Has anyone used Thangles?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 45 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Thu, Feb 23 2012 11:04 AM

I just learned about thangles and was wondering what you all thought about them???

• | Post Points: 125

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,403 Posts
Points 40,040
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:10 AM
Verified by Annie

Nana:
I plan on using the triangulations program when I am going to be making a large number of blocks.  If it is just a few I will continue to use the 1/4 measure and mark my block.

I like your idea Nana.  And I also make the block 1/8 bigger and cut it down.  There are so many ways each one should just pick the technique that makes you happy. 

BTW I think you were liking the asterisk block from the Craftsy BOM.  I found a pattern this AM as I was looking through magazines.  If you have Quiltmaker May/June 2010 there is a scrappy quilt made with just asterisk blocks on pages 51 -53.  Not trying to give you more to do just saw it this morning and thought of you.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:29 AM

Barbara, I saw they offered on line.  Nana, where did you get yours?  and are the prices basically the same everywhere?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:35 AM

Does anyone know if Triangulations Program works on a MAC??

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
641 Posts
Points 16,270
Zsofia replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:43 AM

Annie:

Annie,

Triangulations 2.0 takes half-square and quarter-square triangle construction to a whole new level. Imagine the freedom of having any size triangle foundation in your hands at the touch of a button. Runs on any PC or Mac computer with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

http://softexpressions.com/software/cd/Triangulation.php

It looks like these run on MAC too just have to have Adobe reader on your MAC.

Zsofia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,773 Posts
Points 247,869

Annie I just checked out Amazon, it says it works on Mac ,but the reviews state it doesn't work well .So I don't really know what to tell you . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 10:04 AM

Barbara,

I saw that as well, I am reluctant to get it if I can't be sure it works right on my  MAC.  I am posting my question on another forum and hope to get a definitive answer.  I'll let everyone know here what I find out,

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
362 Posts
Points 8,312

I have the Triangulations 2.0 and have used it quite a bit.  It works well.  My computer is an XP version so I don't know about MAC.

Not Ranked
11 Posts
Points 70

Hi Annie

I've used Thangles in the past, and they worked very well.  My triangle squares and quarter square triangle squares were perfectly sized and never creatively shaped.  (I'm proud of that term, cuz before Thangles, some of my 'squares' were anything but square. ha ha ha)  I have the best luck if I use a really short machine stitch - then I don't have any problems removing the paper.  Just be sure to hold the stitching line tightly when you are taking off the paper.  If you don't, I've had the block stretch a little because of the pressure on the seam as I rip the paper off. 

Thangles are great if you need a few triangle squares.  They come printed vertically on strips of paper, so you can make just one, or a whole strip (I think that gives you 4 or 5 - but it depends on the size of the triangle squares you are making.  they come on about 11" long paper)

I also have the Triangulations software.  It also works very well.  For me, the software works the best if I have lots of triangle squares to make at one time, because it prints to cover a standard sheet of paper, so it is easiest for me to sew the entire sheet instead of thinking my way through which sewing lines to follow and which cutting lines to follow so the remainder of the page could still be used.. 

Hope this helps, Vicky M

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:19 AM

What in the world is Thangles?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,696 Posts
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:44 AM

Annie

I got mine from Connecting Threads.  I think it is on sale right now if I remember correctly.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,187 Posts
Points 238,912
Thea replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 12:39 PM

Arzella:

What in the world is Thangles?

Thangles are papers that you pin to your fabric and sew on the line to make half square triangles - you don't have to do any measuring - just cut strips of fabric - pin the thangles on and sew where it tells you to sew - cut where it tells you to cut and wah lah - you have 1/2 square triangles the size you need.  They come from I believe 1" to about 5" - they may have some smaller but I don't remember - they are made in 1/2" increments in the sizes.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,187 Posts
Points 238,912
Thea replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 12:41 PM

CasaManana:
ust be sure to hold the stitching line tightly when you are taking off the paper.
An easy way to sew and get the paper off...

sew with a stitch length of 1.5 on digital machines or 14 on machines that are not - then fold the paper back after you sew it - crease with the fingernail along the seam line - hold and pull in the middle - from the middle to the edges - that way you will not pull out stitches on the ends... 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,187 Posts
Points 238,912
Thea replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 12:45 PM

I only use thangles when I am doing the thangles BOM that the quilt shop in my area makes - it is a program called Buck a Block - so at the end of the year you have enough blocks to make a full/queen size quilt - most years you make 2 blocks a month - all for $1 - the strips are all cut for you and you just need to buy one package of Thangles...

Other then that I would rather cut the squares and draw the line down the middle - then square up and use my 1/2 square triangles - if I have to make more then a couple I make a grid on a square of fabric and do it that way... I hate trying to rip the paper off - although I can say that thangles are pretty good with no tiny pieces left on the block... I am just old school for this  and I do like the math and drawing the grid...lol...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,403 Posts
Points 40,040
Mimi replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 3:52 PM

Nana:
I actually ordered the Triangulations program today.

I have theTriangulations program that only has the triangles on it and I love it.  One bit of warning; be sure to print out and check the inch square that comes at the bottom of the pattern pages.  You may have to adjust your printer to get exact triangles.  I know I did.  Have fun.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,403 Posts
Points 40,040
Mimi replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 3:56 PM

Annie:

Annie, I have a MAC and the only problem I have with it is making sure the size of the triangles is correct.  You have to go into the printer controls and play with the percentages for the sizing.  Just be careful to check the inch square that comes with the pattern when you print it out.  Don't trust that it will be what it says.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 5:00 PM

Mimi,

Thanks for your input.  I wanted to know if it worked ok on a MAC.  Adjusting the printer settings to ensure correct squares shouldn't be that difficult and definitely not a deal breaker for me.  I think I will go ahead and order it too.

Love ya guys!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use