Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 96
Points 2,025
Barb S Posted: Fri, Feb 24 2012 8:47 PM

I tried using quilters gloves and gardening gloves for quilting on my home sewing machine, but was frustrated by having to put on and remove the gloves so often.  

My husband purchased a product called Flexx-Rap that is similar to an Ace bandage material, but looks a bit like blue painter's tape in the package.  It is stretchy and adheres to itself ---stays in place  -- my husband uses it to help him grip tools and small fasteners in his woodworking shop.  

I wrap it in a band that encircles all four fingers on each hand.  It prevents my hands from slipping on the fabric when I am quilting but leaves the tips of my fingers free.  I can slide the bands off and on -- and have re-used one set of bands for several days.

My husband purchased a package of 6 rolls for $19.99.  I do not know if the product is available in single rolls and/or if it is available under any other brand name -- but it is very similar to the self-adhering medical wrap used for binding up sprains.

Just thought I would share this alternative to gloves.

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,240
diane replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 5:46 AM

The stuff is also called "vet wrap" which we use on our horses all the time.  At Tractor Supply or the feed store or the local tack shop (LTS?) the cost is about $1.50 a roll.

Chews Landing, NJ

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 7:41 AM

You can also use that rubber-like shelf liner stuff.  Cut rectangles and use them like pads.  Saw this on one of the craftsy.com courses.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:47 AM

Barb,

I didn't like using the clunky quilting gloves either but I tried machingers and LOVE them. They do run a bit big so if you buy they I recommend a size smaller. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 10:47 AM

I was using the clunky garden glove and they work just fine.  When I started the lessons with Leah day, I got some of her machingers and they are very nice, just the tips of the fingers are rubberized.   Taking them on and off hasn'tt been a red button issue with me, oddly.  I usually get annoyed with stuff like that, too.   Maybe it' s because I'm still learning and I don't know enough about what to get bothered by.    : )

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:39 PM

Nice tip Barb. Betty Bands work the same way.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 80
Points 1,265
Glenda replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:48 PM

I tried using gloves but found that I couldn't slide my hands across the quilt when I needed to.  I loved the way they gripped the material, but when I needed to move my hands over so I could keep sewing they kinda stuck then too. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:49 PM

that's one of the reasons i like the machingers,  only the tips are rubberized

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 2,230
Nancy replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 5:03 PM

I really like using my quilting gloves.  My fingers seem to slide all over the place if I don't use them.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,292
Points 29,205
Agnes replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 9:55 PM

gini:
only the tips are rubberized

I loved mine except I always felt they ran big but alas I have worn the rubber off the tips but then I've used them for at least 6 years, quite possibly more.Time to get a new pair though I will try some other suggestions as well.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Feb 26 2012 10:04 AM

The nice thing about machingers is that I don't have to remove them when I have to rethread my needle. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use