Has anyone used Thangles?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 45 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:04 AM

I just learned about thangles and was wondering what you all thought about them???

• | Post Points: 125

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,422 Posts
Points 40,360
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:10 AM
Verified by Annie

Nana:
I plan on using the triangulations program when I am going to be making a large number of blocks.  If it is just a few I will continue to use the 1/4 measure and mark my block.

I like your idea Nana.  And I also make the block 1/8 bigger and cut it down.  There are so many ways each one should just pick the technique that makes you happy. 

BTW I think you were liking the asterisk block from the Craftsy BOM.  I found a pattern this AM as I was looking through magazines.  If you have Quiltmaker May/June 2010 there is a scrappy quilt made with just asterisk blocks on pages 51 -53.  Not trying to give you more to do just saw it this morning and thought of you.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Annie ,they did have the software on  Connecting Threads and it was five dollars cheaper then Amazon. So I ordered it .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 5:38 PM

Barbara,

and to think I just placed an order with them.  Of course making sure I spent $50 to get free shipping.  I think it will have to way to wait till I need more stuff...

It's definitely on my list, however.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 345
Susan replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 10:02 PM

I have used Thangles for a Christmas tree skirt (Thangles pattern).  They were fine to work with but then I discovered an acrylic little tool that works great!  Fons and Porter have them and so does "Quilter's Rule" .  It's called a "1/4 Inch Seam Marker".  For me, just as easy to work with and I don't have to rip the paper off.  Here are pictures:  

Fons & Porter Quarter Inch Seam Marker

Hope this helps!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:56 AM

Susan,

I have the larger of the two that you show.  I have used it and have liked it, I guess I'm always searching for different gadgets. Change things up a bit, I guess. 

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 345
Susan replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 9:51 AM

Me, too!  So I went from Thangles to the marker template and you're going the other way.  The reason I did it was that (1) the paper didn't rip always rip off so easily and I was having to pick out little pieces of paper from the stitch seam (which means more time involved) , and (2) that could be A LOT of paper (which means waste and a lot more trees dying just for my love of quilting!). But I do want to say that with Thangles, I got perfect squares. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 10:28 AM

Susan,

Thats  right, I never thought about the paper waste.  I was thinking of using foundation paper but that would certainly add to the expense. 

Will sit on it a bit. Probably get the program sooner or later,  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 10:56 AM

Ladies you can always set a trash can at your table just for paper and recycle.  Then it isn't such a "waste" of paper,.    I plan on using the triangulations program when I am going to be making a large number of blocks.  If it is just a few I will continue to use the 1/4 measure and mark my block.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,784
gini replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:00 AM

Are these things for making HST's.     You can make them without paper.   You draw the grid right on the lightest cloth with your ruler, put your fabrics right side together and stitch 1/4 inch from the lines on both sides then cut apart.  Saves on expensive rulers and trees.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:04 AM

Hey, just had a thought. What if we used one copy and used it like the old fashioned pattern using tracing paper and that little tracing tool .  Then just sew on the chalked lines.  Brings me back to 8th grade home ec class. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,344 Posts
Points 414,784
gini replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:06 AM

I think a pencil line is thinner and would be more precise to follow.   You need to be exactly 1/4 inch fron that line.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,422 Posts
Points 40,360
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:10 AM
Verified by Annie

Nana:
I plan on using the triangulations program when I am going to be making a large number of blocks.  If it is just a few I will continue to use the 1/4 measure and mark my block.

I like your idea Nana.  And I also make the block 1/8 bigger and cut it down.  There are so many ways each one should just pick the technique that makes you happy. 

BTW I think you were liking the asterisk block from the Craftsy BOM.  I found a pattern this AM as I was looking through magazines.  If you have Quiltmaker May/June 2010 there is a scrappy quilt made with just asterisk blocks on pages 51 -53.  Not trying to give you more to do just saw it this morning and thought of you.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Annie:

Hey, just had a thought. What if we used one copy and used it like the old fashioned pattern using tracing paper and that little tracing tool .  Then just sew on the chalked lines.  Brings me back to 8th grade home ec class. 

Annie, that is were those frixion pens come in so handy ,they just iron off and they give you a good fine line. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 2:59 PM

Mimi

I do like the asterick block.  I will have to give a scrappy quilt with that block some thought.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
18 Posts
Points 250

I use Thangles all the time and love them.  When I first started using them, I wasn't so thrilled but the more I used them, the better I liked them.  I get mine at my LQS.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Melinda you have some really nice shops in the Tulsa area ,I am doing a Civil war Stars BOM form Sew Flakes which is in Broken Arrow ,they have a really nice shop if you never been there you have to go it is really wonderful .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use