my quilt.  Never feel like you can't do something yourself.  I hate when other quilters tells a new quilter that something is beyond their skill level.  Each time you do something you get better.  And unless you are doing a quilt to show nobody but you will notice the mistakes.   Just relax and have fun. That is what quilting is supposed to be about.,   Not perfection.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
55 Posts
Points 1,235
Lori replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:26 PM

I do my own.  One time, I sent on to be quilted.  It cost more than $200 and their were wrinkles in the back, which they blamed on me.  It does take some time, but in the end, you can say You did it all.  I recently started venturing outside of meandering thanks tot the encouragement of everyone here.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

Lori,

That's really sad to blame that kind of thing on you when you took the time to make it and the money to pay for a good job.  That is exactly what I would be afraid of happening if I sent one out.  Diane, that is a great idea to donate a quilt.  Thank you for everyone's input.

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 500

I am learning the art of free motion quilting but i think that it is a skill that takes years to acquire

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 500

good for you  -  I follow Lea Day's blog and news letters  -  she had some good information.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I had no desire to quilt my own quilts on my small machine.  I LOVED bringing quilts to the LAQ and was so excited to get them back.  I never even thought about it not being all my work.  I think my fasination with the unlimited possibilities of a longarm led me, eventually, do buying my own.  You just can't beat that look!  I have talked to others about this same subject and I ask them what they enjoy doing most.  If they don't enjoy quilting but love to do the tops, then make the tops and leave the rest to a LAQ.  Much less stress.  If you are really fasinated with doing the quilting yourself then by all means learn to quilt.  This is such a personal choice and there is no wrong answer. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:55 PM

hi janey, welcome to the group

no, it doesn't take years. more like days or weeks, depending on how comfortable you are with your machine and how much you've sewn.  start small with simple patterns and you'll branch out quickly. 

i send out most of my larger stuff and do all of my smaller stuff.  i'm figuring out that if i want it done my way, i need to do it.   the problem is, i love making the tops and get bored with the rest.   i get so many tops done that they start stacking up and i need to clear them out to make room for more quilt tops.   i am fixin to tackle 4 queen tops this year.   i sent them out to be basted, they are staring me in the face, i need to get busy on them. 

one of the reasons i want to start doing the bigger quilts myself, is the amount of quilting i want on them.  it gets prohibitively expensive when i want densely quilted queen sized quilts.   so i practiced on a smallish quilt this week.  i'll post it when i get home.  it isn't perfect, but i'm happy with it. and like nana, i don't practice much,  i just go at it.     with this quilt i doodled on one page of some graph paper to get my sizing where i wanted it.  and if i feel stiff, i will quilt a few minutes to loosen up on a  small scrap andwich.  and i do mean a few minutes,  any time not quilting  on the quilt is wasted time.  if you use thread that matches the background as close as possible,, you won't see the stitches much.  another thing i've found.   when i've quilted a quilt and am not happy with it, if i put it away for a week or two and get it out.   it looks much better than i remembered.   some little quilting gnomes must get in the closet and straighten my stitches when i'm not looking.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,249 Posts
Points 25,305

I have always quilted my own quilts.  I like knowing I have donw everything from start to finish.  I enjoy the quilting as much as the piecing.  I bought a longarm in July of last year and am having to relearn how to FMQ.  It is very differant on a longarm but I am gertting it.

Just keep on practicing and you will do fine.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,356 Posts
Points 31,985

Melissa,

I do both...I quilt some of my quilts on my own sewing machine at home. Others I send out to a friend who does beautiful stipple quilting. She is very reasonably priced so I don't feel like I can't afford to have her do some of my quilts. She only does stippling, and only does 48 inches square or smaller. And when I give them to her I don't set a time frame for her to have them back to me.

If I am doing a quilt that doesn't lend itself to stippling, or is larger than 48", then I do the quilting. It has taken some practice but my stitching in the ditch is staying in the ditch where it should be, and my straight-line quilting is  pleasing me now. I am just getting the confidence to try FMQ. The only thing holding me back is me.  I just need to jump in and practice practice practice. 

I definately feel like popping my buttons when I have quilted a top and it looks just like I wanted it to look! I haven't had to depend on someone else's judgement about what looked best on a quilt I made. Will I stop using my friend when I learn to FMQ? Probably not, unless she goes up from what she is charging me now.  She does beautiful work, and it allows me to produce more quilts for donations. It frees me up to quilt on special tops myself.   So I am enjoying both worlds: quilting my own tops, looking forward to expanding my FMQ skills, and enjoying someone else quilting some of my tops for me.

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I do my own quilting. Before I got my frame I did mostly stitch in the ditch on my domestic and some shadowing around my appliqued blocks on the grands crib quilts.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use